It's my first post here at UG! I've played electric guitar for a while but I recently was introduced to the Post-Rock scene and I'm looking for a way for me to get into it myself. My influences would be bands like 'Explosions in the Sky', 'This Will Destroy You', 'Russian Circles', 'Mono', 'Godspeed You! Black Emperor', but mainly instrumental groups. Right now, I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Custom through a VOX AD30VT and I'm looking to start my first pedalboard. Right now, money really isn't an issue, I'm planning on buying one piece at a time, and I'd rather get it right the first time rather then getting some scrub pedal as a temporary one.

I've done some research so far, and so far, I'm interested in the following: loop station, delay/reverb, volume, distortion, possibly an octave, and I would get an overdrive waaaay later on, once I upgrade from my hybrid amp. So if you guys could help critique my selection so far, or give me advice on possible alternatives, that would be awesome.

Loop Station: Line 6 DL-4
Delay: Boss DD-3 or DD-6
Reverb: Boss RV-3 or RV-5 or Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail or Line 6 Verbzilla
Volume: Ernie Ball Passive or Boss Low Impedence
Distortion: ProCo Turbo RAT or Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Octave: Boss OC-3

So I'm looking for the differences between the DD-3/DD-6, RV-3/RV-5/Holy Grail/Verbzilla, Ernie Ball/Boss, Turbo RAT/Big Muff, and which one is superior or any other suggestions. Also, what's the optimal way to set up the pedals, as which one should go before the other one.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, but if I were planning on practicing by myself and I needed background percussion, is there any way I can get that, like a digital drum kit where I just set what beats the drums need to come in or something?

Remember I'm not planning to get all of this at once, just a little at a time, so money really isn't an issue.

Thanks!
Last edited by enn at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by Fama

Loop Station: Boss RC-2
Delay: Boss DD-3 or DD-6 or Line 6 DL-4
Reverb: Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail
Volume: Ernie Ball Passive or Boss Low Impedence
Distortion: ProCo Turbo RAT or Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Octave: Boss OC-3 (maybe EHX POG/HOG/miniversion/whatever?)

Don't get the DL-4 just for looping. It's a delay pedal - and it costs too much to just use it as a looper. I believe the RC-2 is a better looper while costing less. For delay, those are all good choices for digital delay (I take it you want versatility over analog warmness). The reverb, meh, I've just heard so much good about the Holy Grail. Don't know about the volume (Boss is generally ok, Ernie Ball is good I hear?). Distortion - I believe the RAT is a more straightforward rock distortion thing (basic distortion pedal), but the Big Muff is more of a fuzz-distortion. Part fuzz, part distortion. I suggest you try it before you buy it. For Octave, I dunno about the OC-3 (I think it's ok), but you might want to consider one of the EHX pedals. You can get some damn cool organ sounds with them (and some of them are polyphonic(sp?), meaning they can track chords which I think the OC-3 can't do).

Link for Micro Pog organ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTB9gw9OY5k
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Defiantly Delay for post rock/metal stuff.

I think something like an Akai Headrush will allow you to produce those long sound scape delays. I don't find reverb to be essential to post rock/metal it will benefit it in the same way as any other style of music.

I am not familiar with the RAT, but the Big Muff has a lot of low end which may be more suitable for heavier stuff like Pelican, Neurosis, Russian Circles etc rather than something like Godspeed.

In this case I think a more general purpose pedal may be more suitable like a Tonebone or a Blackstar.
Quote by ixelion
I am not familiar with the RAT, but the Big Muff has a lot of low end which may be more suitable for heavier stuff like Pelican, Neurosis, Russian Circles etc rather than

That. The Big Muff might not be what you're looking for. I have one myself, and I use it to get an Electric Wizard-like tone. Tons of low end.
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
The Big Muff wouldn't really be appropriate 90% of the time. The Rat's very nice indeed, and the TS808 gets some great tones.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Pretty good choices all around, in my opinion. You might want to look into a compressor if you're into Russian Circles style tapping. As for the dirt pedals, you might consider getting a wilder fuzz box too, like the ZVex Fuzz Factory or Catalinbread Teaser Stallion (if you like a bit of oscillating madness). Having several different dirt pedals on your board is always a good idea if you want a big sonic palette.
Just thought I'd mention your ad30vt will hate the effects, I know you're upgrading but I'd do that first.

But anyway a TS808 would kill a big muff as stated above, and a Boss Looping Station would be better than the Line6 Delay pedal.
+1 to the suggestion of getting an EHX octaver as oppsoed to that Boss.

Also, Holy Grail Plus for reverb.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
At least step up to the RC-20XL for the loop station. It's way easier to work with in a real time setting than the smaller one. The DL4 is about as good of a delay pedal as you'll find and is really at it's best when used as one. Given your effects requirements, I'd rather have a G-Major and a small Midi controller.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
At least step up to the RC-20XL for the loop station. It's way easier to work with in a real time setting than the smaller one. The DL4 is about as good of a delay pedal as you'll find and is really at it's best when used as one. Given your effects requirements, I'd rather have a G-Major and a small Midi controller.

+1, except for the G-Major - if you think you can manage it, then it's great, but pedals are a lot simpler to use than rack gear.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Thanks guys for your input, I really appreciate it!!

Yeah, I would like to get a TS808, and even though I said money's not really an issue... with the TS808, it is... maybe later on in life. So from you're input, this is what i have now:

Loop Station: Boss RC-2 or RC-20XL
Delay: Line 6 DL-4
Reverb: Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail or Plus
Volume: Boss VL-500H
Distortion: ProCo Turbo RAT
Octave: Electro-Harmonix Micro Pog

So I'm still deciding between the RC-2 and RC-20XL. I've read from one person saying that the RC-2 can do the exact same thing as the RC-20XL, except for reverse, which the DL-4 can do. So is there anything else that justifies the huge price difference between the two besides the RC-20XL having two pedals, and looks badass? And, is there any useful difference between the Holy Grail and the Holy Grail Plus reverbs?

And, what do you guys think of the Kaoss Pad for percussion for practicing alone. Is there any cheaper alternative that will get me decent percussion sounds?
Last edited by enn at Apr 22, 2008,
Regarding the Kaoss Pad's, the KP1 and KP2 have absolute crap for drum samples and really shouldn't be used for that purpose. The KP3 is better, but I don't have enough experience with one to judge whether or not it's a passable drum machine substitute.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Fama

Link for Micro Pog organ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTB9gw9OY5k

That is cool as hell! Isn't that Fatso's vid?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
looks pretty good. i'd be tempted to look into getting a danelectro fabtone. they're pretty awesome for making big unholy noise. really cheap too.

i think the verbzilla is a better choice than the ehx. many more options texturally.

for delay, i think the akai headrush is a good choice, definitely well worth a look. especially if you combine it with something like an ibanez de-7 that you can tip into self-oscillation if thats your thing. i thing that a second delay pedal would be a much more useful purchase than an octaver too. furthermore, the headrush might even fulfil your needs as a looper too. might not, but could be worth a try.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Fama
Don't get the DL-4 just for looping. It's a delay pedal - and it costs too much to just use it as a looper. I believe the RC-2 is a better looper while costing less.

You sir, are correct. I have the RC-20 (the dual pedal) and it is great. Tis noisy, but its sacrificial for ease of use.

The Boss loopers are the simplest by far to use; the Digitech loopers are very complicated. The Boss wins for user-friendly interfaces.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
So what are decent drum machines that are cheap but still good for practicing alone?
Quote by enn
So what are decent drum machines that are cheap but still good for practicing alone?

The Boss Loop Station's tap tempo feature will actually do a drumbeat. You set the tempo and the drums go along with it.

It's pretty basic; I think it's just a tom/snare and the kick.

BUT, I only know the drums for sure are on the one I have (the dual-pedal design)
--

--
Id actually go for one of the Boss reverbs in this case. A lot of post rock bands I listen to use them and sound really good
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I have a Boss RC-50 and it was well worth the cash. It's pretty intuitive to use and you can add extra switches to it, which makes it even better. Try one out and see what you think.

Also it does have drums, although I'm not a fan of them and don't use them. You can choose different time signatures and stuff, although you can't change the time signature mid-patch which is kind of a letdown. But the quality of them is okay, and you can link a drum machine up to it via MIDI and control the drums through the RC-50.

If you can find any cheap wah pedal for $20 or $30 bucks, you can take out a certain capacitor and it becomes a volume pedal. Super simple, totally effective. Search around for any broken Crybabies or Voxes that you can salvage. I picked up a perfectly good Crybaby at a pawn shop for $25, which I fixed in about five minutes and now works perfectly.
Quote by Wonthefu
I have a Boss RC-50 and it was well worth the cash. It's pretty intuitive to use and you can add extra switches to it, which makes it even better. Try one out and see what you think.

Also it does have drums, although I'm not a fan of them and don't use them. You can choose different time signatures and stuff, although you can't change the time signature mid-patch which is kind of a letdown. But the quality of them is okay, and you can link a drum machine up to it via MIDI and control the drums through the RC-50.

If you can find any cheap wah pedal for $20 or $30 bucks, you can take out a certain capacitor and it becomes a volume pedal. Super simple, totally effective. Search around for any broken Crybabies or Voxes that you can salvage. I picked up a perfectly good Crybaby at a pawn shop for $25, which I fixed in about five minutes and now works perfectly.

Yeah, I never use my drums either. Gets kinda annoying after a while.

But the Station is definately worth the money.
--

--
Also, digital effect are best placed before distortions, since they can process a clean signal better than a dirty one. So any pitch modulation and the like should probably go first. then the dist/OD, volume, reverb, delay, then the looper.

Of course you should try different things in different places, maybe you like the sound of the octaver after the dist/OD or you like the chorus at the beginning or something... just try to think about what your doing to the signal as it goes through each pedal.
If you want free, get hammerhead virtual drum machine software.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
boss rc-2 has drums too. With the 20 you can actually speed up your loops in case you did them too slow without changing pitch. its also a bit easier to use.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'