Over the last few weeks I've been struggling with choosing between a gig and a gig. Me and my best mate has spent the last 3 months waiting for the Defenders of Faith Tour, ordered out tickets 5 months in advance etc. It was going to be a wild night out and it was going to be great. Then my band bagged a gig on the same night. I planned to go ahead with the gig by recruiting in a rhythm guitarist for the band, who would play the solos that night with the singer strumming some chords.
Then it turned out that ITV, BBC radio, record labels and **** were coming to record this gig as part of a 2 month program that ends up with the band playing a festival. We get a 10 minute set and get feedback from the panel. The band suddenly wanted me to cancel the gig and play instead. I was stuck between letting down my best mate and letting down my band. With 5 days left before this friday.

I'm just curious about what you guys would have done in this situation - played and supported your band (for an import, albeit 10 minute set) or gone off with your mate to the event you've been waiting 5 months for, bought up the back catalogue of 2 of the bands and set aside t-shirt money a month earlier for?
Invite your friend to your set?
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Your friend can find someone else to go with, and sure you'll miss out on that gig, but there will be other good gigs you can go to. Play the 10 minute set. This could be a fantastic opportunity.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Ragen
Hardest choice of my life.
If that's the hardest choice in your life, there's only one solution ... Get a new life.

1 - Decide whether you want to be a fanboy or a musician.

2 - Play the gig, or quit the band. No point in wasting the time of the other members if you're willing to bail on them.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Ooh, tough. Go with the friend. A 10 minute set with your band wouldn't REALLY be worth it, unless you think you could get famous or something like that out of it...

EDIT: Take the gig.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Last edited by dgme92 at Apr 22, 2008,
thats a toughie, i sure hope i dont have to make that decision. i dont know what one i will choose if i was in a similar position. way up pros and cons, u never know when Defenders of the Faith will be on tour near you again. or if the gig with the BBC etc. will happen again. erm, on more thought, i might go with the gig, but it depends, can you get a refund on the tickets? if not then u should go to the gig. in fact, go to the gig anyway, you will get other chance of fame later on, got with what was on the calendar first. as for your band, get in an extra guitarist, pay him for like the evening or whatever. i duno. its ur call
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
If you think you would actually have a chance to impress the people at your gig (have confidence in your music, performance ability) then go for it. Just because labels and promoters and whoever will be there doesn't mean they will sign you and you'll be a rockstar.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
I would play the show.

You could see those bands another time, and I'm sure your buddy will understand that this could be a very important night for you (and your bandmates). He can find someone else to go with.
a one off gig, or a gig that could become a career, pretty easy decision if you ask me mate
if your best mate was really your best mate, he would understand that you gotta play this gig. probably should of given him more time than 5 days to then find someone else to go with but im sure he would understand
Just make sure you're mate doesn't need to go alone.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
If that's the hardest choice in your life, there's only one solution ... Get a new life.

1 - Decide whether you want to be a fanboy or a musician.

2 - Play the gig, or quit the band. No point in wasting the time of the other members if you're willing to bail on them.

well said.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Sell the tickets on eBay, get some cash, go with the band (especialy if there are scouts etc there) and then use that cash to get laid. All in all a great night out .

Oh, and invite your friend to watch you, he'd be a bit pissed if you didn't.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Invite your mate to you gig, or find a mutual friend to give the ticket for. That way it's not rude, so he can't be pissed.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No point in wasting the time of the other members if you're willing to bail on them.
A-*expletive*-MEN!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

What are Defender of Faith doing? Playing a gig!

Do the same thing, numb nuts!
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
eBay?

I would wait until you could see them again and do the gig.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Go with your friend. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Go with your friend. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Its not technically, from a musicians point of veiw ( by musician i mean music being in my blood so to speak) that i would choose to play as a band. From a freinds point of veiw, i would choose to see a band.
I would'nt go with the latter IMO, i would do the gig. You're friend is not your freind if he doesn't understand how important it is, that being said, he would be pissed, anyone would, but he would understand.

SYK summed it up perfectly.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

If I was in your band and you bailed on a really important gig, you'd be straight out of there.
If I was your friend and you had an important gig coming up but it meant you'd miss a gig that is probably going to happen again in a couple of years anyway, I'd be ok with it.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Got it sorted. My dads going to take my best mate, with another of his mates to manchester. I'm going to play the gig and then take my best mate out to see 3 Inches of Blood/ any metal I can find playing Leeds in the next month.
I was going to take him to see Vader (\../ (-_-) \../ ) but he turned that down so it's looking like 3 IOB.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Invite your mate to you gig, or find a mutual friend to give the ticket for. That way it's not rude, so he can't be pissed.

Yea, try and compromise. Like explain your situation to him, if he is your best friend he'll probably understand.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
talk it over with your friend. if hes a good friend hell accept that you should play this gig.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn