First of all hello there every1, great site and forum you have there!

Ok enough with the sucking up part, on to the questions. I'm 22 years old, and since ill be finishing college in a few months and having some more spare time i was thinking about taking up the guitar. I am aware that to progress in playing an instrument ill prolly have to sacrifice a lot of time, effort swaet and tears, but that isnt my concern. As i am writing this im getting the feeling this is going to sound silly, but am i too old to start playing an instrument with expectations to get realy good at it? I mean have i lost a significant advantage because i haven't been playing the guitar ( or any other instrument seriously for that matter) while i was younger? Another part is that i have no musical education (didnt go to music school and both my regular school music teachers diddnt teach anyone sh**). On the bright side, i have absolute hearing, which means i can easily remember and reproduce songs (to some extent ofcorse). One more thing. If there is anyone out there who had a similar dilemma and managed to work it out somehow i would be greatfull for any input.
I do not believe it is too late for you, i know people (friends parents) who started playing as a hobby when they were 28-35ish and they're all fantastic guitarists. If you're interested in guitar go for it.
My band (Vocals/Lead Guitar)
www.myspace.com/kilmoreband

Guitars:
(Main) Gibson LP Studio (Duncan JazzB/Jazzn)
(B) Fender Strat (Lace Sensor Red/Silver/Blue)
(BU) BC Rich NJ Exotic Classic Rich Bich (Mustaine LW)
Amps: Line 6 HD 147
Yeah if you wanna play just go for it, i didnt start playing till i was 19 and i thought that was pretty late.
It really doesnt matter.. i'm early 24 and have juuust started driving lessons...
Go for it.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
You think 22 is too old? I know someone who started at 40, and they are very good. Mature people (21 and older) tend to concentrate better than adolescents or teenagers. They also have more patience. Go for it, don't let anyone including yourself hold you back.

Rock On
As long as you can still move your hands, its never too late.
also dont worry about any prior musical education, i tought myself to play and can fling together a song or 2 for my band.
you will pick up bad habbits by teaching yourself but i find it gives you your own style and a better sense of accomplishment
Like all these ppl said, it's never too late.
Once you start playing if you enjoy it you won't be able to stop even if you wanted to.
That's what I found anyway. I started when I was 19 and I'm 24 now and totally self taught. And even though I'm not amazing yet, I still want to play everyday.

Guitar = great.
Unless you're literally on your death bed, there's no such thing as too late.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
To an extent you do have a disadvantage. For example, somebody who started learning 15 years earlier, will always have that 15 years experience on you (unless they die... then you win!).

But experience isn't everything, I could come out and say I've been playing for (x) amount of years, but it's what you've done in that amount of years that's important.

If you try hard enough, and practice a lot, you'll become better than these, and the advantage will be with you. However, if you progress at the same rate as they do, then you'll never catch up those 15 years.

In summary, go for it, and work your socks off.
Man,just play the guitar.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
I am 31 and just starting although the thought of being too old never accured to me. I was worried about spending all that money to find out that I would never be coordinated enough! Well I have only been playing alittle over a week and I am learning at a very good rate so I agree with the consensus that it is never too late to begin playing.
Im 24 and just started playing guitar seriously about 6 months ago and my guitar teacher says hes amazed at how quickly I pick things up and that results in a lot of quality lessons. Granted I toyed around with guitar since I was 13 all I ever played was the basic open chords. I know personally I didnt have the patience or desire to sit down and learn an instrument when I was younger but now I do and its really fun.
It all depends on how serious you're going to be. Even starting at 22 is fine. If you keep at it, you'll get better. It's as simple as that. However, if you buy one [guitar] and just pick it up once a year, well, then it's a waste, I suppose.
Thanx for all the support, it definitely gives me more incentive to finaly pick that axe up!
It more depends on the person, not the age. If you really want it, then its never too late. As long as you realize you have to work pretty hard to get very good at the guitar(which I think you already do). Its just a matter of practicing, and practicing well.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
wow wow wow sweet child o mine! no don't be daft i got a mate who didnt start until he was 28 and he is progressing well ,try it if you enjoy it ,its a great hobby!
your never too old to start. I started at 48... yes as old as that. Still a beginner, but making good progress, largely self taught , a couple of lessons probably need more. Just enjoy yourself, practise every day 10 minutes or 2 hours it all helps .Set yourself goals, you'll surprise yourself Practise, practise then practise again but most of all enjoy yourself.
Quote by kipessex
your never too old to start. I started at 48... yes as old as that. Still a beginner, but making good progress, largely self taught , a couple of lessons probably need more. Just enjoy yourself, practise every day 10 minutes or 2 hours it all helps .Set yourself goals, you'll surprise yourself Practise, practise then practise again but most of all enjoy yourself.

Yep, I'm starting in, um...my early 40's, hahaha! It sure is hard to set up enough time to practice, but like you say every bit counts...going from a beginner uke/banjo player to guitar has been challenging, but rewarding...! Good luck to everyone and their own personal challenges~

First post, hehe!

Martha
Quote by edg
Let's see...

I started at 18 or so. That gives me about 33 years on guitar. If I started when
I was 22, I'd have 29 years. Not a big difference at this point.

If you never start you'll always have 0 years....

Wait... You know when you're going to die?
Music isn't a competition. As long as you can play the thing to a formidable degree, who cares if by the time you're 30 you're not as good as the guy that started when he was 15?

Never too old.
I am in my mid 30's started in my early 30's when my son picked up an interest to play at 7 years old. Its never to late to learn. Just turn on top 40 radio and listen for an hour, you will be able to play at the level of most of the top 40 garbage in a couple a years anyway.