Sam Ash is offering a Handsome Devil for $300 (before tax), and Craigslist has a slightly used TT for $375 (no tax) that I could probably knock down to $325-350.

Which of these would be the better choice for essentially the whole gamut of sounds (decent cleans, light OD, hard rock and heavy metal with an OD up front)? I will most likely be running this through an Avatar 1x12/2x12 cab of some kind.

EDIT: Got the Tiny Terror - scroll down to the bottom!
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Apr 22, 2008,
Uh, I don;t really know about the Handsome Devil?? But for 325 the Tiny Terror sounds like the direction I would be headed.
that tiny terror might be dissapointing on high headroom cleans, it has a bit of dirt with it's cleans. but running a bit of an OD up front makes those tubes drive well, good harmonics and feedback. i wish i could give you a better idea of what the black heart would sound like but i only own a TT and i know it has great dirty, overdriven and pretty good high end gain and you would not be dissapointed.

as far as avatar cabinets go, i would recommend the contemporary model with a V30 and a G12H-30 to match with the TT, they compliment each other quite nicely.
Cleans at gig volume = no go

However once into crunchy sounds the TT is one of the best amps out there, the high gain stuff is killer.

For most types of rock I cannot recommend it enough!
I'd definitely be going with the Tiny Terror
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Well the Handsome Devil isn't out yet, so no one can give you opinions on that, but the TT is a very nice amp and it is VERY versatile - don't get an overdrive pedal, get a boost
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Well the Handsome Devil isn't out yet, so no one can give you opinions on that, but the TT is a very nice amp and it is VERY versatile - don't get an overdrive pedal, get a boost

Well, I have a TS9, which could be used as a clean boost if I want, so I think I'm set
Axe-FX Standard
The Tiny Terror kicks ass... and I think its better with a TS9 rather than a boost. But to each his own.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
What samash did you go to?! They have 2 handsomedevils there and their both going for around $410
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=0&TempID=1&STRID=154035&Method=2&CategoryID=0&BrandID=0&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&SearchPhrase=blackheart+devil&Contains=%2Ablackheart%2A+AND+%2Adevil%2A&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

Talking about that. It's not available online for order yet, but I figured that if it'd be better than the TT, then I could wait a little while. (Also, it's just the head version, not the combo.)

Looks like the TT has a lot of votes, though. If anyone has been able to try it in person anywhere, please share your opinions.
Axe-FX Standard
I'd expect the Tiny Terror to be better in virtually every way. Those Blackhearts get a lot of love around here from people who like the looks of 'em, despite the fact that they're not even out yet.

Orange has the real track record. A TT for under $400 should be jumped on promptly.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I already shot two e-mails over to the seller. Still waiting on a response
Axe-FX Standard
watch some of this guys tiny terror videos he will show you what it can do he works for orange and he's also a member of this board

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ&feature=PlayList&p=0F4FDD4945135B75&index=3

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kq8IshRNuis&feature=PlayList&p=0F4FDD4945135B75&index=4

tiny terror demo at full volume starts at around 5 mins 30 ish

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P-PHqs4zBAc&feature=PlayList&p=0F4FDD4945135B75&index=0
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT
Okay, got the TT head today. Seller was great - his price at $375 was firm, but it is in pretty good condition, and he even took the time to drive it over to a convenient location. Only problem is, I don't have a cab (yet) to test it on. Earliest I'll have one is tomorrow at a neighbor's place or at Guitar Center. I just want to make sure it works, though, but I have the guy's contact info and such just in case I need to bitch him out if it doesn't

So in addition to extra suggestions for cabs (keep 'em coming!), I have a few extra questions:

1. Even without a cab attached, could I keep it in standby and let the tubes warm up, just to make sure this is working?

2. Would it be better to go for a 16 ohm or 8 ohm cab? I'm assuming 16, but if anyone can elaborate, that would be great. The TT has one 16 ohm connector and two 8 ohms (I'm assuming for stereo).
Axe-FX Standard
^ Just checking. Don't worry, I've had it disconnected and in its little gig bag ever since it was delivered.
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Also, it's just the head version, not the combo.
Looks like the TT has a lot of votes, though. If anyone has been able to try it in person anywhere, please share your opinions.

ohhh for the head.

Lol thought it was also including the cab
You absolutely can turn it on if it's not plugged into a cab. You wouldn't even hurt anything by turning it off standby as long as nothing is plugged into the input, though you wouldn't be able to tell anything differently than if it was on standby so there's no reason to.
Turn it on, see if the tubes get warm and that all the lights come on.
to slatsmania, i can openly vouch for the blackheart. supposedly the orange series are marshally sounding correct? well the blackhearts are pretty great themselves at getting that marshall crunch and roar. absolutely beautiful what $300 got me in 5 watts. and i dont think anyone on here has had any reliability issues with blackheart amps yet. i honestly don't know of ANY. and i wouldn't believe any "well i have a friend who's already had a problem..." garbage b/c it would just be said to disprove me. if someone who owns one said it that'd be different though.

so all in all, blackhearts are great amps and absolutely great tone. if any reliability issues happen w/ mine i'll be sure to let UG know about it. though, blackheart seems to take pride in making sure that their amps are built like tanks and can survive some abusive punishment!! just had to clear this blackheart thing up. they look cool and vintage hell yea, but that's nothing compared to hearing one in person or playing on one.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Roc8995
You absolutely can turn it on if it's not plugged into a cab. You wouldn't even hurt anything by turning it off standby as long as nothing is plugged into the input, though you wouldn't be able to tell anything differently than if it was on standby so there's no reason to.
Turn it on, see if the tubes get warm and that all the lights come on.
Beware of bad advice and do not listen to this person!

This is taken from an article on dummy speaker load emulators:

"Valve amplifiers in particular don't like running with their speakers unplugged -- they are designed to run into the load of a loudspeaker, and without this load, the output stage of the amp could sustain serious damage. Think of it like a car engine; on the motorway you might be able to run it flat out without damaging it, but remove the load by jacking the wheels off the ground and the engine will over-rev and wreck itself."

There are numerous warnings against turning on the amp without a speaker load connected. You CAN and PROBABLY WILL damage the tubes and/or amp circuit components if you do this.
Last edited by carpepax at Apr 22, 2008,
good call on the boost pedal, it was kinda typo, to use the amp distortion you will want a boost pedal to tickle the tubes, i still use an OD on mine cuz my addrock pedal is slick slick slick and sounds way awesome and lets me have 3 channels effectively

to reply on what kinda cab you need i would definitely run a 16 ohm cabinet(the 8 ohm outputs are for running 2 16 ohm cabinets out and it is not in stereo, i don't recommend running 2 cabinets as i find it eats my tone up and i don't get as much feedback, sustain and harmonics), i own an orange 2x12 i love to freaking death but i would recommend looking at an avatar cabinet, they make a contemporary cab that is the same specs as an orange and they let you mix and match speakers and pick color... oh i pretty much said this in my post above, anyhow, check them out you shouldn't be upset with them, especially their price.
Quote by carpepax
Beware of bad advice!

There are numerous warnings against turning on the amp without a speaker load connected. You CAN and PROBABLY WILL damage the tubes and/or amp circuit components if you do this.

you didn't read the whole post....

he said it's ok only if you don't have anything plugged into the input.

next time read my friend
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
you didn't read the whole post....

he said it's ok only if you don't have anything plugged into the input.

next time read my friend

I did read it and it's still not OK even if you have a guitar plugged in! Everybody's unplugged the guitar with the amp on. The amps are designed to accommodate cable or instrument changes but nobody's likely to change speakers on a whim. No matter what, a speaker or a load emulator must be connected. Period. End.

I read every letter and the advice is flat-out wrong from beginning to end. I am trying to save a new Tiny Terror owner from following such advice straight to the amp graveyard!
You can turn a tube amp on standby without a load. If there is no signal going through the amp then you don't need a speaker connected. The output transformer wont blow when there is no output signal.
Same thing as using an amp head as a preamp and not having it connected to a speaker. As long as you break the signal path before the power stage you are fine.
Last edited by Kino22x at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by Kino22x
You can turn a tube amp on standby without a load. If there is no signal going through the amp then you don't need a speaker connected. The output transformer wont blow when there is no output signal.

I have never heard of this exception but, I suppose that if there is personal experience involved in these being acceptable conditions for turning the amp on without a speaker load, then perhaps it is OK. Come to think of it, when in standby mode, no signal gets to the speaker, so maybe it is just fine.

If I typed harshly of reasonable advice, I apologize.
The Handsome Devil is out.....Google it guys.....

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/amps/guitar-amps/Blackheart/BH15H.asp

Its ready to ship and everything
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I promise I know what I'm talking about.
To reiterate: You can turn on a TUBE amp without a speaker connected and it will be fine so long as it is in standby or there is no signal going to the amp. The amp is producing no power and therefore cannot break due to a lack of a power handling device such as a speaker or attenuator. You cannot do this with solid state amps; they will start spitting out DC, squarewave, bad stuff, and might blow your speakers up when you plug back in.
A word of caution: while you certainly can turn the amp on and off standby with no load, there's no reason to do so, and there's a slim chance that a discharge/microphonic/whatever could take out your transformer. It's nothing to worry about, i.e. you won't blow up your amp if you forget to connect it, but I wouldn't go doing it on purpose. Leave the amp on standby.