I'm going to try a set of D'addario 9-54s on the SC607, tuning to C# with a high F#.

According to their tension guide, the high string shouldn't be too tight (which would make it pretty durable at that tuning) and I'll still be able to drop the low string to B. I figure it will give me something new to work with.

I though about going all the way up to D (With the option to drop tune to C) with a high G, but I think I'd be pushing the limits of a 9 tuning that high.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions, anything?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
What 7 string are we talking about?

If it's a schecter, they have an extended scale, which attributes to more tension that usual. I used a 9-60 gauge for B standard and Drop A, and it was all really tight.

9-54 is lighter, so you should be able to go up, ESPECIALLY if its a standard scale 7 string. Tune up until you feel it getting too tight....that's when you know to stop
I can see where you are going with that, and I have to say it sounds pretty interesting.
I tuned my 7 up to C a couple of times too and it add a whole new dimension.

Just make sure to use the right string gouge, otherwise you are in risk of having your higher string snap on you.

Alternatively, use a capo
Quote by Mafoo
why did you ever buy a seven-string?
To try something new

Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
What 7 string are we talking about?
ESP/LTD SC607. Its the 25.5" scale, 2007 Stephen Carpenter model.

Quote by ZC3rr0r
I can see where you are going with that, and I have to say it sounds pretty interesting...
Why thank you Hopefully it'll open up some new options for me.

I'm hoping for more range in chords and arpeggios using the extra high string. The middle humbucker produces some really deep and "wide" clean tones and I think it'll come together really well.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
No it sounds like a really cool idea, try a set of 8's on there with something like a 56 max for the C#, maybe even lighter than that.

You've given me real food for though now......damn GAS i'm going to need an RG7321 or something to try out the possibilities of tuning up...
I was thinking 8s initially, but the D'addario 9s are readily available

According to the tension guide, the 9s should be PLENTY durable at that tuning (F#), and I'll always prefer a tighter string anyway

I'm going to try and do this either tonight or tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes

Quote by hmmm_de_hum
...damn GAS i'm going to need an RG7321 or something to try out the possibilities of tuning up...
FWIW, Musician's Friend has a Schecter Omen-7 for $30 less than the RG

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/-Omen7-7String-Guitar?sku=513036
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Last edited by jm1681 at Apr 22, 2008,
Thanks, but i hate schecter and im in the UK

Cheers anyway though, make sure you get some clips of some chordal work with that high string, when you get your gauges sorted out of course.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Thanks, but i hate schecter...
Hey, just bringing it to your attention, just in case

Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Cheers anyway though, make sure you get some clips of some chordal work with that high string, when you get your gauges sorted out of course.
Will do
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I actually did this on a schecter Omen-7 Extreme, and yes, a set of d' addario .009's was able to hold the tension, but I can tell you I was sure nervous about it.
If you have a regular 25.5 scale you should be okay with 9's. otherwise, give a set of 8's some thought.
Its 25.5"

Can't wait to do this...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I've already tuned up to C# with my 7 string. I used Ernie Ball Stainless 8-52 gauge as a precaution to not snap my high E. All in all, I couldn't find much use for the F#, because it was way too twangy and kind of sounds annoying on the higher frets. But nonetheless it was still fun to toy around with.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Well, at least you tried.
I liked that setup cause of the high F. It added a nice little twang to some strumming patterns.

Ah well...in the end I reverted back to B standard too so....
Well we'll see. Can't hurt to try it.

I must admit, the 7-string was a bit of a spur of the moment thing for me. I haven't really regretted it yet, but it will never replace a six string for me. On the flip side, I tune my 6-strings to Eb and occasionally to drop C#.

What I'd be doing with the 7-string wouldn't be a complete departure from that so I think it may work out very well for me.

Like I said, I'll post opinions in a few days hopefully
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Just an update, I'm not going to get the D'addario 9-54 set. I calculated the string tensions earlier today (Boy was that fun ) and the given gauges are not going to work the way I'm going to tune it.

I mean they'll work, but some strings are going to be really loose and others really tight. Plus, my 4th string would be wound and that is not what the doctor ordered. I'd also rather not have to adjust the neck and the difference in tension would more than likely put me in those waters.

So, I worked up a custom set (9-12-16-20p-30w-42w-54w) which is basically a set of D'addario 12-54s, save for the 30. I figure I'll get that set and single 30 and 9.

So excited to do this, the anticipation...it sucks
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Whelp, I bought the strings yesterday, did the up-tune, and...on the fence.

The high string is cool, but I didn't anticipate it impacting my playing the way it has; for the worse. I'm almost positive its because of the tuning. I'm going to switch it up to F# standard with a low C# (As opposed to C# standard with a high F#) and substitute the plain E (Which feels and sounds REALLY bad) with a wound string.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
It sounds bad because of the tuning? How is that possible?
I'd check my intonation before doing anything else...
Intonated it at the same time Whenever I switch gauges, not even tunings, I double check the intonation.

The plain E is a .02 and still feels and sound flimsy.

I'm going to try to find a properly gauges wound string to replace the plain E and then try tuning to F#, with a low C#. Similar, but ultimately different...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Now I understand what you meant...sorry, kinda lost ya there.

Keep us updated
Didn't Wes Borland do this when he was with Limp Bizkit?? I believe he mentions it in a vid with him doing an explanation of his custom RG when he was with Ibanez. So yea, I think it will work out fine.
^ Yep.

I retuned it as I said and it made it much easier to work with. Still, I suppose it was a fling. It just didn't make sense after I changed the tuning. It was higher, but...eh...I don't know. For the first time, the 7-string just didn't make sense to me. I like to tinker with it, but ultimately, I think this guitar is going to go... Shame to, its beautiful, feels great, and (unless its not my amp), sounds great.

Speaking of which, I think something is definitely up with my amp now. Gain just seems to be disappearing. Three guitars with a combined 54 volts of EMG goodness and I can't seem to get the right amount of bite
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头