The question is simple. Which one in the long run? I've got Metal Method, and the guy recommends alternative picking (up down, up down) but economic seems more reasonable to me.

Thanks!
I'd go alternate picking. But then again I might be biased because I haven't given economy a real good go... But alternate just feels natural to me. I think you should try both and just go with what's natural.
Newb alert: The hell is economic picking?
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
Well it depends what type of "sound" you're going for.
Alternate picking tends to sound much more rigid and albeit cleaner if done properly.
However economy is easier and if you don't care about people critisicing your techniques(which you shouldn't), go with economy.

If you want to be the next John Petrucci or Zakk Wydle, go alternate.
Quote by rizo299
"To: North Korea

Hey Kim DONG Il. Got nukes yet? DIDN'T THINK SO.

Here's some help with getting one built.

GOATSE.CX

Your pal Obama"

I think I'll go for economy, not alternative (now I typed it the right way). I don't play fast, and it feels comfortable.
Quote by srecko
I think I'll go for economy, not alternative (now I typed it the right way). I don't play fast, and it feels comfortable.
Do what you want, but you're making a mistake in my opinion. I suggest learning alternate first.
If you alternate pick most of the time but don't strictly just do UDUDUD, should you learn to alternate pick all the time or just stay the way you are?
Center
Quote by Guitar_God63
If you alternate pick most of the time but don't strictly just do UDUDUD, should you learn to alternate pick all the time or just stay the way you are?
Don't ruin something if it works.

In practice, you'll mix alternate picking, sweeping, economy picking, and legato into the same lick once you get good at each.
Quote by srecko
The question is simple. Which one in the long run? I've got Metal Method, and the guy recommends alternative picking (up down, up down) but economic seems more reasonable to me.

Thanks!

You want to learn whatever technique is necessary to achieve your musical goals. Alternate picking is widely used, so it makes sense to work on it. So are a number of other techniques. I wouldn't recommend using alternate picking exclusively. Learn it, but use other techniques when appropriate. There are times when you may want the sound of all down strokes, or all up, or any number of possibilities.

btw the term is alternate picking... not alternative picking.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 22, 2008,
i still dont know what economy is even after reading this. alternate picking is vital though for when you wanna go fast. you are very limited if you dont alternate picking. but f you are going slowly, constant downstrokes are the best bet for tone production.

can someone explain in detail what economy picking is?
Quote by Grouch
i still dont know what economy is even after reading this. alternate picking is vital though for when you wanna go fast. you are very limited if you dont alternate picking. but f you are going slowly, constant downstrokes are the best bet for tone production.

can someone explain in detail what economy picking is?

well you can go just as fast with economy picking. The difference is that alternate picking gives you a consistent attack on each note, which you may, or may not want.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 22, 2008,
economy picking is a combination of sweep picking and alternate picking, i tried to tab an example but it failed
Theres a lesson on it somewhere
If you want to be the next John Petrucci or Zakk Wydle, go alternate.

You can't say that there are more chopsy guys out there who use economy. Yngwie, Frank Gambale. Just do which ever works best for you.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32

You can't say that there are more chopsy guys out there who use economy. Yngwie, Frank Gambale. Just do which ever works best for you.

+1
use whats right for the situation. There is no reason to use one or the other exclusively.
Metal Method is awful.

I leave it to the flow of my picking to decide which. I do economy unconsciently.
Quote by Grouch
but what is it?

Economy picking is when say you start on your low E string and your playing we'll say a scale. You will start with down,up then when you go to the next string you always start picking in the direction of that string. So going downwards across the strings you start each new string with a down stroke. When going up the strings meaning towards the low E string you start each new string with an up string. Watch some Frank GAmbale videos and you will see.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Grouch
but what is it?
If you use a downstroke to play a note on the B string and your next note is on the E string, you play both in a "sweep" type of motion rather than downpicking the first and up-picking the second.

The distinction between economy and alternate picking only matters when you're changing string.
Economy picking is when you use alternate picking on a single string, but if you move from string to string then you sweep. If you move down a string then you pick down and down again, or up and up again if you are moving up a string.

I started using economy picking naturally and didnt notice I was doing it until my teacher pointed it out. My feelings are as long as you stay in time and every note is clear then it is a good technique and good for gaining speed.
Oh cheers guys! thats very interesting - ill try it out. i doubt ill use it though my alternate picking is fine.
Alternate picking is much more of a fundamental skill. Anyone expressing this as
an either/or choice I don't think really understands the situation and is generally
over-obsessed about speed and not the music. This is really a choice without
anything to choose from. They are different skills with different dynamics.
Alternate picking can replace any case where you use economy, but the reverse
is not true.

Personally, I use both. But even when economy picking I'm generally ALSO using
alternatie picking as well (you HAVE to with consecutive picks on the same string
unless you're doing all up or down strokes).

I think it makes the most sense to get your alternate skills up and then decide
if you want to add economy picking to your skillset.
Quote by Guitar_God63

It really depends on the beat.. say its in 4/4
1 2 3 4 are all pick downwards
+ + + are all picked upwards

and then you get down to semi-quavers and stuff and you just use the same principal, every second semi-quaver is played up-wards... remember if you skip one.. eg

semi-quaver, quaver, semi-quaver

its down, up, up

atleast thats all how I learnt alternate picking

I havnt really given economic picking very much practise yet

i recomend going alternate first
Learn both techniques. Plain and simple.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS