Hi. I am thinking of getting a Flying V. I want to get a black one, and I think I will get some different pickups for it, not really sure though. But does anyone else out there own one? I am wondering if it is comfortable to play standing up. I know it is fine sitting down, but I didn't hve a strap at guitarcenter so I could play standing. Is it ok? Oh and I hear that the guitar is great for metal. Which is what I am playing in my band I am lead guitarist, and my friend Johnny is the Rhythm guitarist. The band is done, and we are thinking of a few covers to learn. We know paranoid by Black Sabbath. Anyone know any metal songs we should learn? Thanks.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
i have a faded v which is basicly the same thing without the paint job. it works well for hard rock but i would recommend different pickups for full out metal. when i first started playing it it was strange standing up because it feels like theres no body there but you get used to them after a while.
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
If you're into metal and V guitars, try a Jackson V.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Thanks man. I thought the same thing. It is something you gotta get used to. Haha. I played one once at a gig. It was Battle of the Bands. about a month ago. And I played t for one song. I remember the greatest thing ever. When I first went out on stage with it on. Everyone started cheering. We didn't have anymore songs planned so we Played Paranoid, and then we only had about 5 minutes left, so the rest of my band just played a heavy rhythm at the end of paranoid, and I got to duel solo with Johnny. We had a lot of fun. Try it out. sometime. Guarenteed to please both you and the crowd! We came second which pissed me off, and I think they only beat us by one point! Oh well. Next year.
Quote by Ventor
If you're into metal and V guitars, try a Jackson V.

That ^ Depends on your price range though
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
I have a Lado flying V, awesome guitar
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Not a fan of Jacksons. I dont like the feel of their guitars, like I do Gibsons. When I play a gibson I feel like I am playing an instrument designed just for me. That is why my Explorer is my #1 right now. Haha. And yes I am a fan of more "extreme" body styles. The explorer was supposed to be a flying V, but my mom made a mistake. Hahaha.
I have a gibson flying v. Hell, even the epiphone V's are pretty good and weigh the same. If you get an epiphone V i suggest changing out the pups. As far as my gib v, I could never part with it. Here's my guitar gear:

Gibson Flying V w/ 490T & 498R pups
Epiphone Flying V w/ EMG 81/85 Combo
Epiphone Les Paul Quill Top w/ 490T & 498R
Epiphone Les Paul 58 Gold top with Gibson soapbar pups
ESP LTD Alexi-600

Like I said, epi or gib you can't go wrong.
^what he said....i would never get rid of my v, feels and plays pretty damn good, and still looks cool
My Gear

-ESP Eclipse II Snow White
-Gibson Flying V (White with black hardware, EMG 81's, black diamondplate pickguard)
-LTD Truckster
-Peavey XXX head, Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Traditional Cab