Alright so I've finally after two years of searching narrowed the guitars down to two choices a PRS Standard 24 (or a custom 24 I guess) and a PRS DGT. I really like the color the DGT has and from what I heard off the samples the pickups sound fantastic. The only thing I'm worried about is that the pickups on the DGT can't take as much gain as the ones on the standard.

I play literally every type of music. From Jazz to fusion to death metal to blues to classic rock to classical to indy etc. I need something that can do pretty much everything.

Here are the links to the guitar info:

DGT: http://www.prsguitars.com/dgt/index.html
Standard 24: http://www.prsguitars.com/standard/index.html

I would get the gold top standard.

Here's a list of pros and cons that I made.

DGT:

Pros:
Has coil taps pre-installed
Amazing sounding pickups
Awesome color

Cons:
Pickups may not be able to handle a lot of gain
No bird inlays

Standard 24:

Pros:
Great overall guitar
Bird inlays available
Pickups can handle gain

Cons:
Probably not as good as the DGT considering the $400 price gap
Not as nice of a color

Here's a demo of the DGT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-IMdD6Jy1eU

I'd be getting a gold top on the standard which would look like this: http://www.klik-n-shop.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/93gold-fulcs.jpg

As you can see it's not as deep of a gold as on the DGT.

What do you guys think?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Haven't played those two, but I own a Custom22 and have played a Custom 24 and all I can say is I think that's as close to perfection as you can get with a production line guitar. If you have the money or find a good deal (like I did) get a Custom 22/24.

And to get to your question, they can go anywhere from death metal to funk and you can even do a good bit of trem abuse without it going out of tune. Incredibly versatile, esp with the 5-way pickup switch.

- edit - Oh and the DGT is a signature model, so you'd always expect to pay a good amount more just because of that. So it's not necessarily any better than the Standard.
Last edited by Aziraphale at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by Aziraphale
Haven't played those two, but I own a Custom22 and have played a Custom 24 and all I can say is I think that's as close to perfection as you can get with a production line guitar. If you have the money or find a good deal (like I did) get a Custom 22/24.

And to get to your question, they can go anywhere from death metal to funk and you can even do a good bit of trem abuse without it going out of tune. Incredibly versatile, esp with the 5-way pickup switch.

- edit - Oh and the DGT is a signature model, so you'd always expect to pay a good amount more just because of that. So it's not necessarily any better than the Standard.

I guess you're right about the signature model meaning a higher price...but those pickups do sound great. :P

I'l have to look into a custom.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
MEH.... bird inlays are neither here nor there.....

go for the tone you are looking for.... I really like the DGT, but I think you will be more happy with a custom/standard 24.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
I know bird inlays wont affect your tone or what not but to have a PRS you almost have to have the bird inlays. Thats how it is for me. If im paying that much I want the person from far see I have the birds of a PRS...

Sucka.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
Quote by brianthemayan
MEH.... bird inlays are neither here nor there.....

go for the tone you are looking for.... I really like the DGT, but I think you will be more happy with a custom/standard 24.

Do you have DGT?
Haven't played the DGT but my friend has a standard and a custom 22....the customs are much better to me, it could handle anything i threw at it(cleans, VERY high gain, bluesy tones) with perfection. They're also more pleasing to the eye. If I could have one guitar in the world it would be a PRS custom 22/24
Ok, well what's the difference between a Custom 24 and a Standard 24?
PRS's single cuts, with trem and push pull pot is very versatile,

but the most versatile PRS i ever played, in fact i played one tonight, was a swamp ash PRS at a PRS clinic in eastbourne (UK) at bonners music store. i played a private stock maple neck 513 too !

DGT - is david grissoms sig PRS,

i have played one and they are very nice, i dont like the idea of sig models but the DGT is very nice.

David grissoms style and licks are very original IMO, check out his 2 albums with storyville "dog years" and "piece of your soul"

his debut solo album is ok, not too keen on his voice, but it has louds of pure PRS tone and his sig licks and tricks.
Last edited by DieKrupps at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by DieKrupps
PRS's single cuts, with trem and push pull pot is very versatile,

but the most versatile PRS i ever played, in fact i played one tonight, was a swamp ash PRS at a PRS clinic in eastbourne (UK) at bonners music store. i played a private stock maple neck 513 too !

DGT - is david grissoms sig PRS,

i have played one and they are very nice, i dont like the idea of sig models but the DGT is very nice.

David grissoms style and licks are very original IMO, check out his 2 albums with storyville "dog years" and "piece of your soul"

his debut solo album is ok, not too keen on his voice, but it has louds of pure PRS tone and his sig licks and tricks.

Hmmm a swamp ash special might be a good idea...

But what's the difference between a standard 24 and a custom 24?
the difference is that the custom has a lot more bells and whistles. Like a nitro finish, awsome colors, birds, binding etc... when it comes down to the sound of a standard and a custom, its essentially the same thing
if you want a ton of versatility, look into a PRS 513
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Eastwood Ultra GP
beat up 1960's Gibson LGO acoustic
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Ok, well what's the difference between a Custom 24 and a Standard 24?

If I'm not mistaken, the Standard doesn't have a maple cap?

Anyway, the elusive and badly formulated truth is that the Customs are just where the most attention goes (save for the Private Stocks and 513's and other ridiculously priced models), they're the flagship of PRS and so they have to maintain great quality to keep a good reputation for the brand. Most people who get a Standard or CE do it because they can't afford a Custom. So they'll be aware that any flaws their guitar might have, it's because it's not a Custom In some cases it might even propel Standard/CE owners to get a Custom aswell/instead in the end. So very clever marketing going on there.

And guitar building is an art, you can't really narrow it down to statistics. The mahogany used in the Standard may be the mahogany that was rejected for the Customs. The Customs are simply a higher priority so the best woods and (maybe) the most experienced luthiers are used for the Customs.

There are so many factors involved in building a guitar that if you want to be on the safe side and invest in a guitar that you know will be only the best stuff possible, the Custom is the way to go.
Quote by dennys 4 lif3
if you want a ton of versatility, look into a PRS 513

That's waaaaaaaaaaay out of my budget.
dude, go to a music which stocks a lot of PRS's.....i know this for a fact, you will pick one up and think its the one.

dont worry about being "the most" versatile.....versatility can be a part in your playing.

A custom 24 has 24 frets and a standard has 22 im sure.

if you get a PRS with a push pull pot, 2 humbuckers, trem single cut or traditional its going to be amazing !........

the different combinations of weather you get this or that is subtle.

Just get get enough money around the mark they cost roughly...and go and play them !!!!

I tested a DGT at a huge reputable store in UK about 3 months ago.  The assistant rigged up the new Fender bassbreaker 15 as I was also interested in that amp.  I absolutely hated the sound.  Nothing seemed right but somehow at the back of my mind I was thinking that I cannot dismiss this guitar.  The company has such a good reputation and I put it down to too many people having tested and abused the guitar or perhaps me not knowing the amp well enough.
Months passed by and I was again looking at PRS guitars online.  More precisely Wolrd Guitar shop in Gloucester.  I was intent on getting a Custom 24 this time.  I them visited PMT store in Portsmouth and was hoping to test a custom 24 a CE22 and a DGT.  They only had the custom 24 and the CE22.  I did not like the CE at all.  The custom 24 was fine and I could have bought it but did not.  I drove home to London and that night I went back to world guitar website and pressed the trigger on a guitar I tested months earlier but did not like.  Yes I purcahsed a PRS DGT 2017.  I just fell in love with it.
It arrived yesterday and boy am I loving it.  I am a Stratocaster guy at heart.  My strat is 24 years old and I have never bonded with humbucker guitars.  My mate has an amazing Les Paul and I love the tone he gets.  Just never like it when I play it.
The DGT is something else.  The videos below is just the Guitar plugged straight into my rectoverb 25 with some spring reverb from the amp itself.   the amp's master volume was turned down to 2 as I live in a flat and cannot crank it up.  Guitar heaven.  The coil splits sound very stratty and the sound combination is amazing.  The guitar is very pleasing to look at and just beautifully crafted.
I have no association with world guitars but when someone from a company is replying to your emails at 11:30 on a friday evening, you know you have found a company that cares.  Mark Smith was very quick to reply to any queries and on a friday evening when the shop was already shut he was emailing me to ask what my setup preferences are.  By Tuesday the guitar was delivered.  Happy customer.
The following was recorded off a samsung s6 edge mobile phone by the way.

;t=1s

Last edited by jimtall32 at Sep 6, 2017,
Don't bump old threads please. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.