Greetings fellow UGers. I am now in a situation where I need a new amp and any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

I reside in Australia and I am looking at a price range of about $1000-$1500 AUD or $950 - $1400 US. I currently have a ESP KH-202 (loved Metallica when I got it for my 15th birthday, in hindsight was a bad decision) a Zoom Zoom G7.1ut Effects processor, which is a dream and a Behringer V-AMPIRE LX112 2x60 watt amplifier.

I play all sorts of styles however i focus on Prog Rock with the band I'm in. All i need is a really good amplifier for the price range, without the bells and whistles (effects) as my Zoom can handle most of this. I just want nice warm tone with a beautiful clean channel and a ball stomping dirty channel. With my limited knowledge of amps I believe i would be leaning towards a solid-state amp simply because of price and maintenance, however I am open to suggestion.
there's no such thing as a "ball stomping" solid state amp. Only tubes get "ball stomping"
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Peavey Windsor. It's a single channel amp, but it's a single channel of gorgeous all tube tone, and it clocks in at a hair under $1000. To boot, Peavey amps are pretty much bomb-proof, close to the most reliable gear in the game.
With the money you have you can easily afford a good tube amp
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
get a fender blues deluxe and a landmine ds-1 distortion pedal. then you'll have ball stomping distortion and the best cleans you can possible achieve
get a b-52 there in ur price range and have good clean and ur balls to the wall heavy tone
Tube amp, definately. Maybe a Peavey Valveking wouldn't be out of the question? I think you'd be looking for a Peavey, no matter what amp you get.
Quote by fretsonfire74
Tube amp, definately. Maybe a Peavey Valveking wouldn't be out of the question? I think you'd be looking for a Peavey, no matter what amp you get.

*nods*
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Windsor maybe, the studio combo is really pretty loud, and in the US is about $400, I don't know about the Aussie price though. Either way, it really sounds pretty good (AKA not metallic and thin). Valvekings aren't bad Either, played both of the amps in a shop yesterday and both sounded pretty good. The VK's cleans actually aren't bad, and the gain is pretty good. The 1x12" 50w combo is about $400 here in the US.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ever thought of an orange? My Rocker screams on dirty and the clean is straight through the valves. It really leaves the tone up to the guitar and effects. Sounds great! But yeah, you have to get a tube, there really is nothing like it!
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania
You can, but you have to sit at the kids' table for dinner.

Gibson LP + Orange Rocker 30