So I've got a squier practice amp that's got a broken volume knob. It's a 100K pot, which I don't have. I do have several others, however. Is it possible to simply attach a resistor somewhere to bring one up to 100K? I know the best thing to do is to go buy one, but it's a squier sidekick and I can't be arsed...

edit: and sorry to have 2 threads going, but the two have nothing to do with each other.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 22, 2008,
What other pots do you have? You can use a resistor in parallel with the wiper to reduce the resistance to 100K, but it will change the taper.
What other pots do you have?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Use the 500k. Solder a 150k resistor between the two end lugs. That will give you 115k. Or use a 120k resistor to get 97K. Either one is close enough.
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thank you very much, kind sir!

edit: and am I correct in assuming that the volume won't go all the way down with this setup? I'm a bit new at this sort of thing...
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 22, 2008,
it works but the pot is older than me and it's hanging out of the front of the amp because it won't fit. I'll have pics up later...this is quite amusing.
Nope, no sig here.
You have a Squier Sidekick? What are the original pot values (and names)? I need to replace the pots and somehow fix the snapped-in-two PCB and don't remember the original pot values.