Hey, just wondering if anyone knows any good bands that are in the style of Pink Floyd (as in deep, emotional, rock opera-ish) any suggestions? thanks

just to clarify, my top bands are

pink floyd
led zeppelin
bob marley & the wailers
tool
the who
bob dylan
black sabbath

etc. so something similar would be cool, but then again so would something different
Last edited by Zepplinne at Apr 21, 2008,
Rock opera-ish?

I'm gonna get flamed for this but oh well. MCR's "Black Parade" album is a concept album and might be what you're looking for.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
Quote by Jersey_Zombie
Rock opera-ish?

I'm gonna get flamed for this but oh well. MCR's "Black Parade" album is a concept album and might be what you're looking for.

as in i like rock operas. but they dont have to do rock operas
yes, bill bruford's earthworks, mars volta
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
Have you listened to Tommy by The Who? I'm also a big Floyd fan and it's sorta comparable. As far as modern bands Tool sorta has the whole trippy rock opera sound... But thats strictly an opinion.
Gear:
Agile PRS Copy w/ floyd PS-970
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
Dream Theater.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by blues_powered
Have you listened to Tommy by The Who? I'm also a big Floyd fan and it's sorta comparable. As far as modern bands Tool sorta has the whole trippy rock opera sound... But thats strictly an opinion.

yeah i have every who album and I saw them in 2006, great show
Psychedelic?
Because I have a bunch of that.
Lets see, The Electric Prunes, 13th Floor Elevators, Strawberry Alarm Clocks, Donovan, Blues Magoos, Count Five, The Turtles, and The Yardbirds.
Try Mogwai
My friend just got me into them and they have some really cool stuff
check out Hunted by a Freak and Cody

Actually, try out
www.pandora.com
it'll help you find similar bands to what you want to find, that's if you live in the states, if not you may be out of luck
Last edited by sublimerules at Apr 21, 2008,
King Crimson?
RUSH?

This is kinda biased since these guys are my favorite band, but Smashing Pumpkins? (Try "Rhinoceros", "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans", and "Rocket")
Umphrey's McGee. They haven't written any rock operas, but they are progressive rock.
Quote by Zepplinne
is there no good music???!!!

Precisely.

You should just give up and turn to television instead.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
FireandFlames recommended some good post rock stuff (Do Make Say Think, Jesu, Godspeed are awesome), and 2 bands I really like in the same genre are Daturah and 65DaysofStatic. they bring a harder edge to post rock than some others in the genre (like Explosions in the Sky)