Are there actually tone differences between the two ?
Or is it just the p-u's and the binding?
I just think it's worth paying the extra for the gibson, it's just better made and sounds and looks much better. If you buy the Standard then go for it no doubt
You're paying half the price, you're getting half the quality. The Studio/Special/Faded/VM/etc models don't get to be so cheap just because they skimp on binding or pickups. Every single element of them is far, far inferior to the Standard series.

It's called 'Standard' for a reason. It's the mid-range, the average, the base point you should aim for. If you go below a Standard, you're wasting money.
I disagree with the "waste of money" comment.

I've found that while standards are the nicer guitar (theres no doubt about that from the ones I've played) the studio is still a great guitar for its cost.

I know there are lots of epiphone lovers on here, so don't take this personally its just an opinion- I've found the studios I've played a halfway house between a top end epi and an LP standard, so therefore I think they are worth the money.

EDIT> As for the tone I honestly couldnt comment as I've never played them back to back. I never found the studio to be "bright" though, like I expected- it still had a nice rich les paul tone to me, but I'm no expert.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Last edited by Dan_Q at Apr 22, 2008,
High end Epi? Not really. A Studio is about on-par with a mid-range Epi (and the price reflects this), a high-end Epi easily beats out any production Gibson. I've played Epi Elitist models directly against Gibson production and Custom Shop models (hell, I own multiples of all three), and the Elitist is certainly better than the Gibson production models. Granted, the Gibson Custom Shop beats the **** out of the Elitist, but saying a Gibson Studio - a low-end production Gibson - is as good as an Elitist - a high-end Epi - is stupid.

As for wasting money, I see it simply like this: a Gibson Studio is the quality of an Epi Standard, but costs an extra £200 because it's got Gibson on the headstock and the stock pickups are vaguely better (though I argue the stock pickups on all Gibson production models and all Epiphones are always utter **** anyway). To me, that's wasting money. If you buy an Epi Standard, you could sue that £200 to buy new pickups, and hey-presto, you've got a guitar that's better in quality than a Gibson Studio, only you have to put up with the inferior, less respected name on the headstock.

I'm sure you can see therefore, how a Studio is a waste of money.

The exception is early and mid-90's Gibson Studio's. Those really were just Standards minus the binding and inlays, and those were great instruments, well worth the price. The thing is, Gibson built up the good reputation of the Studio with that, then began cutting corners of them around '98 or so, and the Studio's quality has gone downhill ever since even though people still hear of it's originally very good reputation.

Basically now, the new Studios (and Specials, Fadeds, Vintage Mahoganys and so on) are just... pointless. For much less money you can get the same instrument, for the same money you can get a much better instrument, and for not much more money you can get a far superior instrument. It's almost entirely because of models like the Studio that Gibson have earnt that 'you're just paying for the name' reputation, because with Studios, that's exactly what you're doing.

For the record, I do in fact own more Gibsons than Epiphones, including a couple of Studio models myself, ironically. So no, I'm not just some 'disgruntled fanboy'.
Quote by bokuho
High end Epi? Not really. A Studio is about on-par with a mid-range Epi (and the price reflects this), a high-end Epi easily beats out any production Gibson. I've played Epi Elitist models directly against Gibson production and Custom Shop models (hell, I own multiples of all three), and the Elitist is certainly better than the Gibson production models. Granted, the Gibson Custom Shop beats the **** out of the Elitist, but saying a Gibson Studio - a low-end production Gibson - is as good as an Elitist - a high-end Epi - is stupid.

As for wasting money, I see it simply like this: a Gibson Studio is the quality of an Epi Standard, but costs an extra £200 because it's got Gibson on the headstock and the stock pickups are vaguely better (though I argue the stock pickups on all Gibson production models and all Epiphones are always utter **** anyway). To me, that's wasting money. If you buy an Epi Standard, you could sue that £200 to buy new pickups, and hey-presto, you've got a guitar that's better in quality than a Gibson Studio, only you have to put up with the inferior, less respected name on the headstock.

The exception is early and mid-90's Gibson Studio's. Those really were just Standards minus the binding and inlays, and those were great instruments, well worth the price. The thing is, Gibson built up the good reputation of the Studio with that, then began cutting corners of them around '98 or so, and the Studio's quality has gone downhill ever since even though people still hear of it's originally very good reputation.

Basically now, the new Studios (and Specials, Fadeds, Vintage Mahoganys and so on) are just... pointless. For much less money you can get the same instrument, for the same money you can get a much better instrument, and for not much more money you can get a far superior instrument. It's almost entirely because of models like the Studio that Gibson have earnt that 'you're just paying for the name' reputation, because with Studios, that's exactly what you're doing.

For the record, I do in fact own more Gibsons than Epiphones, including a couple of Studio models myself, ironically. So no, I'm not just some 'disgruntled fanboy'.

thats awesum but should i get the lp when i allready have a SG?
why not buy the Studio and put the pickups from a Standard into them? I'm sure the Standard is a great guitar but plenty of folks can't afford one, It's real expensive in my opinion. For the money, isn't my idea a descent one. I figure the Studio's a 1000 bucks less, you go on ebay get the Standard pickups for $200 and you have a sweet guitar for maybe 1100 dollars total. I've played a regular Studio and liked it. You have to do alot to convince me that big part (not all of it thoug) of the price difference between a Studio and Standard isn't just markup
Don't listen to some of these dimwits. I've played wonderful Studios and if you can find a good Vintage Mahogany model which is selling for almost nothing these days, they are real tone machines and great value. Try and find the Gem series from the 90s - basically a Studio with P-90 pickups. They are higly sought after at the moment and their value will only increase.
eat sleep play guitar
Honestly I've never played a Studio that I've thought to be worth the money. That being said, I've never played a Standard I've thought to be worth the money .
TS, go and try out as many guitars as possible. Ignore what it says on the headstock. See which one is right for you. If you're going to spend several thousand dollars on a guitar it may as well be the perfect one for you.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by bokuho

right- I'll take that on board, and consider myself educated- as i've been out of this game for a long time- the last time I played an LP studio was in the mid 90's (96/97 at the latest) and I honestly didnt realise that things had changed so much since then.

also sounds like epiphones have come on too- I always liked them but always preferred a gibson, no matter what type- I even borrowed a 1980 "the paul" for a week and it played like butter compared to any epi I've played in the past.

I'm worried now, as I have on order a les paul studio, although it is a 1997 model. I just hope its OK
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by bokuho

lol...i was looking to bust you if you didn't mention that bit
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by Horlicks
I just think it's worth paying the extra for the gibson, it's just better made and sounds and looks much better. If you buy the Standard then go for it no doubt

They're both made by Gibson genius.
High as tits