Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
its not a chord. it's an interval, an E and a diminished 5th. Chord needs 3 or more distinct notes, octave doesnt called. It's just like a power chord being called a 5th (E.g.: A5)
E diminished, without the 3rd. Just the root and flat 5th

So its like a diminished powerchord i suppose.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by Ackj
E diminished, without the 3rd. Just the root and flat 5th

So its like a diminished powerchord i suppose.

Wouldn't it need the b3 to actually be considered diminished? When the interval actually defines the chord isn't it needed? I know at maj 9 chords you can get rid of the 5 cuz they don't really matter (j/k) but yeah.

So Edim5, like E5... just that the 5 is diminished, it's not a diminished chord (diminished interval).
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
i don't want to be nitpicky but wouldn't it be Eb5 cause dim is wrong and it does not have a major 5th
song stuck in my head today

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Neither does any chord.

Care to guess why?

i know my bad
song stuck in my head today

It is indeed an Eb5 or Eaug or E-5 or however you want to spell it. :P
Quote by LazySandman
f

the time has come (lol, get it?)

Gabel istheshit!
(But I is moar shitz!)
Quote by Cookiebar
It is indeed an Eb5 or Eaug or E-5 or however you want to spell it. :P

An augmented chord consists of a root, a major third, and an augmented fifth.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Wouldn't E(b5) mean an E chord with a b5?

Like, E G# Bb

Not sure though
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I vote we call it "E-tri" it's a new powerchord... instead of E5 (E,B) it's E-tri (E,Bb).

I still despise how powerchords are considered chords. They are intervals!! My music theory teacher/band teacher at my school disagrees with me though. You run in to stupid problems like this by calling them chords. /rant.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^I have no problem with calling them chords, so long as you know that they're not. I mean, they're used as abreviated chords.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Wouldn't E(b5) mean an E chord with a b5?

Like, E G# Bb

Not sure though
That makes sense, but I've seen the E Bb E thing written as E(b5) in Guitar World.

In case you haven't noticed, the idea of calling the note A# rather than Bb is ridiculous in my opinion.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^I have no problem with calling them chords, so long as you know that they're not. I mean, they're used as abreviated chords.

That makes sense, but I've seen the E Bb E thing written as E(b5) in Guitar World.

In case you haven't noticed, the idea of calling the note A# rather than Bb is ridiculous in my opinion.

Agreed. In that case you wouldn't be able to relate the interval to a powerchord which really emphasizes the fact that it's easier just to call it a harmonic interval than make up some fancy "chord" name.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥