this is a jackson dkmg. switched to 4-conductor passive pickups .
i found that the tone and the onboard booster knobs were almost useless. the tone knob just made my tone muffled and muted. and the booster switch made my distortion texture unusable at anything but the lowest settings.
but now i'm left with 2 holes in my guitar. i think i'll install a splitter switch to convert from double, to single coil.
but what should i do with the other knob?
don't want to do a kill-switch. not my style.
is there a knob i can get that can balance the signal between the neck and bridge p/ups when the selector switch is in the middle position? sort of like the "left-right" balance on a stereo? or maybe some kind of rotary selector switch that can switch between different capacitors (i have no idea what i'm talking about with this one, but it sounds like something to me).
Yes, you can do a pan knob. A lot of guitars have that instead of a pup selector.

For the splitter, you could do something like the old Peavey T-series and use the splitter knob to fade the coils apart...that way you could have them half-connected. Lots of tonal possibilities there.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Yes, you can do a pan knob. A lot of guitars have that instead of a pup selector.

For the splitter, you could do something like the old Peavey T-series and use the splitter knob to fade the coils apart...that way you could have them half-connected. Lots of tonal possibilities there.

is there a website that has diagrams for this kind of panning setup and coil splitting? also, is the panning knob different from a regular tone/vol potentiometer?
i just got an idea
i have a push/pull pot with the 2 rows 3 posts (dpdt?). i can do the double/single coil with this. but could i wire it up to the pot in order to blend the double-coil back in when its switched to single coil?
in otherwords, when the knob is pressed down its regular series double-coil. when you pull up, it splits the coil into one with the knob rolled all the way to zero. and when you roll the knob up, it brings back the other coil.