I was wondering how successful is amp modelling? Im thinking of getting a line 6 pod for amp moddeling because itll give me a wide variety of sounds and also some effects i can play around with.

If i were which sould i get? Im thinking the POD 2.0. Plus i hear pod's are good for practicing with headphones. Though im also thinking i might just get a GT-8 since it has a ton more stuff.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Are you going to put the modeller in front of an amp? It most likely won't sound too great with that set up. Those modellers sound the best when they're played straight through the P.A. system.

I can only see a POD being beneficial if you're doing a lot of straight to computer recording and what not.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Modeling is successful in that some of the better modeling units sound decent. It's a success in that the POD is a pretty good practice tool, especially if you have to use headphones. So in the way you want to use it, modeling is pretty good. If you want an amp for gigging, jamming, etc you'll probably want the real thing.
so in front of the amp it wont sound much like the amp? If so then never mind because thats how ill be using it most of the time.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
I like the gt8 alot more than the pod because its more tweakable but the pod is a good plug and play modeler. also they can sound good in front of an amp just turn the power amp modeler(usually called just amp) and it will sound good.
Also i would wait until the gt 10 comes out so you can try it out along side the others.
Edit: till gt 10 goes on demo in your store.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
amp modeling is fairly successful(i personally hate it, but that is my opinion). but if you are going for amp modeling then your best results would be out of something like a PA or recording line in to a recorder because they are a clean amplification that want 'color' the modeler, using an amp modeler in front of an amp generally doesn't sound too good(it would sound kinda like plugging into one amp and then taking an output of that amp and plugging it into another). if you want to use a modeler with an amp then get one of those line6 modeling amplifiers.

the reason i don't like amp modeling is because it loses some of the dynamics of the real amp, it actually sounds like a fascimile of the amp. it kinda is like the difference between looking at a picture of the grand canyon or niagra falls and then going to see it in real life. imo modelers are pretty good for quick and easy recording(that doesn't sound that good but better than just plugging straight line in), and for people starting out and not knowing what kinda amp(or effects, cuz those line6's come with effects too) they want yet.
Quote by BAoxymoron
I like the gt8 alot more than the pod because its more tweakable but the pod is a good plug and play modeler. also they can sound good in front of an amp just turn the power amp modeler(usually called just amp) and it will sound good.
Also i would wait until the gt 10 comes out so you can try it out along side the others.
Edit: till gt 10 goes on demo in your store.

The pod is insanely tweakable. More so than the GT8 IIRC. The computer interface makes the pod almost infinitely tweakable.
Either way, the POD won't sound like the modeled amp through another amp. You could maybe get closer by turning the cab modeling off and bypassing the amp's preamp. Are you in a cover band that you need that many sounds and effects? A few good individual pedals are usually enough to cover all your bases and sound much better for a similar price.
What amp are you going to use it with? My POD XTL just doesn't like my Peavey transtube, but through my Vox DA 20 and POD 620 PA i can make it sound pretty good. To my ear however it sounds best through my Valve Junior. The Vj just adds something to the tone you can't get with SS. Even the little combo sounds better then the SS's It's a low volume setup, but I don't need anything else for practice anymore.

The thing about modeling with some people saying it doesn't sound like the real thing. In some cases it doesn't, but in alot of cases it's pretty close, but that's besides the point the real question is does it sound better then 95% of the other SS amps out there in the same price range. More often times then not it does. Same with the Variax. Does it sound like the $3000 dollar guitar it's suppose to be modeling? Maybe not, but again it's close. Will it run with alot of the $400 to $500 guitars out there? In my opinion it will and you end up with 25 of them. There is no better bang for the buck then modeling equipment and if you know how to set it up the vast majority of the people out there can't tell your using it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Apr 22, 2008,
Amp modeling has definitely come a long way over the past couple of years as compared to where it was. The less expensive units are still a step or two below most decent tube amps, but companies like Fractal have modelers that I'd take over most tube amps. Like a lot of things, you get what you pay for.

A friend of mine ran a Pod XTLive into a Tech21 2x12 Power Engine for a while and it sounded pretty good. It wasn't on par with his JCM800, but it did a lot more and was significantly easier to gig with.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
You can run a modeler into the return side of your effects loop, using it as a preamp. Then it is much better. You don't run a modeler in front of an amp, because then its just like running a multi effects. Most people make this mistake, and then don't like it. But, if you use it as a preamp it'll pass for live use for someone who needs that many sounds, or for recording. Still, it does have a digital sound to it, and nothing beats a trusty amp at full throttle

To the guy with the 10 watt Ibanez...no pedal will make it even hold a candle to the tone youll get from a better amp. If you arent doing a lot of band playing, might I suggest a Blackheart
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Apr 22, 2008,