dammit man! lol

you know in a jam session when your just rockin out or making a song...you know like the basic bass stuff;do a nice little bass line, play the root of what the guitar player is playing etc. well every once in a while ill feel like throwing in one of the nice bass licks i made up at home, it never fails, the guitarist will always be like "hey bro what did you just play" ill sigh then show him the nice little scale i put together, a few minutes later hes power chording it up(and it sounds awesome) he'll then use it for a nice chunk of the song...my short groovy bassline swallowed up by the guitarist again! i guess in the long run its better for the band
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Last edited by blues_man at Apr 21, 2008,
Just because the guitar player is playing them doesn't mean they aren't your riffs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
fitz.. your avatar is the greatest... we have a dryer like that at my school and i wrote that on there a while back
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Metal_Hed_23, will you marry me?

Quote by drewfromutah
If she takes her pill properly and you still pill out or use a condom, just quit having sex altogether. The damn pill was built so that you can ride bareback and film your own creampie movies afterwards.
Quote by Metal_Hed_23
fitz.. your avatar is the greatest... we have a dryer like that at my school and i wrote that on there a while back

woohoo KSE pics FTW lol
You said yourself that it sounds awesome when he plays it, so why are you complaining? Part of being a bassist is sacrificing personal gain for the sake of the band. You're supposed to be the unselfish one in the band. Start acting like a team player.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
get used to it man, for the most part the guitar player and or signer is gonna get the attention anyways
lmao
im just playin, but yea man if it sounds good you shoudl suck it up and groove that bitch

if it reallybugs you that much tell the guitarist

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
If it sounds better in the song then stop complaining. It's not about holding the glory position, its about doing whats best for the song and for the band. It's good judgement and a willingness to sacrifice for the group as a whole that separates us from our six-stringed bretheren.

[/mandatory guitarist jab]
Quote by KKING911
You said yourself that it sounds awesome when he plays it, so why are you complaining? Part of being a band member is sacrificing personal gain for the sake of the band. You're supposed to be the unselfish one in the band. Start acting like a team player.

Fixed
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Fixed

k
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by Narcotics
get used to it man, for the most part the guitar player and or signer is gonna get the attention anyways

haha i am the singer for my band.

anyhow, just dont worry about. if someone says thats a cool riff just smile cuz you know you wrote it and thats all that matters right?

besides in my band my guitarist and i swap riffs constantly so we cant even remember who wrote what sometimes
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
just right a slap riff, problem solved!
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

Quote by hey_ugly
just right a slap riff, problem solved!

Haha that's what I was thinking!

Or if you have a 5-string, dip into the B-string a bunch. If he goes an octave up, it shouldn't drown you out. As a matter of fact, it probably won't sound as cool, and he'll have to sacrifice for the good of the band. Take that, guitarist! =D
When music becomes a war of egos, the ship's going to sink fast. Cream had three rather talented musicians--none of who could give to the greater whole beyond their egos. Yeah they made great music, but now they can't stand being in the same room together now.

If you add to the whole, you've added to creation. So in other words...

As Ben has said "if it sounds awesome, quit complaining". Just cause someone else plays your riff doesn't make it any less yours.
Quote by anarkee
When music becomes a war of egos, the ship's going to sink fast. Cream had three rather talented musicians--none of who could give to the greater whole beyond their egos. Yeah they made great music, but now they can't stand being in the same room together now.

If you add to the whole, you've added to creation. So in other words...

As Ben has said "if it sounds awesome, quit complaining". Just cause someone else plays your riff doesn't make it any less yours.

That's because Eric Clapton is a douchebag, baby.
From what I've read--Baker and Bruce weren't much better. Ginger Baker once described Jack Bruce as "Jekyll and Hyde", and the fighting was so fierce between them at the NYC reunion concert, that Baker says he'll never get back on a stage with him again.
You do realise this is almost certainly a person who doesn't play bass and is making fun of bassists, right?
Quote by Bumper
That's because Eric Clapton is a douchebag, baby.

A douchebag, Eric Clapton is not. The whole cream rift is between Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.
Quote by Sly Taco
A douchebag, Eric Clapton is not. The whole cream rift is between Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.

I say that out of a personal disgust and loathing of EC. As far as I'm concerned he's a no-account wannabe blues-man.

burn.
How do you figure he's a wanna be blues man? He's been down with the blues since he started. Thats why he left the frickin yardbirds, cause they were goin poppy and he wanted to play the blues. Whether you like him or not, you are wrong.

Bizurrrrrrrrrrrrrrn
^Because he fails at blues. That's why. Hell, his son killed himself because Clapton sucked so bad.

over-the-line-burn.
You crack me up man, I wanna come down to kentucky and play acoustics on the porch with ya! Take it easy
Werd yo. You're welcome at my place any time. We'll play Snoop Dogg songs on folk instruments and shoot at squirrels off the front porch.
i just needed a place to vent for a second. i have no problem really if the guitarist uses my riff, i guess what bothers me is one time this guy who is a friend of the drummer was chilling at one of our jam session and he said "why dont you stop just playing the root of what the guitarist made up" i brushed him off but i know theres other people who think the way he does, oh well ill just swallow my pride(the reason why im selfish is probably because i play the guitar too LOL)
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Last edited by blues_man at Apr 22, 2008,
don't tell him what you're doing, give him the root and let him find it on his own
he'll probably find something better suited to guitar anyway
and if he can't take it, make him sit in a corner.
keep him basswhipped! It's more fun that way
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you don't like the band mentality, just quit it. There are many bands out there, and there is always one that will fit you personally.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
if it fits the band, just be glad that you contributed and know that the reason the song is so awsome is because of your riff. if you wanted the spotlight you're playing the wrong instrument.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
You're lucky man. When I show my band a lick, they just go "oh, cool" and it's forgotten.

So be ****ing happy.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by kranoscorp
If you don't like the band mentality, just quit it. There are many bands out there, and there is always one that will fit you personally.

Ah TS, kranoscorp has told you one of the greatest advantages to being a bassist. There are far more bands seeking bassists than there are bassists. You have the ability to pick and choose another band, if a situation doesn't suit you. So if it doesn't work, find another.
Quote by King Of Suede
You're lucky man. When I show my band a lick, they just go "oh, cool" and it's forgotten.

So be ****ing happy.

Oh man. I know exactly what you're talking about.

In fact, now that I think about it... back with the band, NONE of our songs were a result of my riffs. They all had basslines I based around the guitar or drums.

I can't believe I JUST noticed that. I'm a little less of a man today.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
well theres two options here. 1) you could just not worry about it like the others have said. you are still helping make a song and making it better. OR 2) when ever he asks, just say "i dunno, i just made it up on the spot". thats usually what i say if people ask me what i just did(im a guitar player first actually)....except for the most part its actually true. but i am getting better these days and now i can actually remember my lines even if i just make it up. so now i just teach what i can when i can. actually ive found as time goes on i like to teach people new things. music i think is something to be shared and people shouldnt be so worried about giving out signature licks and runs. i think its actually cool that your guitar player even asked what you did. i think a lot of guitar players would be too proud to do that and just try to out play you.

or i guess theres a 3rd option where you could just say that you think its better if its just on the bass and not a guitar part. or maybe try having it as a guitar/bass line where you both play the same thing in some parts. that can sound cool too.
Thats sweet no-one even noticed or commented on me and Bizump Daddy's little EC discussion. Ahaahahahahahaha
as a bass player, you control the groove. don't be offended when the band grabs that groove and runs. i love it when one of my riffs becomes a song.

as for Eric Clapton, or Eric Crapton<japanese>, we all have our opinions. imo, he's loved by the masses, and scorned by the purist's. but i've never seen EC blame the band for their downfall, or brag about his popularity. besides he has a few more gold records than me. the rat bastard!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by Sly Taco
Thats sweet no-one even noticed or commented on me and Bizump Daddy's little EC discussion. Ahaahahahahahaha

Edit!
Look Up!