Well i WANT to write lyrics but i dont realy know what to do...

Just some general advice would be awesome. Suggestions for things to write about. Anything really that will help me out with this.

I know abouyt editing and stuff and always to edit your work a few days after you finish it but its kinds hard to edit nothing. Seriously when it comes to writing (anything) i just cant start. i just stare at my piece of paper for 30 mins...

So any help?
stayed up most of the night trying to think of lyrics for a song
i am watching this thread with thread with all my eyes
what i would do, dont sit down and think of lyrics, cause it wont happen. so, live your life, carry around a pad of paper and a pen, and whatever you feel, or get worked up about, write it down on the pad of paper, it could be something good, it good be something bad, just write it down, then at the end of the day, sit down, look through the pad, and try to see if what you've written down can be turned into a song. if it can, then get to work writing down your feelings and emotions into some form of structure.
my best advice is not to force it. i've tried to force out lyrics before and they come out too contrived and sterile. i usually start out with that one line or idea and just go from there. sometimes i'm happy with the results, sometimes not, but don't throw anything away, it may work out for another idea down the road.
Quote by thedudemeister
what i would do, dont sit down and think of lyrics, cause it wont happen. so, live your life, carry around a pad of paper and a pen, and whatever you feel, or get worked up about, write it down on the pad of paper, it could be something good, it good be something bad, just write it down, then at the end of the day, sit down, look through the pad, and try to see if what you've written down can be turned into a song. if it can, then get to work writing down your feelings and emotions into some form of structure.

Care to elaborate? What do you mean? just write down "Happy because ..."?
Quote by thedudemeister

damn, that's pretty good advice! I'm gonna go get a notepad, thanx!!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
my advice is get drunk, your emotions are way higher wasted and you let everything out which makes your lyrics more honest and from the heart.. that what i do anyway, it doest always work...
Quote by the_poison125
Care to elaborate? What do you mean? just write down "Happy because ..."?

erm, what i mean is, for example, say you've jsut been dumped or been rejected harshly by a girl or whatever. instead of writing down, im unhappy cause she dumped me, write down how you feel about it. you gona feel emotional pain. write something about that, im afraid i cant give any ideas cause being dumped is gona be different for different people. i will find a better example and will come back to you
Quote by thedudemeister
erm, what i mean is, for example, say you've jsut been dumped or been rejected harshly by a girl or whatever. instead of writing down, im unhappy cause she dumped me, write down how you feel about it. you gona feel emotional pain. write something about that, im afraid i cant give any ideas cause being dumped is gona be different for different people. i will find a better example and will come back to you

Ahh ok i get it. Thanks im gonna get a notepad now
Not all lyrics have to be about your experiences. Focus a lot on the lyrics of the bands you listen to and dont only focus on what their saying, but also how they are saying it. Language and sentence structure are also important. Me and my mate are writing a bit of stuff about different cultures and races predicting the end of the world and the direction we are taking ourselves. Maybe not the most original thing youve ever heard but not the most common either. Try telling a story without adding too much emotion or passion. Some may disagree with what im saying but its a relitively untouched area in comparison to the singer relaying their feelings so to speak. Maybe do some research on history or political happenings that interest you. Basically just think outside the box and try to be original
Quote by the*matt
Not all lyrics have to be about your experiences. Focus a lot on the lyrics of the bands you listen to and dont only focus on what their saying, but also how they are saying it. Language and sentence structure are also important. Me and my mate are writing a bit of stuff about different cultures and races predicting the end of the world and the direction we are taking ourselves. Maybe not the most original thing youve ever heard but not the most common either. Try telling a story without adding too much emotion or passion. Some may disagree with what im saying but its a relitively untouched area in comparison to the singer relaying their feelings so to speak. Maybe do some research on history or political happenings that interest you. Basically just think outside the box and try to be original

i agree, we need more songs like that, less love songs and more political or micelaneous (?) songs. one example of a non-love type song - Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin. reading the paper will help, find something that u feel strongly about, vould be immigration, taxes, war or the environment. anything is possible
I have the same problem, so I joined to a friend who can write lyrics easily and I can't write the music easily, so I write the music and he writes the lyrics.
My best advice is this; write. It doesn't have to be anything especially good, and it doesn't really need to be a song, just a simple poem will be fine. Just write whatever comes to mind, try your best to make it rhyme, if you can, and eventually you will get better. You can't expect your first, second, third, or fortieth song to be your best. You've just gotta stick to it and eventually you'll notice improvements.

If you want to get better at writing, all you can do is to keep reading, and writing, reading, and writing, until one day you pick up a book from the store. You open it up, and as you read it you think, "This book is crap! I can write better than this! And this **** got published!"
When everybody's gone home, all but the friends and lovers, that's when the best things happen.
get a piece of paper and gt the **** out of here. try to look for insp
I use to try to force songs and "think" about what topics to write. First, stop "thinking" I know it's soo hard, but once you can calm your thoughts you can be present. Once you are present, songs present themselves to you. The way I see it there are 2 types of songs that write themselves, ego driven songs, and conscious or "soulful" songs. Egoic songs appeal to a narrow band of people with similar ego's, or people that identify with each other. Conscious/Soulful songs appeal to the masses, these are the songs anyone can relate to, they speak the truth and resonate from within, these songs are timeless. For example, Can't get no satisfaction - Rolling Stones is more of an egoic song, while Dream On - Aerosmith, Imagine - John Lennon are conscious/soulful. Not to limit these songs by definition, but certain song writing will appeal to certain individuals. Once you figure out which style is yours, you can focus on those existing thoughts, instead of trying to create new ones. I firmly believe noone writes songs, songs write themselves, the people who wrote them were merely present enough to be a medium for the song.

Be open to possibility, believe in the unbelievable, and if something comes to you be grateful and nurture it.

Recently I went through some life changing experiences that humbled me, and made me more aware of the important things in life. I use to try to write songs and would hit brick walls in my attempts. Now songs are flowing through me like a river, with much more flavor than I had ever experienced. In the last 2 weeks I've written about 3 full songs, and numerous hooks/chorus'. Not once did I try to write a song, I was pretty much day dreaming, or doing something and started singing, and quickly wrote the words down. A tall tree starts as a small seed, as well a strong song starts with a few words. Don't try so hard, just be there when the songs come to you.

Above all be patient, frustration is the biggest song block of all.
i agree with alot of these people comments.
I'm not a hugely experienced song writer but i always seem to find that writing is like a way of letting out some feelings that i have.

for example if i'm really annoyed about something, i try & write a song about it.
i don't believe u should write songs for the hell of it, they should be about something u real have an opinion on.

So basically all i'd say is to write stuff to express something u feel, weather it be sadness, anger, joy,love, e.t.c. don't go writing 4 the hell of it, cause it will sound forced.

also once u start writing, don't constantly change what you have, editing is always good, but often your best ideas are brought out in the first 10-20 mins of writing, so make changes only were u feel u really have too.

hope that helps
write what you feel at the moment...

if you're still confused, write about being unable to get inspired in writing a song...

anything goes...
Obviously, you're not born a lyricist. Because writing lyrics should not be a problem, it just comes out of you.
I dont know if it'll work for you but what I do is not dwell on it. Remember that you have a song with no words but dont sit for hour forcing yourself to write. Think what should the song be about than watch tv or do something to get your mind off it and suddenly I just think of a line and than go to a rhyming dictionary to get the other lines