I'm a noob, basically learning on my own for about 3-4 months. I can play the basics, switch chords about 90% speed, can play barre chords. I can't say I can play any song "completely" but I mess around with alot of different songs.

My recent situation - it seems like everything I play sounds like crap to me.
I don't really know if it sounds better than I think, I don't really know people who play guitar that live anywhere close to me. I work overnights - I've tried to schedule lessons, but people want a weekly committment, and it is hard for me to make a lesson when I need to sleep.

This morning - I try to play Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Me (capo 2). Can play the chords and basically follow the strumming - after the D chord, the high e string sounds really twangy and louder than all the others. it seems to overpower the other strings and I am not strumming it any harder. Makes the 320030 chord sound bad. Is it strumming/pic/capo/strings or just supposed to sound like that? I use either 0.60 or 0.73 pics, daddario 16 strings.

The other - I try to play Grey Street by DMB. Playing that chord (7x07)rythym progression the d string just resonates/buzzes and it sounds like crap to me.

I'm getting discouraged. should i just play everything down 1/2 step?

any suggestions/advice?
slow the song down, instead of trying to play the song up to speed, try to play the songs well. even if it means slowing the song down, make sure all notes ring properly, no notes buzz. practice slowly and gradually build up speed. it is better than just aiming to play the song at its recorded speed. think accuracy over speed
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
i wudnt know about Grey Street but i play Hear you me myself and have to admit i dont think it sounds too great and ive been playin for years! maybe try some other songs, e.g. where is my mind by pixies to start off with
hope that helps
sounds like your strumming is a little sloppy and overpowering, try think of it as a slow fluid motion, like you're picking each string separately but in one motion. your pick should kind of fall into the next string.

also sounds like, because of the buzzing, you may have some issues with finger strength and not fretting cleanly. Make sure you are using the ball, the tip, of your fingers.

and try some chromatic exercises like... there's some on the lessons here I'm pretty sure, also look up some stuff from john petrucci's rock discipline, or just get on the E string use all 4 fingers and walk back from the 12th fret in this pattern: 12, 11, 10, 9, shift 11, 10, 9, 8 etc. do it to a metronome and make sure every note is clean, this will help build finger strength. you don't have to buy a metronome just look one up on google.

and remember it just takes time, practice, and you'll eventually gain experience.
Quote by eoiniscool
i wudnt know about Grey Street but i play Hear you me myself and have to admit i dont think it sounds too great and ive been playin for years! maybe try some other songs, e.g. where is my mind by pixies to start off with
hope that helps

Good suggestion +1

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave
I dont wanna die, Im a god, why cant I live on?
When the life giver dies, all around is laid to waste.
And in my last hour,
Im a slave to the power of death

Member Of The Jagermeister Fan Club
Quote by Jondy
sounds like your strumming is a little sloppy and overpowering, try think of it as a slow fluid motion, like you're picking each string separately but in one motion. your pick should kind of fall into the next string.

also sounds like, because of the buzzing, you may have some issues with finger strength and not fretting cleanly. Make sure you are using the ball, the tip, of your fingers.

and try some chromatic exercises like... there's some on the lessons here I'm pretty sure, also look up some stuff from john petrucci's rock discipline, or just get on the E string use all 4 fingers and walk back from the 12th fret in this pattern: 12, 11, 10, 9, shift 11, 10, 9, 8 etc. do it to a metronome and make sure every note is clean, this will help build finger strength. you don't have to buy a metronome just look one up on google.

and remember it just takes time, practice, and you'll eventually gain experience.

thanks