I have noticed Vai, Gilbert and Satch all use some kind of distortion or booster. I am guessing they are using these pedals to even out their pick attack during fast shred runs.

Since this is the kind of music I play will I always need a pedal to achieve the same result? Is there no amp that can provide this level of gain?
Well there's lots of acoustic shredders, so I don't see why not, it's just about talent
No acoustic shredding is not done in the same way as distorted electric. Watch Malmsteen shred on an acoustic the pick attack is completly different.

Fast picking with a soft pick on an acoustic is not the same as "tremolo" picking with a hard pointy pick.

You can "tremolo" pick on an acoustic as well the lack of distortion and compression will result in very low volume, hence the need for compressed lead tone.

I am probably ignorant about something here but my main concern is tone not picking technique.
Last edited by ixelion at Apr 22, 2008,
Well for my shred tone I jsut run it straight into my Vh100R with the neck pup on, I can do stuff like ''for the love of god'' with that
Well for a start halve of their tone comes from their fingers, so that's one thing to remember. As far as pedals go they don't all use pedals all the time. For instance if you go on youtube and listen to Satch's Mini Colossal song, he is just going from Guitar to Wah pedal to Amp. He does this on allot of songs. For instance on the new album, I think 4 of the songs were used using his new sig distortion pedal, the rest straight through the amp. So it's just about finding the right settings and the right amp for you.

But I will revert back to the first thing I said, halve of their tone comes from their fingers. More the left hand than the right, because if you listen to Satch and Vai (more so in Satch's case) most of the time when doing a fast solo they are hardly picking at all.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
More the left hand than the right, because if you listen to Satch and Vai (more so in Satch's case) most of the time when doing a fast solo they are hardly picking at all.

Yes sometimes they play solos legato, but usually or at least sometimes the notes are picked. This is what I do most of the time, and is largley my concern.

On my current gear the tone is great on the low notes, but on the higher strings the pick attack is lost considerably, and I have to kick in extra distortion to bring out the notes, and then it sounds excellent.

I guess I am not really concerned about sound quality per se but about the effect of pick dynamics with diffrent levels of gain.

I think the Metal Muff (my main distortion) cannot be compared in tems of gain levels to something like a high gain Carvin, Laney etc but I am inexperianced with tube amps. As it happens I also boost the Metal Muff with a TS9.
Last edited by ixelion at Apr 22, 2008,
Why not buy a compression pedal? They can really help even out your tone. Something like an Aphex Punch Factory would be good!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Well for my shred tone I jsut run it straight into my Vh100R with the neck pup on, I can do stuff like ''for the love of god'' with that

This is usually what I do as well, I am curious of what the difference between the VH100R and GH100L?
It terms of amount of gain how does the VH100R compare to the JSX, 5150/6505 or a XXX?
^ I can't compare as I haven't tried them, the gain is enough for KSE stuff though
It's all technique. I don't see a point in using an OD to cover up slop.

Quote by ixelion
No acoustic shredding is not done in the same way as distorted electric. Watch Malmsteen shred on an acoustic the pick attack is completly different.

Fast picking with a soft pick on an acoustic is not the same as "tremolo" picking with a hard pointy pick.

You can "tremolo" pick on an acoustic as well the lack of distortion and compression will result in very low volume, hence the need for compressed lead tone.

I am probably ignorant about something here but my main concern is tone not picking technique.

How is it different? It all comes down to technique. An acoustic will showcase the flaws in your technique. More gain isn't an excuse for crappy technique.