When people say "upgrade the pickups..etc" Is this an easy thing to do are would you have to get a proffesional to do so?
Damien Rice === Legend
in theory it's quite easy but I'm not sure I'd trust myself to do it because of things like the height of the things; I'll probably get a pro to do it when I eventually have the money for some BKPs.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's pretty easy. Requires some google but there's no real way you can really mess it up. Worst thing happening is needing to resolder the whole thing.
Its not to hard to do. If you wanna mod stuff but not have to pay people to do it forever need to learn eventually.
the thing is, guitar center now charges $40 per pup to install.

and really, the pickups only cost $60-80 as it is. so, yeah buy the $15 soldering iron set.
read the instructions on the package.

buy the pickups, read the wire schematics included, and ask here if you need to.
Video how to...
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
unless you plan on modding it a lot or actively, have a pro do it...

i mean if its a one time switch why not have it done well. unless your local shop is booked a month and half like mine lol...that marked the date I started learning guitar tech.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
^i dont know, why throw money away just because it's just one time?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
There's also plenty of online guides on how to solder connections. It's actually quite easy to do. If you're still unsure, you can practice on old electronic parts, soldering and desoldering points until you're comfortable with it.

Also, if you know you're going to work on a guitar, set aside half the day for it. That way you're not in a rush, and you're not trying to hurry to get it done. Most mistakes occur when you try to rush things. Take your time and you should be fine.

As for why do it in the first place?

It saves you money. You put something together you can be proud of. You learn a little bit more about how the guitar works. And in my case, I turned it into almost a part time job, doing repairs, upgrades, and setups for people I know.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
If you can solder, then installing pickups it is real easy.
If you cant, then you can learn to solder, it's easy.

I do all my own pickups, not because it saves me $40 a pickup, but I just don't want someone I don't know messing around inside my guitar.

I am meticulous about my stuff. I know I would route the wires nice and neat. I just did my strat last night actually.

Practice soldering some wires and stuff together, you will get the hang of it. You could probably learn on youtube.
Yeah its piss easy, u would have to be retarted to screw it up and even if u do, worst case scenario u have to resolder it. (Actually i should be more careful what i say, i stuffed mine up, for some reason the volume knob doesnt work!)
RG's & Mesa's
yeah, just read alot of google and watch youtube videos and youll be ready after a few practice rounds on some old electric stuff
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
I just recently bought new pickups and I'll try to install them myself. I'm sure there's enough info on the internet, and in case of doubt there's still UG
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I would definitely do pickups myself.

I recently built a guitar from scratch. It was an acoustic, but with both humbuckers and an inbuilt Piezo mic. The wiring for that was very complicated, and something isn't earthed properly. I'm not sure I'd try that again, I have to say.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
It's not all that difficult. Although it's relatively hard to cause damage if you screw up, it's still a possibility and some people feel the need to pay the $40 to have someone do it - for security.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by e32lover
Yeah its piss easy, u would have to be retarted to screw it up and even if u do, worst case scenario u have to resolder it. (Actually i should be more careful what i say, i stuffed mine up, for some reason the volume knob doesnt work!)

This is a funny post..
Damien Rice === Legend
It's too expensive to get it done by a tech. Especially when I swap pickups like crazy.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I do mine myself, but I always have to borrow the soldering iron since I don't have my own yet.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
i bought some new p'ups for my epi les paul. also got a push pull pot to phase shift.

got em all installed, no worky...

its now with a guitar tech to do a full rewire. and while its there i am having a phase switch, coil splits/taps and one switch to bypass the vol/tone controls altogether...

oh well. maybe next time my soldering will hav improved.
Thank you please.
Quote by e32lover

Quote by Sid McCall
I do mine myself, but I always have to borrow the soldering iron since I don't have my own yet.

I use a $8 soldering iron from sears. Works as good as any other one. Get your own, then when it's time to change your strings just plug it in and go.
To be honest, It wasn't very difficult for me. It was a matter of desoldering two wires then soldering two new ones. Did that for three pickups on my strat + the bridge/mid pickup tone mod. Works brilliantly
I installed EMGs in one of my guitars, which was pretty easy. Just google for tips and get a soldering iron and practice before you try it out. It's that cool feeling you get when you've done something yourself.
It's so easy your retarded cousin with lobster hands could do it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
If it's a rear-routed guitar (e.g. Les Paul, most SGs, msot Super Strat guitars) then I'll do it msyelf.

If it's a hollowbody (hard to change anything on) or front-routed guitar (e.g. most Stratocasters, some SGs), then I usually wait until there's something else I want changed/installed (tuners, nut, or whatever else), and pay to have everything done at once. I could change out things on those kinds of guitars msyelf if I could be bothered, but it takes longer than rear-routed guitars, and generally if something takes longer than six or seven seconds, I'd rather just pay someone else to do it for me...
Quote by ZC3rr0r
It's pretty easy. Requires some google but there's no real way you can really mess it up. Worst thing happening is needing to resolder the whole thing.

As stated before, soldering is pretty damn easy. With that said, there is SOME danger associated with it -- if you hold the soldering iron to the leads for too long, you can fry the electronics that you're soldering. There's not much danger of it happening, but the danger should be noted (and this may be why a certain UG member's volume/tone pot isn't working...).
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
soldering can be made even easier with the proper equipment:

Good soldering iron
Good solder
Liquid flux

And yes, holding the soldering iron to a component can actually damage the pot for example. Take your time and if you are unsure, practice beforehand.