so what do you guys use to record?
i have a 4track casette recorder and for digital i just plug into the line in on my laptop and use audacity.
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
cool
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
I use the Snowball USB Blue microphone and audacity. Its a nice set up if you are doing "live" recordings of a band or combo.
my band uses three individual, 4 channel mixers (bass, guitar, guitar) into a Carvin
24 channel mixing board. the drums are Roland V-Drums, and run directly to the board, the signal is then split between a computer, and a Boss 8 track Digital
Recorder. we play, and listen through headphones mostly, but have a Crown amp to drive the P.A. speakers for mixdowns. we also have a Tascam 2488 Digital Recorder, for smaller practice sessions, away from the "Jam Room".
I use a Boss Br-8 in conjunction with Garageband with a tube-preamp interface.
The BOSS Micro-BR is absolutely incredible. I was using a Tascam Portastudio DP-01 until I bought the Micro-BR. It blew the Tascam right out of the water. It's hard for the mates and I to find useful recording equipment because we're 100% improvisational, so we're unable to record seperately. The DP-01 was rendered useless by its lack of mic inputs, and by the fact that my drummer has a drum mic kit, two instrument mics, two vocal mics, and a digital 8-track cassette recording studio (4 XLR inputs were much more appealing than 2 TRS). Far too much to wire through a mixer and into a home studio.

I was at my local shop one day trying to buy the SYB-5, and I was told that they were out of stock. I was with the other two guys I play with, and while I was waiting for one of us to buy something minor that I can't remember (picks or sticks or something), I started telling them about the Micro-BR. I had read about it, and I thought they'd think it was just as incredible as I thought when I first saw an 'actual size' picture in Recording Magazine. Long story short: I said "Ya' know, I guess I'll have money to buy the Synth next time I'm in here," and I bought the Micro-BR.

We went back to the drummers house and set it down in the far side of the room on an air hockey table. I figured I'd record what we played to test the internal mic's ability to capture an entire band, as most recording studios are not meant to do this at all.

The sound quality is impeccable for such a cheap-looking microphone. On my sound system I can actually feel the bassline when I hit the lows, the guitar is crisp and clean (err...dirty depending on his mood), and the drums are clear enough to tell where and how the drummer actually struck the cymbal (whether he tapped towards the center or just smacked the rim). I haven't used any other portable recording studios, but I'm almost positive that for $220 the Micro-BR is absolutely the best on the market right now.

And all I did was set it in the corner on an airhockey table. It's also possible to use a line in or external mic.

****ing awesome machine, especially on a budget or in a tricky scenario like our need to record as a whole.

Edit: Oh yeah, and sometime between paychecks I quit my job. I still don't have that synth pedal, but I also don't have a single regret.
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

...I have an empty wallet.
Last edited by ChaoticPeace at Apr 23, 2008,