I got a crappy little Peavey Rage 158, and it was better than nothing, but now I'm looking for a new one. I don't have much to work with, and nothing to really trade, so I'm sorry for that ahead of time. I just need something good, good tone, reliability exc. I play anything.
how big are you looking and whats your budget?
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
ibanez thermion ... its a really cheap amp for what he delivers... and you can play everything from jazz to death metal
My budget is low, around $100 I'd say, and maybe flexible depending on the potential deal. I'd like a 50W or higher, if possible, because it will be used for gigging.
^ WRONG. The MG is a piece of **** that I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Edit: With a budget that low, you can't get anything that would be half decent for gigging. If you just want good tone, save up a bit more for an epi valve junior.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by fob12
My budget is low, around $100 I'd say, and maybe flexible depending on the potential deal. I'd like a 50W or higher, if possible, because it will be used for gigging.

You will NOT find a 50w amp for $100, sorry. If you do its worse than what you have now, guaranteed. Save up some dough. If you are looking for better tone around $100, Roland Microcube will do the trick but you wont be gigging that 5w or 10w amp or whatever it is.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by emr_steelmech
You will NOT find a 50w amp for $100, sorry. If you do its worse than what you have now, guaranteed. Save up some dough. If you are looking for better tone around $100, Roland Microcube will do the trick but you wont be gigging that 5w or 10w amp or whatever it is.

It's worth a try, but there's no way I'm downgrading.
Here's a link. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

I kind of like the Rage, its not the worst 15 watter, but imo the roland will have better tone and be just as loud.

In the end though, I think you're better off saving your money and buying something that will at least be able to cover a drummer while practicing. You really just need to shop around and try out different amps til you find one you like.
TheBurningFish wrote:

Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Last edited by emr_steelmech at Apr 22, 2008,
craigslist is your best bet.

for example
80W crate GT80D http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/649220116.html

a 1x12 isn't exactly gig worthy if it were a 2x12 80w you'd be good.
crafter twin birds anniversary acoustic
dean tiger maple acoustic
dean hardtail
blackheart 5w head w/bitmo
triple bypass mod
line6 uber metal
Last edited by lec666 at Apr 22, 2008,
The reason why I'm looking here is because people almost give stuff away just because they don't need it anymore, and I'm looking to strike something good. Something will come around eventually.
1x12= one 12 inch speaker

2x12= TWO 12 inch speakers

those amps sound alright, I say go for it if it is in good condition. Previous post = null and void...
TheBurningFish wrote:

Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Last edited by emr_steelmech at Apr 22, 2008,
The place I'm playing in is relatively small though.

Is it worth going for? I got an Ibanez Rg 350 Dx to play on it.
Last edited by fob12 at Apr 22, 2008,
if your playing a bar or something small like that, that crate would be more than enough.

i use my vox ad30vt 30w at an open mic that i goto sometimes at a small bar/pool hall and it does a pretty good job.

but definately keep your eye on craigslist as there are steals out there.....i've scored huge.

i bought a marshall avt150h head & an all original jcm800 1960a lead cab(300W)
it was toured to sh*t but it worked perfect. retail in it's day was $1800
i got it for $300 bucks. i then re-wrapped the head and traded the 1/2 stack for a
vintage 135W fender twin reverb with another person on craigslist.

you gotta look a couple times a day for the sweetest deals though.
dean hardtail
triple bypass mod
line6 uber metal
And is there any get your money back kind of things if the person rips you off?
there you go......that will be way loud for small gig's

looks like it's in really nice shape too.
wrap some electrical tape really tight where the cord goes into the amp cabinet.
thats just the outer shielding thats cracked,not a big deal.

harmony reviews look really good too 9.1 overall

dirt channel described as system of a down, killswitch engage...etc
not many reviewers paying under $225 used.
i'd say pretty good deal and it has the capability of playing more than a small gig.

as far as refunds there are none. all meet and greet,cash and carry,try it b4 you buy it.
dean hardtail
triple bypass mod
line6 uber metal
Last edited by lec666 at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by SEbI666
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MG15DFX

one of the greatest small amps on the planet!

you can listen to its sound on my profile ... its played through emg 81&61

*Facepalm*
So I go, try it, if it works and I like it, I buy it, but no refunds?
thats it....

the way craigslist usually works is you goto the sellers house w/cash or trade and you
inspect & test the goods there(especially electronics) i've done it many,many times.
chances are if your going into their home,whatever they are offering is legit and was
described well in their ad.
if they want to meet somewhere other than their home give'em the thanks but no thanks

what to do though is to go there with your guitar, crank it up and wail on it.
if he won't let you test it loud,tell him you don't want it.
but if you like it,take it home. if not,just tell him it's not the sound you were hoping
for and your gonna have to pass on it.
dean hardtail
triple bypass mod
line6 uber metal
Sounds good. I might give it a try, but I want some second opinions on this amp.
the best opinion you'll get is your own by going there and playing it.

check out the harmony central reviews
dean hardtail
triple bypass mod
line6 uber metal
I 2nd the roland micro cube. More bang than any other amp its size! Also don't!!!! I repeat DONT! but a marshall mg.