Of the different tabs I've looked at of "Killing me softly" I can't seem to get it to sound right. It's either that or the tabs are wrong. I'm looking for the chords for playing "Killing me softly" by Roberta Flack/The Fugees. If it makes a difference it's the Roberta Flack version I'm after. After seeing Hugh Grant playing it in the movie "About a boy", I figured that I wanted to learn it, but none of the tabs seem to sound like how Grant played it in the movie. Call me a wannabe, whatever, but I wanna play it the same way.

I dunno if there's a rule saying that links arent allowed, but I suppose as long as it's related to the topic it should go. Here's the song part of "About a Boy": http://youtube.com/watch?v=zA0UJWs5AcM

Thanks.
Hi Zlash,

Let me know if you figured it out yourself or at any rate if your search is still relevant and I'll send you the chords I came up with. They pretty much correspond to what you see in the film (with one inversion of F and C, which I think Hugh Grant got wrong anyway - don't forget it's a film and the audio track is made afterwards in the studio) and what by the way can be googled. It's not the predominant "Em, Am, D sequence" btw.

J.

- - - -
Jan Capek
This one looks right to me:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/roberta_flack/killing_me_softly_crd.htm

We covered this tune for a company party several years ago and one of their hot secretaries sang the lead with us.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
This one looks right to me:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/roberta_flack/killing_me_softly_crd.htm

We covered this tune for a company party several years ago and one of their hot secretaries sang the lead with us.

---
While it might be right (along with many others), it was not used for the film.

- - - -
Jan Capek
Last edited by jancapekcz at Apr 28, 2014,
...and yes this version uses both D Major (D),
and D minor (Dm), in case you were wondering.
[font="Arial"][B]Killing Me Softly - Hugh Grant Version.[/B]

Am    (Asus2),  Am    (Asus2)

Am                            D
killing me softly with his song
                G              F
                C                         F
telling my whole life with his words.
               Bb
Killing me softly
             A
with his song.

Dm           G
I felt all flushed with fever
C                    F
embarrassed by the crowd.
Dm            G
I felt he found my letters
       Am
and read each one out loud.
Dm                 G
I prayed that he would finish
C                 E
but he just kept right on.

Am                                       Dm
Strumming my pain with his fingers
G                                   C
singing my life with his words
Am                     (C)   D
               G              F
                C                       F
telling my whole life with his words.
                Bb
Killing me softly
             A
with his song...[/FONT]
Yap, mine is almost identical to tonibet72's.

Notice that in the film he plays what appears to be G when he sings "embarrassed" and switches to C (or some specie of simplified F) when "by the crowd". Apart from Fs he also does not barre Bbs and I believe the sound is a very much a barred Bb, try it.

Where I differ with tonibet72 is on the E, where I play a two-finger E7 (just sounds better); I also strum D across all 6 strings with low E string pressed on a second fret; and some of the chords I switch a syllable later (based on a count of 4 downs and ups).

Which brings me to the strumming pattern. I am not absolutely sure what was used in the film, but it seems like DUDUDUDU, with Ups strumming only the two or so highest strings.

- - - -
Jan Capek
Last edited by jancapekcz at Apr 29, 2014,