Hi, I'm looking for an all tube Marshall for less than $1000 US. I was recently browsing around online and saw some good things about the DSL 401 combo. I don't mind used products, as most of my gear is second hand. As a former MG user I know that there's a lot of variation in the quality of Marshall's gear, so I was hoping for some good suggestions from people who have owned different models. Currently, I'm playing a Vox AC15, which is a great amp for cleans, but the distortion leaves something to be desired, as I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan, and most of playing lies in the blues rock area. Any suggestions are appreciated, and thanks!
Why does it have to be a Marshall?
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Traynor YCV40 or something similar would be good. Very Marshally sounding, or so I've heard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
JCM800 combos almost always sell for less than $1000. Other than that, call up Traynor.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
TRAYNOR has a very marshally sound, and great cleans and is under 1000. YCV50 blue is probably what you should look into. Great sounding amps, for a great price. PM slatsmania for more info (he is an expert on these things!) also look into a used Mesa F-30 or used MESA rectoverb.
I've only played a traynor one time, but must say it's a good amp...especially for the price. I really did not get a chance to play with the EQ etc. much...so others have probably even heard better sounds than myself. A used DSL 401 is a great bargain, and I have seen those go for less than $500...pretty easily. I really like the DSL 401 and there are many mods available to get to YOUR tone. The amp that I personlly want (and an trying to get...ha ha) is a DSL 50...fricking great amp and can be had (used) for around 700 bucks.

Good Luck!