Anyone have this amp? It seems like it would fit a wide range of styles, and its in my price range.

I've heard around here cheaper Ampegs aren't that good but I would like some opinions,

Thanks in advance.
Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.
i used to have this amp. its great for the price and has a decent tone. i recently upgraded to a much more expensive rig, but for the price the BA115 is a good amp.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Thanks so much for the quick reply, I'll be sure to sit down with this one for a long while next time i get the chance.
I own this amp, and it has a few problems for me. I think it is only slightly better than ok.

1. The tweeter is hissy as ****. Seriously.
2. The tone isn't winning any awards. Its not the worst, but not the best. The 3 band EQ is more volume than actual tone shaping.
3. Too little volume. Can't really attribute this to the amp, but you need at least the HP to gig. You can say its overpriced, but a Fender Rumble 100 is the same price.

The problem with this kind of price is that you'll have too little volume no matter what you choose. Sure the Ashdown EB-180 may have better tone, but its basically 100 watts out of the box.

My 2 cents.
Quote by IndianRockStar
I own this amp, and it has a few problems for me. I think it is only slightly better than ok.

1. The tweeter is hissy as ****. Seriously.
2. The tone isn't winning any awards. Its not the worst, but not the best. The 3 band EQ is more volume than actual tone shaping.
3. Too little volume. Can't really attribute this to the amp, but you need at least the HP to gig. You can say its overpriced, but a Fender Rumble 100 is the same price.

The problem with this kind of price is that you'll have too little volume no matter what you choose. Sure the Ashdown EB-180 may have better tone, but its basically 100 watts out of the box.

My 2 cents.

I will ditto IRS's comments. I looked seriously at this combo since I craved the Ampeg tone. The best I can describe the tone is "Ampeg" lite. And lord, it is quiet for the amount of wattage it advertises.

Its not a bad combo, its just that there are so many better options in that price range.
^you can easily fix the tweeter hissing by turning it off. there are easy manuals on hwo to do this online and i think there is one in the owner's manual. i found that the volume was enough when i played a few shows. you may just be playing with a loud band...i dont know, but it was loud enough for me. and also, most gigs will have a PA system you can mic your amp up to to make it louder anyways.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
^you can easily fix the tweeter hissing by turning it off. there are easy manuals on hwo to do this online and i think there is one in the owner's manual. i found that the volume was enough when i played a few shows. you may just be playing with a loud band...i dont know, but it was loud enough for me. and also, most gigs will have a PA system you can mic your amp up to to make it louder anyways.

I believe modding the amp to turn off the tweeter voids the warranty. And with no tweeter, wouldn't the amp top out pretty much around 1k at most?

As for the volume, I'm not even gigging yet. For practice, my band has a jazz drummer (quieter side), one guitarist with a Peavey Rage 258 (25ss guitar amp), and another guitarist and singer plugged into an 80 watt ss keyboard amp. For that, I'm at full volume, and all EQ knobs are around 6 or 7. Frankly I'm not going to be too bothered with tone, I just want to be heard.
Well, what else would you recommend around that amount of wattage/price? Right now I have a crappy Rumble 15, and I was a little turned off by the other Rumbles because they just seem to have the same EQ just more watts.

I'm kind of an amp noob, what would be best for something for a small gig? (backyard, average auditorium, etc)
As I wrote before:
Quote by smb
Ampeg BA115 and BA115HP

I can see why people gravitate towards these - it's the brand we see behind most famous bassists and these combos look really stylish but these thoroughly disappointed me. The 15" speaker is woofy sounding and the EQ is not very effective and for recording purposes a three band EQ is woefully inadequate, especially when you're used to having a three band onboard preamp. I didn't like the positioning of the mid control, and boosting the treble sounded unpleasant with the tweeter on the lower powered model. Maybe the speaker on these needs a period of breaking in to sound its best but it sounded to me somewhat muffled as if I'd thrown a blanket over the amp - bearing in mind I was testing it with a Fender Jazz lack of clarity wasn't what I expected. The "style" control on these is a pre-shaped EQ, useful perhaps to quickly change tone or for those who don't really know what they want from EQ but I found it crude and would have preferred to have a couple more bands instead. At £270 for the 100W version and a totally ridiculous £425 for the 220W version (GAK prices) there are definitely better alternatives. I haven't tried the version with the preamp tube but if it has the same speaker I can't imagine it makes much difference and is worth the extra £80.
Quote by runningline
Well, what else would you recommend around that amount of wattage/price? Right now I have a crappy Rumble 15, and I was a little turned off by the other Rumbles because they just seem to have the same EQ just more watts.

I'm kind of an amp noob, what would be best for something for a small gig? (backyard, average auditorium, etc)

I can't wholeheartedly tell you to get anything, because there are no perfect options. A used larger combo is the best you can do. An Ashdown MAG, Carvin, Fender BASSMAN, whatever you can find.
Gotcha. Just lookin to know what brand to gravitate to whenever I hit up GC.
Everybody usually mentions Ashdown, however, I've never seen them at GC (which could pose a problem for TS, nop?)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I have the ba115 and i like it for a smaller amp, but i wouldnt want to gig with it. It will shake the floors, thats for sure, but it won't cut through my guitarists vintage musicman as much as i would like it to. So if you are just looking to practice louder, go for it. If you want to gig or go deaf, save your money
I had an Ampeg BA115 for about a year or so. I never had any problems with it and it sounded good. The only reason I got rid of it is to get a bigger combo. I ended up getting the Fender Bassman 250/210. Overall I was happy with the BA115.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE