Hey im glad to finally be a member to such a cool site this place is awesome! Anyways I just started playing about 2 months ago I got a cheap left handed johnson for like 75 bucks and I've been progressing I feel fairly well, but I can tell this guitar is obviously going to give me limitations and i'd like to get another one in about 2 or 3 months. I have been thinking of getting the dean mlxl lefty i found it for 280 or if not that i would like to get some kind of les paul. I got to stay under 300 bucks does anyone have a recommendation for a quality les paul in that range or should I stick with the dean i want? I plan on upgrading to a nice guitar in a few years or so but I would like the next one to be solid enough to get me there thanks alot!
That is a tough spot to be in, being left-handed pretty much cuts into your choices. Epiphone has a couple of Les Pauls just under that price range. I was in the same spot as you when I upgraded my starter after a year of playing. I ended up reaching up beyond my budget to get something, but my choices as a lefty were short and my ability to try out different guitars very limited.
Reviews for the Dean http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Dean+Guitars/MLX/10/1 look mediocre. I wouldn't get a bolt on neck guitar unless it was at least a mim fender. I was able to get my g400 for $300 new but I did a lot on price matching and got lucky. For a les paul I wouldn't get anything below a epi les paul standard and that runs $400ish in lefty.

Does your johnson stay in tune and do the pots work? If so I would save up until you get around $500 and get something worth the money. I would look at ESP EC500s for a les paul look in that price range.
Epi SG G400 Lefty
Modded Valve Junior
Noisy Cricket 1/2 Watt

Toneport GX
Yea ive heard mixed reviews on the dean they recommending a pickup change and that made it adequate enough for the stage im in. My plan was to go for that dean then save up and get a nice les paul down the road...if i had to i could stretch my budget but not by much. my johnson is SO difficult to tune and when i tune it i have to go back and tune my 5th and 6th because they go out as i tune down. sorry if this is dumb but whats the pots?
Quote by groovis
For a les paul I wouldn't get anything below a epi les paul standard and that runs $400ish in lefty.

I agree... they have a couple in the $500 & $600 range I believe.
$444 For a LP Standard. I would just keep saving until you grab that or look used in your stores and craigslist.
Epi SG G400 Lefty
Modded Valve Junior
Noisy Cricket 1/2 Watt

Toneport GX