Page 1 of 2
So I work at Papa John's as a delivery driver. I have hair past my shoulders. Its thick. I also have 2 dreadlocks that are easy to hide. Anyways, I want to dread all of my hair. The boss says it will be ok, but I haven't told him what the dreading process is like.

For those who don't know, you start dreads by back combing, or basicly violently teasing your hair. So for about 3-4 months my hair will be a fuzzy, chaotic, barely manageable mess.

So for anyone that has dreads, when you were waiting for yours to lock up, were you able to make your hair at least somewhat presentable? Like it'd be fine if I could put it back in a pseudo ponytail. Would that ruin the dreading process?

And does anyone know of a good active dreadlock message board? DreadheadHQ doesn't have one.
We're only strays.
Dreads are awesome ^^
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
you should grow you'r hair out over you'r hips and then make dreads out of them from the guy from shadows fall.

i saw them last friday and while he was headbanging his dreads almost slapped me across the face, it was the epic lulz.
Quote by Insicion
you should grow you'r hair out over you'r hips and then make dreads out of them from the guy from shadows fall.

i saw them last friday and while he was headbanging his dreads almost slapped me across the face, it was the epic lulz.

hahaha nice
Ha I just spent two hours reading up on getting dreads. I'm getting mine in a month or two but you can take two dreads and pull your others back and tie those two loosely around the others like John Butler used to do.

If you back comb your hair really doesn't look bad and its presentable in my opinion.
I thought the thread title was 'Dreadlocks in the WORST place', and I imagined pubes done up in dreadlocks.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by HaKattack
I thought the thread title was 'Dreadlocks in the WORST place', and I imagined pubes done up in dreadlocks.

Ass hair would be worse.
Yea i got dreads maybe 2 or 3 months ago and my hair looks fine. The wax you (should) use makes them pretty tight and not that messy. Depends who does them. I'd recommend someone at least semi-pro - expensive but worth it.

I had a job interview last week and find out tomorrow whether or not i got it, though it's a phone type deal, so my appearance isn't an huge issue. No, I'm not applying to be one of those horribly annoying people that call you to sell something

Dreads are much, much more work than i was used to with my hair, which was none. It's really only like 15 minutes a day, maybe, to roll them and maybe wax a few spots that need it. After you shower and actually wash the dreads (you can shower all you like, just don't wash your hair each time) lots of the surface wax is gone and must be reapplied. This takes me about an hour and a half - which I hate. They look stellar though; mine are red Good luck with them!

edit, oh, yours may not take as long. Mine are sort of thin (think the diameter of your pinky finger, and some are a bit larger) and probably 18 to 22 inches long. I think i have 49 or 50 of them?
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Last edited by iain4444 at Apr 21, 2008,
Dreadperm? Done in one day, identical result.
Quote by Angels Fighter
we once had night of just slapping each others ass. Is that incest?

call me evan.

bass militia's pretentious dick. pm dinkydaisy.

the trap i set for you seems to've caught my leg instead.

<meh> I'm pro black penis in my bum
i can't remember, but i think i read that dread perm's are crap? I can't even remember what they are right now. *sigh, googles* lol
And Eternity in an hour
dreads suck 1 they stink 2 most chicks dont like them 3 they damage your hair and can lead to hair loss 4 they are a pain in the ass to sleep with

Leave it to Vegetarian Lesbians, and ethnic minorities.
Last edited by Ar8eit3r at Apr 21, 2008,
Are you white?

If the answer is yes, then NEVER get dreads.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I hate dreads. My hair is better. Much.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
ah, so wiki informed me of what i'd forgotten. The perm method is seen as synthetic sort of, and ppl who want to go the natural way don't dig it all that much; also, it's about double the price!
Quote by Ar8eit3r
dreads suck 1 they stink 2 most chicks dont like them 3 they damage your hair and can lead to hair loss 4 they are a pain in the ass to sleep with

All of that is incorrect - sorry?
Quote by element4433
Are you white?

Yea, that's pretty ignorant too. I'd post a pic, but i don't really think I need to. It can look good on anyone, and even if it doesn't, who cares? It's not like them having dreads makes you look bad. K?

edit:
Quote by TooFast

Proof?!?!?
And Eternity in an hour
I just don't know. I'm trying to think of what it would be like to have them at work. I got the feeling that if I put my hair in a pony tail during the dreading process they'd just dread together every night and I'd have to re-section them. Plus I doubt I'd be able to contain it all with just a pony tail.
We're only strays.
Quote by Ar8eit3r

if you were here i wouldn't even tell you how wrong and idiotic you are

i'd just shit on your face and leave
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I just don't know. I'm trying to think of what it would be like to have them at work. I got the feeling that if I put my hair in a pony tail during the dreading process they'd just dread together every night and I'd have to re-section them. Plus I doubt I'd be able to contain it all with just a pony tail.

Ah no man, of course you can tie them back! "During the dreading process" itself (like when the person is backcombing your hair) obviously you can't because then he/she/it(?!?) can't access the hair, but in the following few months and even the next day or right after it you can tie them back. They won't get entangled in eachother. How do you think you sleep on them and stuff?

Speaking of which, I pull my shirt off, but stop when it's inverted and almost off my head, but so all my hair's inside of it. Then your bed doesn't get waxy and it doesn't get on your face etc. It looks a tad absurd, but whatever, it's easy and works well. I've never wrecked a shirt doing this, and there's been far too many times when i've done it without thinking (read: drunk) using an expensive shirt. Good luck with it.

I paid $180 CAD for my dread person to do it, including a comb, wax, and some beads. She was/is doing her post-grad stuff and realizes how students aren't made of money, so she gave me a bit of a deal.
And Eternity in an hour
haha nope, it's easier if you already have curly hair or an afro so everyone is used to your disorganized hair.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Quote by Ar8eit3r

I think dreadlocks are hot, so you are wrong
oh and question to the TS, are all papa johns so chill?

my friend used to have a ton of piercings and they'd let him wear them to work and everything, i wish more places would be like that.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Quote by XxGloriousxX
oh and question to the TS, are all papa johns so chill?

my friend used to have a ton of piercings and they'd let him wear them to work and everything, i wish more places would be like that.

Yeah its way laid back. I used to work at Chick-fil-A and they were like restaurant nazis, fast food army camp. It sucked, it was a horrible place to have a first job.

Anyways, to iain, I'm planning on doing my dreads completely natural, as in just sectioning and back combing them myself (as I've done two already), and then letting them mature on their own. With the help of some wax, I suppose. It'll take longer, but I think the outcome will be of higher quality.

So I'm just going to ask my boss about it more. If anything I'll just wait.
We're only strays.
Tie a scarfy-thing around your head. It'll be fiiiine
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Anyways, to iain, I'm planning on doing my dreads completely natural, as in just sectioning and back combing them myself (as I've done two already), and then letting them mature on their own. With the help of some wax, I suppose. It'll take longer, but I think the outcome will be of higher quality.

Totally forgot about that, sorry! Good luck pal; I'm sure they'll turn out wonderfully

Quote by Domino
Tie a scarfy-thing around your head. It'll be fiiiine

awesome
And Eternity in an hour
ya im about to get dreads too the only problem is my hair is kinda short but im going to do it anyways. i have to wait a month though cuz my prom date doesnt want me to get them before prom since they look kinda ****ty the first month or two.

i plan on doing most of them my self though then get my mom or a friend to do the back. im guessing from your post you have seen the dreaheadhq super pack for dreads that is like 57 bucks, thats what i plan on getting.

anyone know of any other places that sells the peyote stiches because im not too crazy about the ones dread head has
Get it done in salon. Much easier, cleaner, and better looking.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
ya but also 4 times more expensive, id rather do them myself. i have friend who has done them im going to see if he will help.
Quote by TooFast

lmfao!

your hair is fricken goofy man..

I want dreads, but I think work/school would have a problem with it. *sigh* When I go to uni, it's going to be done.
Quote by element4433
Are you white?

what he said.
Quote by zekk
Get it done in salon. Much easier, cleaner, and better looking.

They wouldn't be better looking. Natural dreads are better because they look, well, more natural.
We're only strays.
not completly true

the good thing about getting chemical dreads is that they are locked the second you leave so they look like they have been dread for a year the day you get them. but this comes at a heafty price ($200-$400) and also if you want to take them out you have to cut your hair because the chemicals damage your hair.

the good thing about natural dreads is you can do them at your home. most places that can do chemical dreads also do natural dreads (back combing, twisting, rolling) but once again pretty expensive.

with natural dreads it takes a while for them to lock and during those firt few months it is a lot of work but after that it looks great. the reason i dont want to pay a lot for dreads is i might have to take them out after summer because i am going to work at my dorm and they might not let me keep them.
Quote by ultimo101
lmfao!

your hair is fricken goofy man..

Haha, thanks. I get that a lot.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I've had dreads in for like 2 months
They're in the locking period.
I have to tie them up for school, so that's like 30 hours a week.
It hasn't done much damage
Quote by KileManA7X
You sir, are an honorary genius! Take this badge, you made us proud!
are these "perm Dreads" real? if so,

How long do they last?
How eften can you wash your hari?
and how much is the typical price?
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
Page 1 of 2