Hi everyone... pretty much my first post here.
As i'm (slowly) progressing as a guitarist, i'm seeing more and more gear that i like, and hope to buy.

But now that i'm actually getting a decent amount of hard cash, i need some advice about exactly what to buy.

Currently i have a Vintage Les Paul, cherry sunburst, and two practice amps (a Vox AD15VT and a Roland Cube 15). Although i like these amps, and the effects on the Vox, im looking to buy something i can plug into my PC, with plenty of amp sounds, and effects to maybe create some of my own favourite tones.
The only thing that i can see myself buying is the Line 6 Pod X3. It looks excellent, has everything i need, and even comes with the possibility of plugging in a second instrument or a microphone.
I've read the reviews and it sounds excellent. But is it worth the cash? Best price i have found is £230. Are there any other similar products?

Also, i really would like to buy a loop station. I've come up with a few simple rythms, and i would like to add some solo notes to them, and a loop station seems perfect for me. But i have no idea what to look for haha.
Which ones are the best? Preferably cheap :P

I was thinking of buying a half stack, but have decided against it. I've heard a few people have simply plugged in their Pod X3's into PA systems so a half stack doesnt seem worth the money yet anyway.

Any advice on other necessary gear would be welcome! Since i'll be going back to college after summer, i dont think i'll have a decent amount of money for long :P So i'm buying up now.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies.
Dan

EDIT: Sorry to sound really noobish...

But whats so special about a valve amp? I dont actually know what a valve amp has thats different to other amps :S

I play mainly metal, but also like to jam some indie and blues... Would a valve amp allow me to play all these? What are prices of valve amps? I think a good deal of research is required here haha...
Last edited by CobbZ at Apr 23, 2008,
You seem to like your digital effects and such don't you?

If you're getting decent cash for the first time, maybe you should think about getting a nice tube amp for future gigging. As for loop pedals, I have a Boss RC-20XL which is fantastic (seems to be the norm too) and very easy to use.
^ Or there's the cheaper RC-2.

But seriously, a valve amp will give you a great overdrive, and possibly have reverb and/or tremolo on it; then you could just add quality delay, wah and flanger pedals if you want. You could use the two different channels of the amp (if it has them) as a boost system.
Sorry to sound really noobish...

But whats so special about a valve amp? I dont actually know what a valve amp has thats different to other amps :S

I play mainly metal, but also like to jam some indie and blues... Would a valve amp allow me to play all these? What are prices of valve amps? I think a good deal of research is required here haha...
if you're just doing recording at home (and maybe you're an apartment dweller like me who can't have loud tube amps..) the PODS are a fantastic way to go.

also, if later on you want something loud you can buy an atomic amp. its basically an uncolored tube preamp and poweramp that allows you to drop in your pod for amplified tube dynamics.

there's a HUGE difference with plugging a pod into a PA and into a tube amp.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
If you're going to be playing live, I'd suggest getting an amp instead of just a multi-fx pedal. Yes you can plug it into a PA and lots of people get some great sounds out them this way, but then you'll also have to rely on the place having a PA or buying your own, which could cost quite a bit considering you'll most likely mic everything else through it as well so it'll need to have some power and have to be something of good quality.

However, if you're just going to be using it at home, the POD is pretty good and serves as a recording interface as well. With the recording capabilities, you honestly wouldn't need a loop station if you're going to be playing with your computer, just record the track you want to play in the background on your computer and then have your computer play it over and over with the software. Something else I'd take into consideration if you're going to be playing by yourself, is Guitar Rig with the foot controller. It's more expensive than the POD is but it really is pretty awesome and is actually very faithful to the tones of the amps it models.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by CobbZ
Sorry to sound really noobish...

look at the sticy on the beginning of the forum entitled 'The Ultimate Gear Information Sticky:Incorporating Info on Amps, FX and Pickups' that'll sort you out
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
You know that you can plug your VOX into your computer via (I think) line out/heaphone jack. This way you can record direct to PC without having to buy any additional gear.

Tube/Valve tone is appreciated by "purists" seeking the most "natural" tone possible from their rig. Amp modeling tends to sound "digital" because; well, it is. However, amp modeling has come a long way! In fact, I have been demo'ing a software based program called Guitar Rig 3...and it is quite amazing! I am starting to beleive that the day may arrive, when amp modeling becomes the norm...it may be a while...but this would not suprise me.
i can plug my cube into my computer with $30 worth of gear.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Exactly! In fact, if you depending on your sound card, you can plus directly into your computer's mic and record off of that. This would be the cost of a cable.

Folks that want to upgrade their computer recording abilities should consider a nice sound card. I nice sound card will work with ASIO, and have good inputs such as SPDIF and/or regular 1/4" inputs...etc. Prolly want 24 bit as well.

Quote by ugmung
i can plug my cube into my computer with $30 worth of gear.
Valves and tubes are the same thing.

They amplify and distort sound waves before they come out of your speaker as opposed to being sampled and modified digitally.

You need to spend some time up in the Stickys and the Search box before you start bumping.

;