Page 1 of 2
Is it just me, or do band names now-a-days make no sense? Take, for example, Bullet For My Valentine, or Bring Me The Horizon, or Funeral For A Friend? Do they just pick names that sound cool? Or is there some other meaning that's passing me?

By the way, I'm not talking about the music, just the names, I could careless what people think about their music, I only listen to 2/3 bands I listed.
There have always been stupid names. Foriegner. Case in point,
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Bring Me The Horizon is from Pirates of the Carribean I think. Jack Sparrow says something like "now bring me that horizon." I think "Funeral For A Friend" was a movie or book... not sure, don't remember.

Most of them are just stupid little pop-culture references like that.

Edit: Ah, Elton John song, that's it. Sorry.
Quote by SG thrasher
Bums to the ground when rilakam's around.
Last edited by rilakam at Apr 22, 2008,
blame elton john for "funeral for a friend"
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Quote by samuwel
blame elton john for "funeral for a friend"

I always thought it was from the Superman comic books. My friend has the original one framed where Superman dies and the caption says "Funeral For A Friend".
Quote by waldorphPRS41
I always thought it was from the Superman comic books. My friend has the original one framed where Superman dies and the caption says "Funeral For A Friend".

That's what I thought too...
Quote by SG thrasher
Bums to the ground when rilakam's around.
Quote by waldorphPRS41

nah i read an interview where the band said it was from the elton john song.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
If you want to start a core/scene band just use one of these 3 formulas

1."noun/verb" of a "noun"
2."noun" the "noun"
3."As" something happens
i reacon half of them get them from that Random Band Name Generator thing
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
BFMV explains their meaning behide their name on their site... I can't remember what it said but it was somthing like their lyrics can be harsh or about love... The bullet is the harsh part and Valentine is the love part but I'm not sure..
XBL GT: WILDWAYNE001
add me if you wish...
Quote by rockon1824
"Funeral for a Friend" is taken from the title of an Elton John song.

it's taken from a planes mistaken for stars song.
rites of nothing.
Quote by WILDWAYNE001
BFMV explains their meaning behide their name on their site... I can't remember what it said but it was somthing like their lyrics can be harsh or about love... The bullet is the harsh part and Valentine is the love part but I'm not sure..
That is so ridiculously cliched.

On the FFAF thing, they keep changing what they say in interviews I've read. As a result, some people think it's Elton John, some think it's PMFS. They seem to reference Elton John these days. I even read somewhere one of the guys said they didn't even like PMFS. And I've never heard about the Superman reference.
ffaf definitely didnt get their name from elton. its just a coincidence.
bands think of cool names that is meaningless and try to make up stupid excuses for reasons for the names. i think its funny
Quote by Selkies921
If you want to start a core/scene band just use one of these 3 formulas

1."noun/verb" of a "noun"
2."noun" the "noun"
3."As" something happens

your forgetting

"Beneath" something
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
Quote by waldorphPRS41

there was a whole cross over story arc called funeral for a friend set after doomsday killed superman, about the dc universe mourning the dead hero.

its actually pretty not bad
Quote by XCount Me InX
i reacon half of them get them from that Random Band Name Generator thing

where can i find one!
COME LISTEN TO MY METALCORE BAND

The Rising of Decaying ashes from the wake of burnt bodies between the strain of Perception forwith engulfing Acacia into an Inferno

any time you talk about them you have to abreviate it.
Some band names, just deserve to be long

The number 12 looks like you
They might be giants
New riders of the purple sage

Sometimes, it just feels right
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Some names are pretty stupid, but you kinda get used to it....

edit:
eg:
Job For A Cowboy
Bring Me The Horizon
The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza
From A Second Story Window
The Number 12 Looks Like You
IWRESTLEDABEARONCE

Etc, etc, I could go on.
im pretty sure bands today just put up a bunch of nouns/verbs/adjectiveson notecards on a wall and just throw 3 darts, one adjective, one verb, one noun, and get their name
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Quote by lilboisX3
IWRESTLEDABEARONCE is ****in awesome

I love my hardcore and metal vocals but am I the only one that gets scared when that chick does the deep deathcore vocals? She might be the lowest growler of any chick I've ever heard, it's deeper than Angela Gossow and it gives me the willies when I see her doing it on a video or live or something. As I said I love my metal vocals and I love women but I don't like putting them both together.
the names you said aren't really that weird or different, you should be questioning ones like The Devil Wears Prada or Html Rules dood :P
XD
Quote by andyq777
where can i find one!

haha this is one

http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/randband.html

its not the one ive done in the past, the one in the past came up with the WEIRDEST names like

Gouged Eyes and Disembowled Chainsaw and stuff like that
LOL i just had a go on that one and it came up with "When my cancer died last week"

http://www.deathmetalgenerator.info/
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Last edited by XCount Me InX at Apr 24, 2008,
Quote by Dendretic
the names you said aren't really that weird or different, you should be questioning ones like The Devil Wears Prada or Html Rules dood :P

well TDWP stole their name from a novel

come to think of it, nothing they do is original
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
It's "case and point."

No it isn't. It's "case in point" meaning an example that demonstrates the point he was making.
Quote by XCount Me InX
haha this is one

http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/randband.html

its not the one ive done in the past, the one in the past came up with the WEIRDEST names like

Gouged Eyes and Disembowled Chainsaw and stuff like that
LOL i just had a go on that one and it came up with "When my cancer died last week"

http://www.deathmetalgenerator.info/

haha

i tried the generator and got
"As Soon As My Feet Sleep"
"While The Oceans Are Forgotten"
" My Dog Becomes Dust"
"Gates of Ravaged Fate"

these names are sooo sweet!!
Page 1 of 2