I ask because i have recently ordered a Tele 72 foe my first e-guitar after years on acoustic...But the chance has arisen to get an Epi 2nd hand quite cheapley which i could use as a back up and give my brother lessons on.
Damien Rice === Legend
They wouldn't sound similar at all, but don't let that stop you. Still a great guitar.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
nah, the SG uses P-90's, which are a harsher pickup compared to the tele's twangy single coils.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Not particuarly...I would like something different obviously..I just presumed that since the Tele has two humbuckers and the Epi has 3 they would sound a bit similiar
Damien Rice === Legend
Quote by guitarguy182
Not particuarly...I would like something different obviously..I just presumed that since the Tele has two humbuckers and the Epi has 3 they would sound a bit similiar

i probably shoulve looked up your guitar before replying, but i assumed the tele was single coils. sorry about that.
haha. and i didnt see the "deluxe" part in the thread name...that explains it
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
No worries..The epi has a roller bridge fitted in as well..What does that mean?

And could someone please tell me the main differences in tone and for which stylers each is suited too?
Damien Rice === Legend
Tonally, the Tele will have a brighter sound, with probably less sustain too. Of course the string tension will be different as well, as the Tele is 25.5" scale and the SG is 24.75" scale (so strings on the SG will be slacker, and the fret spacing is slightly closer together too). The Tele will have a slightly thinner neck than the SG as well.

Then factor in the Epiphone finish factor; because of Epiphone's thicker plastic-based finish, Epi SGs sound tonally more like a Gibson Les Paul (while and Epi LP sounds even thicker than that). Compared to a Tele, this means there will be a big difference in tone.

As far as styles go, Both are used for middle-of-the-road, straight-up rock 'n' roll mostly. Both SGs and Teles (with humbuckers) have been used for metal, both SGs and Teles have been used for blues. Neither is used for jazz that often. Generally, SGs are used for slightly heavier music than Teles, and in turn the Tele is more likely to be used in lighter styles. There's a lot of 'overlap' in their uses though.

For reference, UK pop-rock band McFly uses a Telecaster and an SG together on almost all of their songs, and split the lead parts equally. So maybe hceck them out for an example of the two guitars directly 'against' each other.