Well, since I got my VJ used and it's been almost a year, I figure it's about time to replace the tubes.

Now since I've never done this before I've got a couple of questions to make sure I don't botch my amp up...

How universal are tubes? Like, should any of the common types fit in the VJ?

I don't know what tubes the VJ has stock(or if the ones in there even are stock...) but one thing I'd like is a bit more mids to it. I like high gain too, and more volume couldn't hurt if that's possible. So any suggestions?

Also, are the tubes soldered in, or do they have slots? I suppose I can just open the back of my amp up to see, but I might as well ask...

So, any good suggestions for me?
try replacing the power amp tube with a 6L6, or KT88. then look into pre amp tubes.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by bite_the_bullet
try replacing the power amp tube with a 6L6, or KT88. then look into pre amp tubes.

Huh? It's an EL84 bro. You can't use other tubes (and even then KT88's have their own type of socket IIRC, though EL34s and 6L6s are interchangeable)

EDIT: For the preamp, you need a 12AX7, and for the power amp, use an EL84. They just pull in and out. Need to learn to google/search
Quote by bite_the_bullet

Totally wrong....

As a general rule its best to think before you speak (post)

TS go with some JJ/Telsa tubes. 1 EL84 for the power amp and 1 12ax7 for the pre amp. Just take the old tubes out carefully. Put the new ones in and make sure they are in the sockets snug. Put the sheild on and fire her up.
Basically there are two common types of tube sockets found in guitar amps. There are the smaller 9 pin sockets for use with preamp tubes and EL84 power tubes, and there are the larger 8 pin (octal) sockets for use with most other power tubes. The Valve Junior has two of the 9 pin sockets (one for a 12AX7 and one for an EL84). Even if it did have an octal socket, the transformers would probably melt if you tried to run a KT88, best case scenario is you could run a 6V6 (that's right 6V6), but that might even be too much current draw and would seriously shorten the life of the trannys. If you want to play with awkward tube combinations in a single ended amp, get a Univalve.

Anyway, old production Telefunkens work wonders in the preamp section of the VJ if you can find any (some old stereo shops have small stocks of lightly used ones).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^ With the VJ Trannies, the Power Tranny can pretty much handle any common power tube as long as there is a single one, and the output Tranny can handle either a single EL84 or 6V6 pretty safely, in fact on the V1 & V2 VJs then the OT is actually better suited to a 6V6. It will need mods though.

If you want a simple answer, just get a JJ 12AX7 and a JJ EL84.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.