Now need to replace machine heads- see last post.

Hi All,

I've just put together my first modified guitar, and all seems OK except I'm getting quite a bit of interfearance when the guitar is not being played but is plugged into the amp.

The guitar is a Sunn Mustang (early 90's chinese made under license strat) and I've fitted a fender bridge and a double fat strat loaded pick guard, with two "tex mex" humbuckers, 1 vol, 2 tone and a 3 way switch.

When the guitar is "buzzing" if I touch the jack plug plate (its a standard strat metal one) the buzz disappears.

I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds like an earth problem maybe?

All I had to do to wire in the loaded scratchplate was solder on the jackplug wires. One thing I havent tried is wiring the jack plug in the other way round, would that have that sort of effect?

Another thing I noticed, on the old wiring (3 single coils) there was an earth wire routed from one of the pots (volume I think) through to the back of the guitar, and it was soldered to the base plate of the trem system. Does my HH wiring need something like this?

Many thanks in advance

PS I have tried to search, but in all honesty I'm a bit of a cumputer numpty so please forgive me if I've missed anything
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Last edited by Dan_Q at May 19, 2008,
Yes, you need a ground (or earth, whatever you want to call it) wire going to your trem block (there is a little spot on the screw bracket for it). That will ensure that whenever you are touching the bridge or strings (always while you playing, probably) you will be the ground for the guitar. I think. Not sure how it works, all I know is that it does, indeed, work.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I would also put some of the Fender sheilding under the pickguard, and maybe some copper tape in the cavities. Both of those things should help with wiring/grounding problems.
did you ground your bridge? everything metal on your guitar that involves electricity and strings need to be in a completed ground circuit. touch your pots, output jack, pickups, bridge. if you touch something and it doesnt stop the buzz, you know its not in the ground circuit.
fight the power that be
Hi All,

Firstly- many thanks for the replies

So I need to earth my trem then- no problem. Would i route the wire like on the single coil pickguard- from the volume pot to the trem? Or would that do damage to the HH circuit?

As for Shielding, the pick guard itself is shielded:

but the cavity is not. It is a single rectangular routing (cheap manufacture I suppose) so what do i do, line the whole cavity with copper tape?

Guitarzan> good idea, thanks for that I will give it a try and report back

U-G nooB

errrrrm.........

I'd wired in my jack plug ass about face but at least it works now but I'm still an idiot!

there is still a small but hardly noticable amount of interference, well more than my standard strat anyway, so when the copper tape comes which I've ordered I will line the cavities and earth the trem, as i need to take my guitar apart again to fit some squier tuners. I'll probably put up a thread about that as I've never changed machine heads before.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone

U-G nooB

Hi All,

The time has come to upgrade my tuners from the sh!te it was fitted with as new.

The peg holes are currently 7.5ish mm, and I need to open them out to 10mm to accept the 80's US fender ones I have.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I'm ok with working with metal but with wood i'm a bit of a nOOb. I was hoping to find a 10mm counterbore bit with an 8mm pilot but can't get hold of one.

any ideas? just wanted to ask the question before I write off my neck........

U-G nooB

write off? Hell no buddy. Just use a round file... Mark out a 10mm circle on the peghead, and file until you reach it. Then smooth it a bit with some sandpaper on a thin dowel
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
sweet! sounds time consuming, but i'll have a go already have the kit to do that, so thanks!

now how about the location holes?

The old tuners were screwed in either side of the peg, the "new" ones have 2 locating dowels on one side. I was going to fill in the old holes, sand down then mark out for the new ones, and drill.

Is that how people tend to do it? if so, is there any sort of filler to avoid or will any wood filler do the job? sorry for these nOOb questions.....

U-G nooB