ok so i bought my guitar about a month ago. i have been borrowing friends guitars and amps for almost a year. i have enough money saved up to by an amp. i have been to guitar center over 10 times to test out different amps in my price range. i really like to vox ad50vt. i have read many mixed reviews on it and was just wondering if anybody on UG has had any experience, be it good or bad, with vox. i am not looking to get flamed here for saying that i like vox. if your going to do so than i would like you to have some experience with the amp, not just playing it once or twice so if you have no experience please keep your mouth shut. experienced feedback is appriciated. thanks guys
Im not a pro, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night
I own it, like it and recommend it to basically everone. Some people don't like it too much though, because it's a solid state amp(although unlike most hybrid amps, the tube is in the POWER stage of amplification, which does make a difference). It's the best modeler for the price.
Quote by imgooley
I own it, like it and recommend it to basically everone. Some people don't like it too much though, because it's a solid state amp(although unlike most hybrid amps, the tube is in the POWER stage of amplification, which does make a difference). It's the best modeler for the price.

Actually, the tube is in the pre-amp and doesn't do a whole lot. If it were in the poweramp the tube sound would be much more prominent. However, I do think it's the best modeling amp for cleans and mid-gain.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Its a very nice amp, but judging by your System avatar, a Roland Cube might also be worth a look for you
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by stradivari310
Actually, the tube is in the pre-amp and doesn't do a whole lot. If it were in the poweramp the tube sound would be much more prominent. However, I do think it's the best modeling amp for cleans and mid-gain.

THE TUBE IS IN THE FREAKING POWER CIRCUIT IN ALL OF THE VALVETRONIX SERIES AMPS!!!!

It says so on the website, and the user manual. There is even a thread in GGA saying that different tones can be gained by switching the tube.
Quote by imgooley

It says so on the website, and the user manual. There is even a thread in GGA saying that different tones can be gained by switching the tube.

IMO, none of that proves it's in the power amp section.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
^Checked the website.. I stand corrected.

Just out of curiosity, can you get poweramp distortion on yours?

EDIT: Wait, no I don't. Upon further inspection I read that the amp uses 12AX7 tubes, which are pre-amp tubes ONLY.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by stradivari310 at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by stradivari310

I've read that you can get better tones by cranking it at least - that would suggest that the tube is indeed in the poweramp.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Yes, actually I can. I turn the attenuator down and crank the master, gain and channel volumes to do it. You can also crank the master and roll back the channel volume, but you get better tone when you roll back the attenuator. I get some nice moderate breakup on the Black 2x12 channel.
Quote by Fama
IMO, none of that proves it's in the power amp section.

The fact that it says it's in the power circuit on the website, in the user's manual, and there is power amp breakup? Or should I open the back of my amp and take pictures just to prove you wrong?

Too much work for something I know to be fact.
Actually I found this with some further reading...

Quote by Vox Website

WHAT A DIGITAL MODELLING AMP
SHOULD BE
In the Valve Reactor power amplifier, a 12AX7 dual-triode valve (12AX7s are typically used as preamp valves) is connected directly to an output transformer. Our amp designers had to develop a way to raise the output level to one which could actually drive speakers to stage volume levels while maintaining the integrity of the valve-amp sound and feel. We accomplished this by creating a circuit of proprietary design dubbed the VOX VariAmp Power Circuit. The output transformer is connected to this new VariAmp Power Circuit which uses Constant Current design and Reactive Feedback technology.

The VariAmp Power Circuit cannot be overdriven, is totally transparent and can be configured to be 1, 15, 30 or 60 Watts. The VariAmp Power Circuit does not color or change the signal in any way and the resulting output tone is pure. It also ensures that the output signal maintains the high dynamic range associated with traditional valve amps- something most solid-state amplifiers simply cannot deliver, and one of the primary reasons why valve guitar amps normally sound and feel so much louder and more alive than solid-state amps boasting the same output power rating.

The Reactive Feedback technology used in the VariAmp Circuit "reads" the impedance curve of the speaker and then reports this reactive information back to the secondary side of the output transformer. This information is fed back to the primary side of the output transformer and therefore changes the loading on the valves, another important part of the vital role an all-valve power amp plays in the creation of traditional valve tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Vox Website
WHAT A DIGITAL MODELLING AMP
SHOULD BE
In the Valve Reactor power amplifier, a 12AX7 dual-triode valve (12AX7s are typically used as preamp valves) is connected directly to an output transformer. Our amp designers had to develop a way to raise the output level to one which could actually drive speakers to stage volume levels while maintaining the integrity of the valve-amp sound and feel. We accomplished this by creating a circuit of proprietary design dubbed the VOX VariAmp Power Circuit. The output transformer is connected to this new VariAmp Power Circuit which uses Constant Current design and Reactive Feedback technology.

The VariAmp Power Circuit cannot be overdriven, is totally transparent and can be configured to be 1, 15, 30 or 60 Watts. The VariAmp Power Circuit does not color or change the signal in any way and the resulting output tone is pure. It also ensures that the output signal maintains the high dynamic range associated with traditional valve amps- something most solid-state amplifiers simply cannot deliver, and one of the primary reasons why valve guitar amps normally sound and feel so much louder and more alive than solid-state amps boasting the same output power rating.

The Reactive Feedback technology used in the VariAmp Circuit "reads" the impedance curve of the speaker and then reports this reactive information back to the secondary side of the output transformer. This information is fed back to the primary side of the output transformer and therefore changes the loading on the valves, another important part of the vital role an all-valve power amp plays in the creation of traditional valve tone

EDIT: http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533531&highlight=valvetronix

Read this and get back to me.
Read closer.
Last edited by imgooley at Apr 22, 2008,
Well I don't have the 50, but do have the 100w head. I'm sure the sound is similar, if not the same. IMHO, the Vox is simply a steal! Great sounding unit (if not the best) within it's price range. Heck the effects and models would normally cost about the same as this entire amp. Unfortunately, the "chrome" vox units are known to have some reliablity issues. Supposedly they (VOX) have improved QC, but there are still an unacceptable number of complaints since they started manufacturing in Vietnam.

All in all, the VOX is a heck of a bargain.
You sum it up about the tube: It's injected with enough voltage to make it glue and to say you have a tube in it.
Yes, but the thread talks about replacing preamp tubes. A 12AX7 is a preamp tube, regardless of where it is in the circuit. Based on that argument, it is perfectly legitimate to say that one can replace the preamp tube in a VT amp, because that's what it is: a preamp tube.

The VT amps DO use it in the poweramp circut, but the sound is improved, not amplified, by the tubes. The signal simply passes through the 12AX7's which are between the modeling preamp and the actual poweramp, and in that sense the function is more closely related to a true tube preamp as opposed to a poweramp. In short: the tubes exist to color the tone, and that's it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by stradivari310 at Apr 22, 2008,
^read the whole thread that I linked
Yeah that's basically what I was trying to say before... the tube is in the signal path and functions analogously to a power amp, but does not actually amplify the signal. So it's:

Amp modeling preamp -> tube -> SS poweramp -> speaker

No?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310

Amp modeling preamp -> tube -> SS poweramp -> speaker

No?

Yes. Sorry, I thought you were still trying to make the point it wasn't in the power circuit.

The valvetronix isn't like most other hybrids though(i.e. the avt valvestate series by marshall). The tube does color the sound a bit, especially in the medium gain settings and the last 3 high gain settings. I mainly use the black 2x12 and the AC30 channels and they sound great. I do run a couple pedals in front of it, though, for a bit more dirt.

All in all, the valvetronix is the best modeler for the price. Versatility wise and quality of tone wise. I would personally take it over similarly priced tube amps(like the V series by crate) because of the built in effects.
Very true.

And sorry for the thread hijack TS.. you should definitely consider the AD50VT. But what styles do you play?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by suzukisally
ok so i bought my guitar about a month ago. i have been borrowing friends guitars and amps for almost a year. i have enough money saved up to by an amp. i have been to guitar center over 10 times to test out different amps in my price range. i really like to vox ad50vt. i have read many mixed reviews on it and was just wondering if anybody on UG has had any experience, be it good or bad, with vox. i am not looking to get flamed here for saying that i like vox. if your going to do so than i would like you to have some experience with the amp, not just playing it once or twice so if you have no experience please keep your mouth shut. experienced feedback is appriciated. thanks guys

Styles and budget, please, suzukisally.

The AD50VT isn't a bad amp, but it's possible a small all tube combo, a Roland Cube 60, or a Peavey Bandit might be better for you. I had an AD30VT which I really liked at first, but then it went really stale on me.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by stradivari310

EDIT: Wait, no I don't. Upon further inspection I read that the amp uses 12AX7 tubes, which are pre-amp tubes ONLY.

just because its a 12AX7 doesn't mean it has to go in the preamp. tubes are tubes. It is in the power section. the pre-amp is entirely digital. it acts as a low-voltage "mini-power-amp", which then is amplified by a solid state main power amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by slatsmania
Styles and budget, please, suzukisally.

The AD50VT isn't a bad amp, but it's possible a small all tube combo, a Roland Cube 60, or a Peavey Bandit might be better for you. I had an AD30VT which I really liked at first, but then it went really stale on me.

well as far as style, i would say i am into alot of things. i like a good clean sound when i am fingerpicking and i also like to play some blues. but some days i come home and all i want to do is play some heavier rock and everyonce in a while some metal. i know im not going to get an amp that does all that, especialy with my price range. i have just been impressed with the vox. as far as my budget goes i am looking in the neighbor hood of $500, maybe more if the tone is right.
Im not a pro, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night
I'd definitely suggest you look into a small tube amp. Maybe a Crate V18 or something. Only 15W, but probably about as loud as the AD50VT when cranked, only with better tone at those volumes. If you're willing to buy used, you should easily be able to find a Peavey Classic 30 for under $400. Leaving you plenty of money for a nice OD/distortion to get you your heavier tones.

You'll love real tube tone for your finger picking, blues, and even hard rock. And you'll love pushing the amp with a pedal to get into metal territory, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The tube is in between the preamp and the power amp. The power section is solid-state. The tube works as a pseudo power amp which is then run into the real power amp. The tube itself puts out about 1 watt.
Well, apart from all the ranting bout where the tube is supposedly located, I can recommend a Vox ADxxVT series to anyone.
One of the best modeling amps I own, and much better than anything I've heard from Line6 in a long time (though their new tube thingie sounds very interesting).
I still use it as a practice amp, and I wouldn't change it for the world.
Quote by Blompcube
just because its a 12AX7 doesn't mean it has to go in the preamp. tubes are tubes. It is in the power section. the pre-amp is entirely digital. it acts as a low-voltage "mini-power-amp", which then is amplified by a solid state main power amp.

+1

You'll find 12ax7's in the power sections of most push-pull amps (used differently than in these Vox's).
Im using a 15 watt valvetronix right now. Its a great amp, and you can get some really nice tones out of it. It also has good cabinet emulation on the line out port if you want to record it DI or use headphones, which is very helpful.

One thing I would say though is that the low end is very muddy sounding, to the point where I often have to turn the bass all the way down.
My stuff:
Fender Tele 60's Reissue
Schecter Blackhawk
Vintage V300 acoustic
Yamaha RB170 Bass

Peavey Classic 30 amp

Boss SD-1, DOD Grunge, Guyatone PS-010 Compressor, Marshall SV-1, Vox V847, Zoom G2, Line6 Echo Park
Quote by nezv6
Im using a 15 watt valvetronix right now. Its a great amp, and you can get some really nice tones out of it. It also has good cabinet emulation on the line out port if you want to record it DI or use headphones, which is very helpful.

One thing I would say though is that the low end is very muddy sounding, to the point where I often have to turn the bass all the way down.

something i agree with too. well the line out skips the poweramp section (i.e. the 12AX7 too - another reason why we should know that the 12AX7 is in the power section), so it sounds a bit less tubey and more digital. Also yes, i have the AD50VT and the bass response is really overkill on some amp models. its also kinda flubby at times...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Roc8995
The tube is in between the preamp and the power amp. The power section is solid-state. The tube works as a pseudo power amp which is then run into the real power amp. The tube itself puts out about 1 watt.

So is the tube there more to add vibrancy to the tone (kill the digital sound) alone which happens at all volume levels, or is it there to be driven hard for more natural distortion. (like the manal seems to imply every other page)? Also, to put things into context for a newbie, how significant is the 1 watt tube?

I have the 15 and have debated about swapping out while I can for the 30 to have the attenuator to crank at lower volumes.
Last edited by Eddie NYC at Apr 23, 2008,
Quote by Eddie NYC
So is the tube there more to add vibrancy to the tone (kill the digital sound) alone which happens at all volume levels, or is it there to be driven hard for more natural distortion. (like the manal seems to imply every other page)?

I'm guessing both.
Quote by Lunchbox362
You can't kill the digital sound very well with smaller tubes like that (with power tubes, yes.) The tube doesn't seem to do a whole lot, it sounds more or less like a digital amp with a little extra warmth. It probably does introduce some distortion, but it's not much I would think since there's no way to regulate it.
Quote by Roc8995
It probably does introduce some distortion, but it's not much I would think since there's no way to regulate it.

Isn't that the whole raise the volume and/or lower the wattage on the attenuator thing that a lot of people seem to buy the 30 over the 15 for?