Is it possible to buy an amp with both mark knopfler and david gilmours guitar sound in?

I have around 800 $ to spend, what amp should I buy:link please

Maybe I'll buy a Maxon SD to boost the drive a little bit, but the important thing is the amp!
Quote by pondus92
Is it possible to buy an amp with both mark knopfler and david gilmours guitar sound in?

I have around 800 $ to spend, what amp should I buy:link please

Maybe I'll buy a Maxon SD to boost the drive a little bit, but the important thing is the amp!

Hmm well Gilmour uses HiWatt amps, but theres no way $800 will get you one of those, not even used. He does use Fender amps for small shows like if he's promoting a tour etc. HiWatts have a high headroom for clean tone, they don't distort easily. Gilmour uses pedals to get his overdriven tone and a compression pedal to get the smooth clean sustain like on Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Knopfler I'm not too sure about but to me his tone should be able to be achieved with a Fender amp also. Something like the Blues Deluxe would be a good bet I think. I've seen some photos of a show where Gilmour was playing to promote his On an Island tour and had that amp if I remember correctly behind him.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Deluxe-Reissue-40W-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=483718

Single coil pickups are a must for both and a Strat as both used them. I think that Knopfler uses humbucker in the bridge now? Hmm not sure, don't quote me on that.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I have:
Fender American Stratocaster
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod Xt

And i feel that the amp is holding me back, if you understand what I mean...
Quote by pondus92
I have:
Fender American Stratocaster
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod Xt

And i feel that the amp is holding me back, if you understand what I mean...

Well I'm sure there are settings to get various Gilmour and Knopfler tones out of a Pod, never used one though but like I said look into Fender amps like the one I mentioned. I think those would be your best bet. Personally, if I were to go for those tones my setup would go like this...

Fender Blues Jr. NOS 15 watt
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Jr.-NOS-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Lacquer-Tweed-with-Jensen-Speakers?sku=483711

+

Fender Custom Shop '69 Strat Pickups
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-69-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301637
Yeah, I'd imagine a Fender is your best bet. Any sort of HiWatt is way out of your budget anyway, and I don't think that would get you your Knopfler....
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
For Gilmours lead tone you need a Les Paul, or be able to play at a ridiculous volume, to get the real singing sustain he is known for.

Also Gilmour is a tone chameleon. No 2 songs are the exact same.

Their basic tones aren't reall far apart.
Peavey Classic would probably get the sound. I believe the 30 watt ones are only like 400 or 500 bucks too, so you could have some cash left over.
Quote by MAYNARD
For Gilmours lead tone you need a Les Paul, or be able to play at a ridiculous volume, to get the real singing sustain he is known for.

Also Gilmour is a tone chameleon. No 2 songs are the exact same.

Their basic tones aren't reall far apart.

Gilmour uses Strats on pretty much everything except a few songs here and there like on his On an Island album where he used a couple LP's a few times. He is to Strats like Jimi Page is to LP's. His only variations is he used EMG SA pickups back in the 80's and 90's in his red American '57 reissue Strat. He's back to his black Strat with passives which he's had since about '71 ( minus 10yrs or so he lend it to Hard Rock Cafe and got it back ). Humbuckers will not get you a crystal clear Gilmour tone nor will American Strat standard pickups. You need vintage output single coil pickups like the '69 Custom Shop's and the closest amps are either Hiwatt's or Fender amps like mentioned before
If you save up 200 or so more dollars you could get one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-65-Deluxe-Reverb-Combo-Amp?sku=480507

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-DeVille-410-Reissue-Guitar-Amp?sku=483719

If you searched used you could likely get an older Fender twin, one of the best clean amps on the planet with some of the most natural, beautiful tube breakup I've ever heard. (Twin, NOT twin Reverb. As much as I love the Twin reverb they aren't exactly renowned for taking pedals, sheerly because they are clean up to 9 or 10. You can't overdrive something if theres nothing to overdrive)
Quote by DSOTM80
Gilmour uses Strats on pretty much everything except a few songs here and there like on his On an Island album where he used a couple LP's a few times. He is to Strats like Jimi Page is to LP's. His only variations is he used EMG SA pickups back in the 80's and 90's in his red American '57 reissue Strat. He's back to his black Strat with passives which he's had since about '71 ( minus 10yrs or so he lend it to Hard Rock Cafe and got it back ). Humbuckers will not get you a crystal clear Gilmour tone nor will American Strat standard pickups. You need vintage output single coil pickups like the '69 Custom Shop's and the closest amps are either Hiwatt's or Fender amps like mentioned before

Gilmour recorded tons with an old gold top.
Quote by DSOTM80

And you can get sustain out of a strat, just not the same sounding as either a LP or standin right in front of an isanely loud amp and runnin it wide open.
i play a MIA standard strat with texas special pups through a fender deluxe amp, while i wouldnt compare myself in any way with gilmour or knopfler i do play their songs and am fairly happy with the sound that i get.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
if i'm not mistaken gilmour also uses extremely light strings 8-36? i believe it is in the guitar world issue last year with him on the cover being interviewed on his boat(which he recorded momentary lapse of reason)
Quote by MAYNARD

And you can get sustain out of a strat, just not the same sounding as either a LP or standin right in front of an isanely loud amp and runnin it wide open.

Strat + compression pedal = sustain (Shine on You Crazy Diamond) and where did you hear this gold top LP theory? He used a gold top LP on his recent solo album for about a 1/3 of it. All his other stuff with Pink Floyd is played on a Strat, especially live. The only other guitar he mainly used for recording was a custom made Bill Lewis guitar that had 24 frets, which he used on Money solo and others. Besides saying you can't get sustain out of a single coil without running an amp full on is ridiculous sorry. Just because 1 of his 2 GHS signature sets has him playing a gold top LP doesn't mean he's 'recorded tons' with it
Some sort of good Fender tube amp (Blues Deluxe looks a really good option, though I have a thing for Deluxe Reverbs myself ), good f/x pedals (distortion, delay, phaser, compressor, all the good stuff) and most of all a Strat with vintage style PUs is what I'd be thinking

If you're strung out for cash for the Strat. have a look at the MIM 1950's Player's Series - they have reasonably vintage spec for a great price.
Quote by mathman51
while searching for answers on big muff i came across this which may help in gilmour tones

www.gilmourish.com
www.tonefromheaven.com

Yea both sites are great, especially Gilmourish. Just don't get overboard like he does on the site with needing to have 'the exact pedals' to get his tone. Its in the fingers more then anything else.
Fender Custom Shop '69s are not vintage-wound pickups at all.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.