I was at GC yesterday and played an American, and I could not tell the difference between that and my Mexican.....any explanations?
If you could not tell the difference you don't deserve one.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by MrDinkleberry
If you could not tell the difference you don't deserve one.

****in' right man. Leo couldn't have said it better himself lol.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
I'm a fender n00b so can some one just sumarise this 'omg you total n00b' attitude being displayed in this thread?

Do mexican fenders suck?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
No they don't. I was talking to this guy who used to work at Long & Mcquade(guitar store), and I asked his opinion about them, his words "To tell you the truth man, I've dealt with some MIM guitars that can't even keep up with low end un-modded Squiers, but I've dealt with ones that would compare to some MIA ones".

So basically it's a "Hit or Miss" situation. you have to try them out.
Quote by sum_ugly_man
No they don't. I was talking to this guy who used to work at Long & Mcquade(guitar store), and I asked his opinion about them, his words "To tell you the truth man, I've dealt with some MIM guitars that can't even keep up with low end un-modded Squiers, but I've dealt with ones that would compare to some MIA ones".

+1
The same goes for Epiphones.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
+1 you really need to find one you like if you are on a budget and if it sounds good to you, without an amp as well, then there is a good chance you have a good one.

Edit: you already have one, glad i re-read

it is true that the hardware and pickup are not as good but i think it is a helluva guitar for dollar spent if you get a good one. i also recently changed swapped my humbucker out for an SD-JB and there was much tone improvement

personally, i think a good question would be does the $500-600 delta between the two make it worth it? i know that if i had gotten and American Standard at the time I got my MIM i would have had no money for amp or pedals. please keep in mind i am just a beginner here.
;
I am debating if I wanna get rid of my Mexican strat because I think it is very good....also dont make fun of me for this.....I cant remember how my MIM was when I bought it, but when you buy and electric is the wood usually dry and than it gets smoother or something as you play it, same with the fret board.......sorry I haven't boughten a guitar in 2 years.
As with any guitar, just play the one your gonna buy to make sure it's good. Even with $2000 Gibson Les Paul Standards you could get a lemon. With a good set up by someone with some experience, an MIM can play just as good as an MIA but it'll still have the crappier tone due to those cheap stock pickups... let's face it, those stock pickups suck.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
The stock pups on a MIM Strat aren't that bad, I find.

TS, the differences between your MIM Strat and my MIA Strat are that my guitar has rolled edges on the fingerboard/neck, and has been buffered to a high gloss; so my fretboard's shiny. The back of the neck is smoother on mine, too, I think. Plus, I heard MIA's are made with fewer pieces of wood.

In general, I would say my MIA plays better than any Mexican Strat I've tried.
You can buy a very 'new' used american for the same price as a mexican--that's the way I would go.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Main difference would be, quality and playability. If you slap on some good pick ups on a good MIM strat, it could probably give a MIA strat a good run for its money. However, with all those mods,you might consider getting a MIA strat anyhow. I've played both at the GC before, tried the MIM strat, didn't quite like the feel of the fretboard. Then I moved on to a MIA Deluxe Strat...Wow, the neck is awesome, really smooth and great to play on.It sounded better, more richer, refined compared to the MIM strat.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
MIM's aren't bad. I had one as my main guitar for years (but changed the pickups, pickguard, etc)

If you're to the point in your playing where you can notice the difference in quality, feel, tone and details, then there is no doubt which one you want. If you can't tell the difference, then buy the cheaper. Simple.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by sum_ugly_man

i'd agree. i've tried ones which were quite nice, and others which felt little better than starter guitars. cheaper instruments have to penny-pinch somewhere... often that's in less stringent QC...

Quote by dgonz
If you're to the point in your playing where you can notice the difference in quality, feel, tone and details, then there is no doubt which one you want. If you can't tell the difference, then buy the cheaper. Simple.

+1

or you could also consider different brands...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you're going to mod it a lot, I think that MIA aren't worth the money, 'cause if you're paying more for the pickups, hardware... and you change it, you could get the same results modding a MIM and for less money.

But if you want them as they are, then yes, they're worth the difference.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
food for thought: a fender warranty guy told me once that the difference between a mim and a mia is simple. a mim is made in mexico by a mexican a mia is made in a america by a mexican. the point he was making is sometimes a guitar just feels right and don't get caught up in where it is made.
IMO the difference is purely consistency. Most of the MIA strat's I've played were, at the very least, very decent, and some of them were spectacular. With the MIM strats, some are spectacular, some are decent, some are just bad. I have a spectacular one. I've upgraded the saddles and the pickups and all the electronics. It's got Custom Shop 69's now and it sounds amazing, and for less than the cost of an MIA standard, I have essentially the guitar that fits all of my preferences. Sometimes I feel like I want a new guitar and when the 2008 Standard came out I REALLY wanted to go out and buy one because they are such great guitars. But despite the occasional desire for something new, my modified MIM strat is my favorite and I really have no reason to get another guitar.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by sum_ugly_man

Very true. The MIA has a thinner neck, which I don't like. The neck also has an extra fret that most people will never use. The MIA will have better pickups that are still crap, and it has more attention paid to the final setup. When you are lucky the setup on your MIM will be as good or better than an MIA which will make the MIM play like a dream. When you are unlucky your setup will make the guitar so that it's unplayable.

If you know a bit about setup and don't mind replacing pickups then there isn't much point in getting an MIA. If you can find a MIM that is good right off the shelf then there is no point in getting an MIA.

That's my 2 cents.
Not taking any online orders.
I have an early made in Mexico strat. I have stuck probally around $600.00 into it over the years and it truly plays and sounds better than most Americans. That guitar is my second favorite to my Tom Anderson. The two americans are not even played that much anymore.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by mrbreeze
read for yourselves, then make your own decision

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/index.php?page_id=30007

see if the diferences in construction, etc., are worth the difference on price to YOU

Great list you found. Inevitably, someone will say that they won't notice those difference so it doesn't matter. To many (like me) I noticed, appreciate and want those things. I love the higher quality, those little "extras" and attention to detail, but I've been playing many, many years. If you don't care about these, or don't notice a difference, then don't bother and save your cash for now. The MIMs can be great guitars when you find a good one and will last forever as well.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by mathman51
food for thought: a fender warranty guy told me once that the difference between a mim and a mia is simple. a mim is made in mexico by a mexican a mia is made in a america by a mexican. the point he was making is sometimes a guitar just feels right and don't get caught up in where it is made.

very interesting thought
I know that the MIA Strat comes with a hard case, but does it also come with strap locks and a strap? That doc seemed to indicate that, but it's hard to tell what it comes with from a website. Just trying to take all things into consideration. Thanks