On my mexi strat the wilkinson 2 point tremelo made the most difference. Even more so then the Lindy Fralin blues specials. And those were put in with all new electronics bass plate and blender pot. I was surprised the bridge made that much difference.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
It's not my main guitar but I changed pickups to EMG. It really made my guitar come alive. I feel it's the best way to improve a guitar's tone.
Pickups. After that, it was the trem - I got one of the old "low end" Ibanez trems. Now I don't have to cut and clip my strings before I throw them into the trem. I love it - cause that's such a pain in the ass.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Hardware for me. It totally changes the actual feel of a guitar. Pickups make a difference too, but the hardware is what does it for me when I upgrade something.
neck an pups
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Definitely my new Seymour Duncan SH4 JB (Jeff Beck) Humucker vs the stock HB. I never hardly played thru that stock pickup because it sounded like crap but this new HB made a huge difference for me. I think the stock single coils actually sound pretty good and i cannot detect any hiss or hum so i'm good for awhile
;
I put emg's in a heritage sunburst epi LP. Stood out a whole load because I couldn't get ahold of white ones.
It sorta looks better now because I changed most of the switches and the scratchplate to black.
On both my ESP/LTDs, EMG pickups. Went from eh, to extraordinary.

Then, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, I discovered 18Vs and fell in love all over again.

Other than that, I find that just taking the time to do incremental adjustments to your guitar can be most rewarding. It took me 6 years to get the setup of my Horizon just right, but my god does that guitar both play and sound amazing now.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Probably just a general all-round polish and set-up. Just taking care of your guitar and keeping it in shape and perfect playing order will make more difference than any other upgrade. Having your guitar properly set-up and maintained is a better use of your money than new tuners or pickups.
Before I got my new pickups (which obviously made a massive difference) I was surprised at how much of a difference my graphite string saddles made, before I'd snap a string at least once a week and since I swapped them out months ago I've never snapped a single string (I change them about once a month) and they made an incredibly tiny positive effect on my tone too, everything sounds just a little bit warmer I'd say.
Bridge pickpup change.

Put a SD Li'l 59 in the bridge of a telecaster copy I have. It's like a whole new guitar, and at the same time, I can still get that "tele twang" from it.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
i put texas special pups on my strat, that made an amazing difference. changing up a string gauge from 9's to 10's also made a big difference.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
18V mod to my EMG's. Quick, easy and worth it.
Quote by thedude051
bubbaearl...Man that is...THE SICKEST NAME EVER!!!

Quote by Stress Cow
bubbaearl... apparently it's the sickest name ever

Are you over 30?
Probably not, but if you are, click HERE.
Hmm, I have to choose between the TOM to Floyd conversion on one of my guitars, or the addition of a roller nut, locking tuners and a tremsetter on another one....

I'll go with the latter. Even though the other one was a much more extreme change, the latter surprised me in ways I had not thought possible. I didn't expect my guitar to improve this drastically.
Thanks for the input.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic