I used the search bar and found loads of tight budget threads and then a few open budget, so forget the "use teh search bar" line.

I'm looking for an amp that can get metal tones and doesn't need to be versatile, it just needs to be under $2000.

I have been looking at the ENGL Fireball and Powerball, Mesa Boogie Mark IV, and the Peavey 6505, but I don't know much when it comes from distinct features between them all. I would like the amp to be under 100w, but if the amp is significantly better, I can always get an attenuator.

I am mainly a rhythm player, and I play stuff like Megadeth, CoB, In Flames, Killswitch: Engage, Lamb of God, and Metallica. So I need an amp that can do death metal, but can still get that clarity to do thrash.

Also, I'm looking at Avatar and Vader cabs. I'm not a big fan of eminence speakers so I'm kinda leaning towards an Avatar 2x12. I know the V30's are a standard per say for metal, but I was just wondering if there are other options?

My gear is in my sig, so if you have questions about that, look there.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Apr 22, 2008,
Wow.... so many different bands...

Megadeth and CoB use Marshall, In Flames uses 5150s, KSE uses Splawn and Framus, Lamb of God and Metallica have both used Boogie....

I guess thats kind of up to you really. Splawn sounds incredible if you like the Marshall tone but want less fizziness..... IMHO CoB's rhythm tone sucks..... In Flames is incredible all around, and LoGs tone is unbeatable..... You could get a used Mark IV for that price....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Wow.... so many different bands...

Megadeth and CoB use Marshall, In Flames uses 5150s, KSE uses Splawn and Framus, Lamb of God and Metallica have both used Boogie....

I guess thats kind of up to you really. Splawn sounds incredible if you like the Marshall tone but want less fizziness..... IMHO CoB's rhythm tone sucks..... In Flames is incredible all around, and LoGs tone is unbeatable..... You could get a used Mark IV for that price....

Can I get a Splawn for under $2000? The Engl's and the Mark IV have been the amps that have stood out to me. Chris Broderick just joined Megadeth and he uses a Powerball.

Between the Powerball and Fireball, is there much difference other than versatility and wattage?

My main problem is that it's a 12 hour drive to the closest retailer of any amps outside the Marshall, Vox, and Fender lines, so I can't try anything out.
Era of music I guess would be the best way to describe it. The powerball is supposedly the end all of high gain from england, but still.... I personally feel that Mesa kills all for American voiced high gain amps, but Splawn owns in the British metal tone area.
Splawn Nitro or Mesa Mark IV.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Splawn Nitro or Mesa Mark IV.

I like the sound clips of the Nitro, but is there any where you can get them in Canada?

Can anyone answer the question on the Engl's? How are the Powerball and Fireball different other than versatility (number of channels) and wattage?

Also, can anyone answer the Cab question from the first post?
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I like the sound clips of the Nitro, but is there any where you can get them in Canada?

Can anyone answer the question on the Engl's? How are the Powerball and Fireball different other than versatility (number of channels) and wattage?

Also, can anyone answer the Cab question from the first post?

I answered the ENGL question in my post....

V30's are good, but there are better speakers out there for half the price.... honestly.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I answered the ENGL question in my post....

V30's are good, but there are better speakers out there for half the price.... honestly.

You said that the powerball is the end all for high gain from England, you didn't say anything about the Fireball, and I'm more inclined to look at the Fireball due to its lower wattage and pricetag.
ENGL is German, just a fyi.

fireball has great OD, and good cleans, not much inbetween. The Powerball is more versatile, more features for the extra loot.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
ENGL is German, just a fyi.

fireball has great OD, and good cleans, not much inbetween. The Powerball is more versatile, more features for the extra loot.

In my defense, I was quoting a previous poster on the British tone thing.

If the Powerball just has the extra features, I think I'll be looking more at the Fireball.

It doesn't look like there is a Splawn dealer in Canada, so that option is kinda out.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
In my defense, I was quoting a previous poster on the British tone thing.

If the Powerball just has the extra features, I think I'll be looking more at the Fireball.

It doesn't look like there is a Splawn dealer in Canada, so that option is kinda out.

If you really want a Splawn, dealers will ship to Canada. Contact Josh Sage at Rebel Amps, http://www.rebelamps.com/index.htm, he's listed in the "Contact" section. He ships worldwide with UPS, and he's a great guy to deal with.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
If you really want a Splawn, dealers will ship to Canada. Contact Josh Sage at Rebel Amps, http://www.rebelamps.com/index.htm, he's listed in the "Contact" section. He ships worldwide with UPS, and he's a great guy to deal with.

Yeah, I know can ship them, but customs fees and taxes sky rocket when you spend a lot of money outside of the country.
I wonder if it would qualify under NAFTA, since it's completely handbuilt in the US.
amp clips
amp vids
Personally ive never tried vaders
but ive heard a ton of the bands that use them
and they are sick
exeremely druable too.
im looking at getting a 2x12 vader myself
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Erock503
I wonder if it would qualify under NAFTA, since it's completely handbuilt in the US.

LOL, not to sound like a national elitist, but NAFTA only goes one way normally (When things get shipped to the States). If it would come into affect, that would be UBER sweet though.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
LOL, not to sound like a national elitist, but NAFTA only goes one way normally. If it would come into affect, that would be UBER sweet though.

That is ok, NAFTA sucks anyway. All it enables us to do is trade low quality **** with china. I got a better idea if you REALLY want a Splawn, if you know someone in the US, have them buy it and send it to Canada as a gift. I think that allows you to not pay customs on it.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
That is ok, NAFTA sucks anyway. All it enables us to do is trade low quality **** with china. I got a better idea if you REALLY want a Splawn, if you know someone in the US, have them buy it and send it to Canada as a gift. I think that allows you to not pay customs on it.

Yeah, I have relatives in the US that would do it for me, I might just do that...

So is the Splawn a significant amount better than the Fireball to warrant the extra $700 price tag?

Cause that $700 could get me a nice cab, a new speaker and tubes for my V16, and gas money.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Yeah, I have relatives in the US that would do it for me, I might just do that...

So is the Splawn a significant amount better than the Fireball to warrant the extra $700 price tag?

Cause that $700 could get me a nice cab, a new speaker and tubes for my V16, and gas money.

I have no experinece with either to answer that question. Wait for Erock to come back and save the day!
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I have no experinece with either to answer that question. Wait for Erock to come back and save the day!

alright, and thank you.

The only things I can see different physically is the number of channels, and the half power switch on the Splawn. The Fireball is already at 60watts, so it doesn't really need the half power switch, and I'm happy with only 2 channels. So if those are the things that warrant the extra money (and it being American built adds too) then I just might go ENGL..but, I dont' know still.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
alright, and thank you.

The only things I can see different physically is the number of channels, and the half power switch on the Splawn. The Fireball is already at 60watts, so it doesn't really need the half power switch, and I'm happy with only 2 channels. So if those are the things that warrant the extra money (and it being American built adds too) then I just might go ENGL..but, I dont' know still.

that's all preference man, their voicing is nothing alike. Just comes down to which you prefer. The Splawn is lot more money, because it's a handmade boutique amp. It's actually a lot of amp for the money compared to others in the pricerange. Everything is chassis mounted, everything from the caps to the transformers are high quality name brand parts, flying leads, and all hand wired. Not saying the ENGL are bad, but you can't really compare custom made boutique amps to production amps as far as build quality.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
that's all preference man, their voicing is nothing alike. Just comes down to which you prefer. The Splawn is lot more money, because it's a handmade boutique amp. It's actually a lot of amp for the money compared to others in the pricerange. Everything is chassis mounted, everything from the caps to the transformers are high quality name brand parts, flying leads, and all hand wired. Not saying the ENGL are bad, but you can't really compare custom made boutique amps to production amps as far as build quality.

Aight, so personal preference it is....which means I have to base my decision on sound clips. woot.

Erock, are those your sound clips on Splawn's website?
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Aight, so personal preference it is....which means I have to base my decision on sound clips. woot.

Erock, are those your sound clips on Splawn's website?

yeah, Scott likes to put up clips from his customers, he thinks it gives people a good idea of the sound, as opposed to hearing something that's had production on it. He's a really nice guy to deal with, and really takes pride in his amps. Another resource for user clips is http://www.netmusicians.org/ , lots of great amp clips on there.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, Scott likes to put up clips from his customers, he thinks it gives people a good idea of the sound, as opposed to hearing something that's had production on it. He's a really nice guy to deal with, and really takes pride in his amps. Another resource for user clips is http://www.netmusicians.org/ , lots of great amp clips on there.

Your clip of the Nitro is sweet, and thanks for the other link.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Your clip of the Nitro is sweet, and thanks for the other link.

thanks man, no problem.

Quote by FLCLcowdude
That is ok, NAFTA sucks anyway. All it enables us to do is trade low quality **** with china.

hehe, dude, North American Free Trade Agreement.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Apr 22, 2008,
I've always been partial to the ENGL Fireball/Powerball range (Powerball>Fireball, though), the 5150 series and the Laney GH50/GH100/VH100R.
In essence, they have the same drive channel, but the VH100R has like...4 Channels I think, compared to the GH's 1 channel with a drive boost.
They have **** loads of gain, nice cleans, great crunch and (in MY opinion) are one of the best amps you can get for the money. Just don't buy the cheaper Laney cabs...
Spend the extra money on a cab with some bass-heavy speakers. It's a fairly bright head, but it pulls metal tones without a boost no problems.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
I've always been partial to the ENGL Fireball/Powerball range (Powerball>Fireball, though), the 5150 series and the Laney GH50/GH100/VH100R.
In essence, they have the same drive channel, but the VH100R has like...4 Channels I think, compared to the GH's 1 channel with a drive boost.
They have **** loads of gain, nice cleans, great crunch and (in MY opinion) are one of the best amps you can get for the money. Just don't buy the cheaper Laney cabs...
Spend the extra money on a cab with some bass-heavy speakers. It's a fairly bright head, but it pulls metal tones without a boost no problems.

-Jayke

Thanks for your input.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Fireball because of it's simplicity and price tag. For a Cab, I'm thinking a Avatar 2x12 with V30's.
Mesa Mark IV + Recto Cab, or a Mesa Roadster *used of course!) + Recto cab would be my choices, but the heads are kinda expensive, so you want a cheaper cab, right? Mesa 2x12 or Earcandy Buzzbomb (with Green Machines they sound really killer, and a pretty feature loaded one with the Green Machines runs like 580 new, and it's 250 watts i believe with two speakers).

Of course (and I hate doing a constant plug), I listen to and play music from all those bands you listed and I have a Mesa DC-5, and it does the job pretty well. Although I haven't gone down to C standard and Drop A# for In Flames, it can do all those other sounds pretty friggin well. Although looking at your sig, I highly suggest getting better pickups in addition to the amp (get those Breeds FAST!) because the amp really shows it's true colors with GOOD pickups. My crappy god-knows-what pickups in my shecter sound good, but when I played the amp with a Schecter C-1 Classic and Duncans, it sounded a TON better.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Mesa Mark IV + Recto Cab, or a Mesa Roadster *used of course!) + Recto cab would be my choices, but the heads are kinda expensive, so you want a cheaper cab, right? Mesa 2x12 or Earcandy Buzzbomb (with Green Machines they sound really killer, and a pretty feature loaded one with the Green Machines runs like 580 new, and it's 250 watts i believe with two speakers).

Of course (and I hate doing a constant plug), I listen to and play music from all those bands you listed and I have a Mesa DC-5, and it does the job pretty well. Although I haven't gone down to C standard and Drop A# for In Flames, it can do all those other sounds pretty friggin well. Although looking at your sig, I highly suggest getting better pickups in addition to the amp (get those Breeds FAST!) because the amp really shows it's true colors with GOOD pickups. My crappy god-knows-what pickups in my shecter sound good, but when I played the amp with a Schecter C-1 Classic and Duncans, it sounded a TON better.

Breeds are going in this week hopefully. I still have to finish saving up for the amp, so another month or 2.