About five minutes ago I tried to bookmark a website (or save it into my favourites if you prefer) and I realized that ALL of my bookmarks have disappeared. Those bookmarks are about a years worth of stuff and I'd really like to get them back. I have no idea where they went, I am absolutely certain I did not delete them. They are not in the recycle bin either. I think I must have a trojan or virus, that could not have just happened on its own could it? I'm going to scan for spyware and viruses and then reboot my PC, hopefully the bookmarks will be back then but I doubt it. Is it a problem with Mozilla Firefox? I haven't been to any dodgy sites recently, I just don't know why this could have happened. I also would prefer not to do a system restore because the last time I saved my PCs state for a system restore was quite a long time ago. Oh, and while writing this I noticed something else, I'm also missing the shortcuts to websites that are above the tabs of currently opened windows. I'm not sure what they're called, but they right above the tabs or tab that you're on and to make them you just go to a website then drag the tab up to create a shortcut in the bar. I can post a screenshot (hopefully) if you still don't know what I'm talking about.

What caused this problem and can I fix it? Thanks for your time.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by 100%guitarmad
maybe you're in an empty folder or something? i dont know, sorry

Nah, they've all gone. But thanks anyway and thanks for the response
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
FF did the same thing to me maybe a month ago, but i have an awful memory and just let it go lol. If/when you get them all back, or if you just restart, you can easily go to 'organize bookmarks' and highlight copy/paste them into a text file - making sure this won't happen again Hope you find 'em!
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by iain4444
FF did the same thing to me maybe a month ago, but i have an awful memory and just let it go lol. If/when you get them all back, or if you just restart, you can easily go to 'organize bookmarks' and highlight copy/paste them into a text file - making sure this won't happen again Hope you find 'em!

Ooh, maybe it's a bug in Firefox? Yeah, I plan on saving them in a text file in future to make sure this doesn't happen again. Thanks .
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by Firzen_Zero
Yes, it can.

The bookmarks could have deleted themselves on their own? How?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
did firefox update or something? i dont know....
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Firzen_Zero
Yes, it can.

The bookmarks could have deleted themselves on their own? How?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Since they're gone just like that, they must have either been deleted (virus, spyware etc.) or moved.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Go to Start > Run and enter %appdata%\mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. Click on the folder named *random letters / number*.default << May be a different name.

Then go to the folder named bookmarkbackups and look for the latest file in there. Then copy that folder into the *Random letters / numbers*.default folder (On my PC it's C:\Documents and Settings\Jarryd\Application Data\mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\p21ukuji.default and rename it to bookmarks.
If you can remember a site name that you had bookmarked put a search in for files and folders in all areas of your C: drive, on a mac at least that will let you find the file itself.
Quote by Flying Couch
What do you think lesbians do in bed? Play cards? They have ways of sexytime just like everybody else.

W
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why would you NOT scour the news for stories about incestual anal piping?
Quote by Jarryd.
Go to Start > Run and enter %appdata%\mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. Click on the folder named *random letters / number*.default << May be a different name.

Then go to the folder named bookmarkbackups and look for the latest file in there. Then copy that folder into the *Random letters / numbers*.default folder (On my PC it's C:\Documents and Settings\Jarryd\Application Data\mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\p21ukuji.default and rename it to bookmarks.

Woah, dude. Thanks alot, I didn't even know doing that was possible. I opened up the bookmarkbackups folder and the latest file is from yesterday, but I dont know what to do now. I cant seem to follow your last bit of instructions sorry, Im a noob. Could you please tell me what to do from now on? Thanks alot mate.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
its a bug in firefox, not a virus or a trojan on your system.

i wish people wouldn't respond to these types of threads when they don't know jack.
I've never heard of such a firefox bug, I use it regularly and have done for about a year and have NEVER had this problem, nor have any of my friends.
Quote by Flying Couch
What do you think lesbians do in bed? Play cards? They have ways of sexytime just like everybody else.

W
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why would you NOT scour the news for stories about incestual anal piping?
Quote by Moontard
its a bug in firefox, not a virus or a trojan on your system.

i wish people wouldn't respond to these types of threads when they don't know jack.

Ditto. I don't trust FF with my BMs.
FF has done that to me twice
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by Tye1989
I've never heard of such a firefox bug, I use it regularly and have done for about a year and have NEVER had this problem, nor have any of my friends.

i browse a firefox forum, and this happens ALL the time
Futher backing my point of Firefox being just as useless as IE.
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
Woah, dude. Thanks alot, I didn't even know doing that was possible. I opened up the bookmarkbackups folder and the latest file is from yesterday, but I dont know what to do now. I cant seem to follow your last bit of instructions sorry, Im a noob. Could you please tell me what to do from now on? Thanks alot mate.

Sorry, I couldn't work out how to explain where to place the file xD

Once you copy the file paste it into %appdata%\mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*FF_PROFILE_NAME_HERE\ and raname it from something similar to bookmarks-2008-04-18 into bookmarks.

I hope that's more clear