We had practice today for a show that we're playing on Wednesday. I thought it sounded good. I'm using the Fender Blues Jr NOS Tweed version, with a Fulltone OCD and a Epiphone Les Paul with some new pickups. It's not the greatest setup, but I thought it worked fine for what we're playing.

We are playing Crossroads by Cream for the talent show. He uses an SG in the version that we're playing, and my Les Paul has a similar sound though it's not exact. It gets the job done though. The Fulltone does a nice job of getting a nice thick Marshally sound from the Blues Jr, and everything was fine.

I always sit next to the amp when I'm playing. I decided to walk around, because I like to walk around some when I'm playing. When I got further away from the amp, I noticed that the sound of the amp changed dramatically. Being close to the amp from an angle, the sound was nice and thick and full. But as I walked farther away in front of the amp, it started to sound very thin, trebly, and the overdrive was very digital. In short, it sounded awful.

I'm using lots of mids and bass for the song, because that's how he's playing it. He cuts back the treble and gets a nice bassy sound from the treble pickup. And it sounded fine when I was close to the amp, but farther away sounds like garbage.

I'm really not sure why this occuring. What I don't understand is why the overdrive is sounding all digitally and crappy, since I'm using a fairly good overdrive pedal through a fairly good tube amp. The other thing I don't get is why the sound is so crappy and thin, especially playing through a Les Paul on a tube amp; the amps known for their warm sound.

Is this a tube problem? Speaker problem? Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I'd be fine with the problem if it were the other way around. If it sounded good farther away from the amp and bad close up. But this means that everyone else is hearing the crappy tone. That idea really bothers me, especially since I've been careful about buying when it comes to my tone. I was sure that this combo would give me a nice sound that would last a good while.
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at Apr 21, 2008,
Amps sound different from depending on where you are. Speakers are very uni-directional. I would EQ the amp to sound good faraway so that's what the audience will hear, and that's what will be miked anyways, not right above the combo.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by Zero_Mike
Amps sound different from depending on where you are. Speakers are very uni-directional. I would EQ the amp to sound good faraway so that's what the audience will hear, and that's what will be miked anyways, not right above the combo.

Unfortunately this is a small gig and there won't be any PA system for the amps. Actually mine is the only amp, and it is up to it to be heard over the sound of the drums. Which it is perfectly capable of doing as I've practiced and performed without miking it anyway.
yeah, zero mike pretty much has it. you won't be able to get your perfect tone from all directions, so keep walking around and find a good medium where everywhere is satisfactory.

and plus, the people watching mostly aren't gonna be focused on how good your tone is, they'll be caught up in the other people in your band ha.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
yeah, zero mike pretty much has it. you won't be able to get your perfect tone from all directions, so keep walking around and find a good medium where everywhere is satisfactory.

and plus, the people watching mostly aren't gonna be focused on how good your tone is, they'll be caught up in the other people in your band ha.

I suppose so. I've been playing in a very small music room, which could have something to do with it also. The place we're performing will be much bigger and open, so hopefully that will help.
Quote by lemonsquares42
I suppose so. I've been playing in a very small music room, which could have something to do with it also. The place we're performing will be much bigger and open, so hopefully that will help.

i'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008