Hey,
Over the summer, since I have a pretty good job, I'm gonna be making quite a good amount of money on guitar stuff (after spending it on responsible things like college and such). Specifically things to record with. I'm probably gonna get a nice Shure SM57 (if you have something better to recommend, feel free). I am just not sure what to buy for recording to my PC. I don't need anything elaborate, just a basic setup to get connectivity between the PC and the mic.

And for an amp, I want something low wattage which I can make nice home recordings with a good amount of tube saturation. I was thinking a Bad Cat mini cat (5 watt 1x12 combo, my store carries them). I tried a bad cat out at a local store and I loved it, but I was wondering if there were any better recording amps out there.

I don't want to go the attenuator route, because I tried one out the other day (a marshall powerbrake to be precise) and I thought it sucked a bit of tone. I know a weber would probably be better, but I wanted something small which I can cart around, since as of this moment, I don't have an amp under 50 pounds.

So, a nice basic recording setup recommendation, and a good low wattage, portable amp recommendation would be nice!

Budget really isn't a problem, since i'm gonna be making alot over the summer.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
for recording gear ask in the R&R form.
for music gear you can you post here.

If you are looking to just record guitar you could get away with a simple interface like the m-audio fast track USB but I suggest spending around $200 on an interface and go firewire. The Mackie Onyx Satellite is nice for the price.
Get that PRS, you won't be sorry! And, I heard a demo of the bad cat, and it sounded amazing. Also, look at the Dr. Z mini Z.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
God I wish I had parents like yours. Then I'd work and just spend my money on gear. Too bad theyre nazi's.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
for your recording set up,
I'd look into a tascam US-122L, this gives you the option of direct injection as well as the mic'in option. Sure sm57 sounds dead on for recording a guitar amp.
You might also need some software (cubase 4 stuio ect.) or just get audacity.
There are some basic options for you =)
Orange Tiny Terror is pretty wicked.
it is pretty loud though i think.
for anything, look at musician's friend, there's always great deals there
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
^Oh.
Well, you can just help me with an amp choice anyways.
I tried out the fender princeton recording combo and thought it was horrible. The attenuator sucked so much tone. It had alright cleans though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ahhh somthing I can truly help you with for once dark lol.

Get the SM57 GREAT mic for recording. then look into cubase for a recording program that or pro tools both are amazing and round 3 to 400 dollars.

You probably won't like this but a great "amp" for recording are the Rockman modules they're amazing for recording you can get blues to 80s metal outta them. Just great for just about everything.

but if you must have an amp I think you should go the ceriatone way I think that would be best. but you might like the bad cat.

I also think you would like the PRS get one em!
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
You should check out the 0.5 watt amp that blackhearts releasing btw
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
^I'm gonna see about the guitar.
I may just get a good old american strat and just soup it up.
Or get a super awesome neck and swap out the hardware on my MIM (that way it still has all the sentimental value of being my first electric, but souped-up-a-fied)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^I'm gonna see about the guitar.
I may just get a good old american strat and just soup it up.
Or get a super awesome neck and swap out the hardware on my MIM (that way it still has all the sentimental value of being my first electric, but souped-up-a-fied)

I like the idea of souping up your strat thats what I did to mine lol. I changes out the pic guard to an american one but a a seymour duncan Humbucker in teh bridge and but locking tuners and a couple other things.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
If you want to go miking the cabs it's no real advantage, but imho the ADA MP-1 and MP-2 feature some of the most useable sounds available for that kind of money and their recording out sounds like a very convincing miked cab.
and whatever you have for a Job I want btw lol.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
and whatever you have for a Job I want btw lol.

Not really, it's hard work.
I clean carpets.
The business is slow sometimes though.
But when at full swing, I estimate that I make about 25 bucks an hour. But, due to the fluctuations in business and the economy the way it is (especially in Michigan), by the end of the summer, i'd make only a little more than working in a minimum wage job.
Oh well.

But thanks for all the recommendations. I was also looking at other tiny amps. Back in my old "amp shopping" threads, this one guy recommend that I go with this one fledgling boutique company that was putting out a very low wattage amp which looked pretty hot. I"m gonna look back on my threads and see what the name of the company was.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Check out something from Swart, maybe something along the lines of the Space Tone, which runs on a 6V6.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by darkarbiter7
Not really, it's hard work.
I clean carpets.
The business is slow sometimes though.
But when at full swing, I estimate that I make about 25 bucks an hour. But, due to the fluctuations in business and the economy the way it is (especially in Michigan), by the end of the summer, i'd make only a little more than working in a minimum wage job.
Oh well.

But thanks for all the recommendations. I was also looking at other tiny amps. Back in my old "amp shopping" threads, this one guy recommend that I go with this one fledgling boutique company that was putting out a very low wattage amp which looked pretty hot. I"m gonna look back on my threads and see what the name of the company was.

what about the Zvex mini amp that thing is sweet?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
^Maybe

^^Hmm... forgot about swart. I remember that the AST was one of my top choices for my last amp purchase, but it fell through. Maybe i'll get a low wattage amp from them.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator