Hey gang, I've been looking at tubes to replace the ones in my amp and theres a lot that I don't really understand, this being my first tube amp and all. How important is it to get a matched set of tubes? I've got 4 6L6 tubes that I need to replace, so if I were to get 2 matched sets of 2 would that work fine? Also I've got 5 12AX7 tubes I need to replace as well. If I were to buy 5 individual tubes would they work fine or would I need to make sure they're matched? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gang!
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Firstly are you sure you need to replace both the pre and power tubes?

Secondly you can buy matched sets of four tubes for amps that need that many.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's a good idea to get a matched quad of power tubes. It doesn't cost any more than two matched pairs, so there's no reason not to.
Preamp tubes do not need to be matched. The only thing to consider is that sometimes a tube with matched sections is desirable in the phase inverter. It depends on your amp and personal preference- it can sound better, worse, or just the same. You might want to get one matched 12AX7 for the phase inverter so you can try it. If you don't like the effect you can always use one of the other non-matched preamp tubes.