I just bought a vox valvetronix ad30vt and it's great so far. But when I hit the preset button, it doesn't go to a preset setting. It just goes with whatever the knobs are on. Has anyone else got this problem?
What? Are you sure it does that? Are you going from a user set channel to presets or from manual to presets?
Umm. I'm not sure what you mean. The preset button is lit up. I thought when you chose that it was supposed to choose a preset amount of gain / treble / bass / volume with each amp model.
The way I can tell is that when I leave it on preset and i pluck a note, then fiddle with the gain or bass knob it changes the sound.
The presets actually have certain settings dialed in, but if you change them by fiddling with the gain controls, eq and effects, it is going to change the sound. I wouldn't use the preset channels anyway, you can get WAY better tone by tweaking it yourself.
I understand that, but I thought the knobs wouldn't affect the model unless I pressed the manual button.
No, they always effect the tone. When you move a knob, it will change from the preset settings to the value represented by the knob you moved. Like if the preset gain value is @12 o'clock, and you put the gain up to full power, it's going to be at full power.
Umm, okay, then what's the difference between the manual and preset buttons then? Is it just that you can use the preset button to tell where the original values were?
And now that I see that the channel buttons are the same, what is the point of saving anything if whatever the knobs are on is always what matters?
Ugh. And even in the book it says, "With the preset led lit, turn the amp selector and the preset program for each amp type will be selected. (The physical settings of the top panel control knobs and effects selector are ignored at this time.)"
Quote by spark29
Ugh. And even in the book it says, "With the preset led lit, turn the amp selector and the preset program for each amp type will be selected. (The physical settings of the top panel control knobs and effects selector are ignored at this time.)"

it means it will go to a preset which differs from how the settings are physically set (hence preset), but once you adjust a setting such as gain, it changes. It does this on most modellers. basically its a preset setting until you adjust it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by spark29
I understand that, but I thought the knobs wouldn't affect the model unless I pressed the manual button.

Bzzzt! Wrong.

If you DON'T fiddle with any knobs, you are using the presets as they are given but, the moment you start tweakin' it, you've stepped out of the parameters of the "preset."

When in preset mode, note that when you tweak a knob the light next to the preset button will blink when you pass over a certain spot in the sweep. That's the "preset" position for that control but, even in preset mode, you can tweak the sound.

Try this, find a preset and tweak the crap out of it. Selecting a different preset and returning to the one you just adjusted should restore the settings for that preset.
Last edited by carpepax at Apr 22, 2008,
Oh! I get it. I'll try it later when I have a chance. Makes sense now though.