so im part way into my first build before i make the neck pocket on the body on my guitar and rout it i have a couple of questions.

1) what angle does the neck have the join the body as im using a t-o-m?

2) is it ok to have any headstock?

3) does the 12 fret have to be half way between the nut and the tail peice or the bridge?

i think thats all if you have any other advice feel free to give it please,
thanks for your time
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
1) I do not know, sorry.

2) Yes, any headstock shape that physically works should be fine.

3) Yes, on all guitars, the 12th fret must be halfway between the NUT and the SADDLES, or else your intonation is really messed up. (I'm pretty sure lol).
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
1) Could be anything from 2 to 5 degrees, depending on where the neck joins the body. You'd have to draw it out to scale to get it right.

2) Any headstock you can dream up.

3) Thats not something you need to worry about, the 12th fret will fall into place depending on the scale length.
Actually no... if your neck is not mounted properly the 12th fret could be totally wrong.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
argh, so does it matter how far into the body i put the neck then as well?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yes. Mount your bridge, mount your nut, and measure from the saddles the the 12 fret, and the nut to the 12th fret. That will determine where the neck needs to be.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Last edited by Øttər at Apr 22, 2008,
ahh thanks alot, ill start routing this week end
Quote by Deliriumbassist
awesome. Hey get some pics up dude, I love build threads.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
1) Worry about it once you are done with the finish and are ready to paint it (ask again on the forums or pm me and i can explain it)

2) Anything goes bro

3) Depending on the neck you bought or want, the scale play a huge role. The 12th fret needs to lie at exactly the half of the scale length. For example, if your scale was 25", the 12th fret needs to be 12.5" from the bridge, NOT THE TAILPIECE because the strings pass over the bridge.

Once again, measure from the point at which the strings pass over the bridge to the 12th fret. If you are really really stuck, let me know (PM me).
^+1. Also, you should measure to where the high E passes over the bridge, since the saddles for the bassier strings are generally gonna be pushed further back to intonate well.
Much easier to mount the neck then figure out exact position of your bridge. Stewmac has a scale calculator to help position the bridge.