I am a classical guitarist with a major problem. Any time I try to make a barre chord, I get an INCREDIBLE amount of tension in my left hand and wrist, even when I'm completely 100% relaxed. This prevents me from playing ANY barre chord without causing myself an enormous amount of pain. Like, seriously tear-inducing pain. Like "somebody hit me in the hand with a lead pipe" pain. What's worse is after the barre the tension is so intense in my left hand that I cannot even form simple 2-finger chords without difficulty. Even now I cannot type well since I just played a barre piece. My left hand fingers currently feel like they have about as much dexterity as my toes. Basically, if a barre comes up in a piece I am screwed and cannot ever play that piece perfectly even after weeks and weeks of practicing it. How do I resolve this problem? I want to be able to just make barre chords without feeling pain.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is wrong or abnormal. Take a break. Go see a doctor if it continues. The pain in your arm doesn't sound normal(assuming that you really are 100% relaxed). If you keep pushing on, you could potentially damage your arm permanently if there is actually something wrong with it.
maybe carpel tunnel or whatever it is. how long have you been playing for? you might just not be used to it but you sound like youre experienced seeing as you spelled barre right (unlike most people here who claim to be good at guitar) so you should get that check out.
Quote by alexjulia
maybe carpel tunnel or whatever it is. how long have you been playing for? you might just not be used to it but you sound like youre experienced seeing as you spelled barre right (unlike most people here who claim to be good at guitar) so you should get that check out.

bar cords!
i had the same problem but im a stubborn bitch and just kept playing them till it stopped hurting, no pain no gain... or something as lame as that.
have you just started using them? and if not has the pain just started lately or has it done it for a while?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by 100%guitarmad
you have AIDs

warned.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I think I got a problem like that before, when I was playing entire songs with barres. I found after playing for months and months though, practicing barre chords a lot, the grip in my wrist increased and the pain eventually went away. On the other side, i don't think my wrist was as bad as you desribed, and i've only been playing 4 years. I found building up strenght over time helps, but you don't want to do anything to seriously damage your left hand tendons
I've been playing for 4 years, but I've never had this problem on electric or even steel-string. Mostly on lower frets it's OK but past like the fifth fret the pain starts. Asking me to barre on the 9th position is like asking me to punch myself in the balls. I think it might be because I have very thin wrists. I can grab my wrist with my other hand and touch my pinky and thumb. I've got a few huge calluses on my index LH finger from barring but they don't seem to help, the pain isn't just a skin thing it's either caused by muscle stress or a pinched tendon or something. I don't think I have carpal tunnel because as I said I can barre all day on an electric guitar with no problem. I've played on nylons with lower actions before and it doesn't help. I think it has something to do with how their necks are thicker.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
I also have very thin wrists (I did the pinky thumb thing when you mentioned that, and I can do it pretty comfortably) and I've never had a problem to the extent you describe. The only pain I sometimes get is the muscle between my thumb and index finger but that's barely there now I've been practicing more.

And bear in mind I'm playing a cheapass Stagg ofd Amazon with ridiculous action.

My advice would be to see a doctor, I don't think it's a problem with technique as you have been playing for awhile.