right now, i have the line 6 set up thats in my sig, but eventually i want to get a higher end amp with good tone and gain. now obviously, "good" is in the eye of the beholder, so let me try to explain my question(s). I'm looking for a solid metal amp.

the three amp brands im looking at are Krank, Marshall, and Randall.

From everything I've read, the Krankenstein amp can produce either demonic metal tone and gain to country and bluegrass type tones.

Now, obviously the first company that comes to mind at all with amps is Marshall. But whenever I think Marshall, i think tubes and vintage. Now i know bands like Nile and Slayer use Marshalls and they have pretty good gain. But i just can't shake the feeling of buying a vintage-style, low gain tube amp. but im probably wrong in thinking that.

and yes, i know the Krankenstein is a tube amp.

alot of people have reccomended Randall amps, because theyre "solid state". I have no clue what this means, but im assuming its basically the same type of operation my Line 6 has. Plus, i kind of have a biased opinion of Kranks and Randalls because thats what Dime used, which is partly why I also have a razorback.

so what yalls opinions on these three amp brands? i know marshall probably has a variety of amps to choose from, so like i said, im looking for a good metal amp. the more controllable gain, the better. and id also like to able to screw around with the tone untill i find something i like, which im pretty sure all amps can do, so maybe im just a complete dumb****.

sorry for my stupidity.
How much money do you have?
I personally don't like Dime's tone but that doesn't mean all Randalls sound like that.
Krank's probably have more gain, but a used Mesa might do the trick.
Brawl Anyone?: Click HERE!!!

Like Mario Kart WiFi? Need help finding friends? Click here
IM with bob.. Dimes tone is great... but only for Dime. Ive used randalls, marshall plexis, jcms, and a soldano. Ive turned to MEsa Boogie about 9 years ago and never looked back. The rectifiers have insane high gain channels. I also use a 2x12 tremoverb that by far is THE best amp ive ever played out of... period. $3000 is more than enough for a sweet triple rec Mesa stack or a high end combo. The only other amp ive played that was ridiculous was Diezel VH. It is also ridiculously expensive...about $3500 for a head alone.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Last edited by LesPaulFreeek at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by LesPaulFreeek
IM with bob.. Dimes tone is great... but only for Dime. Ive used randalls, marshall plexis, jcms, and a soldano. Ive turned to MEsa Boogie about 9 years ago and never looked back. The rectifiers have insane high gain channels. I also use a 2x12 tremoverb that by far is THE best amp ive ever played out of... period. $3000 is more than enough for a sweet triple rec Mesa stack or a high end combo. The only other amp ive played that was ridiculous was Diezel VH. It is also ridiculously expensive...about $3500 for a head alone.

a triple rec is a little overkill for a bedroom player dont ya think? look into mark IV or roadster if you want a mesa
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
a triple rec is a little overkill for a bedroom player dont ya think? look into mark IV or roadster if you want a mesa

I agree.. but he said he had $3000 for an amp. Id want to blow my neighbors roofs off if I could. LOL That said... roadsters and stilletos or even an older rectoverb 1x12 combo would be sweet for your bedroom and not too much overkill.. you could also gig with it if you needed to. Ive also heard excellent things about the Line 6 with the Bogner tube power section. 1x12 combo too... nice

Boss GT-8
Quote by shredhead22

well, im not going to be just a bedroom player forever.

at least, im not planning on it.
You can't judge an entire amp company. All three have some really amazing amps, and all three have complete sh!t amps. Depending on how much you have to spend (but keeping in mind the cost of what you have been thinking of), here is what I suggest you look into:

Peavey Triple XXX
Peavey 6505 (or used 5150)
Peavey JSX
Marshall JCM800 (might need an OD pedal for higher gain)
Marshall JCM900 (used)
Marshall JCM2000 (I've heard the DSLs sound better, but I've played a TSL combo and they are damn fine amps)
Krank Revolution One
Randall MTS series (they can get expensive, but they are sure as hell worth it)
Randall XL series (the V2 and T2 amps, which are some of the only hybrids I would personally ever consider for gigging)

There's tons more, like Engl, H&K, B-52, Laney, etc. but I have less experience with them as I do with the ones I listed.

EDIT: Oh, and I would stay away from the Krankenstein. I played one at a Sam Ash and just couldn't get a decent tone, and everyone in the store (including employees) agreed that it's simply terrible. The guy that I asked said that he couldn't believe it either, and that they have tried everything they can to make it sound good but nothing works. Whats funny is that I played a Razorback through it.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Last edited by mafropetee at Apr 22, 2008,
Quote by mafropetee
You can't judge an entire amp company. All three have some really amazing amps, and all three have complete sh!t amps. Depending on how much you have to spend (but keeping in mind the cost of what you have been thinking of), here is what I suggest you look into:

Peavey Triple XXX
Peavey 6505 (or used 5150)
Peavey JSX
Marshall JCM800 (might need an OD pedal for higher gain)
Marshall JCM900 (used)
Marshall JCM2000 (I've heard the DSLs sound better, but I've played a TSL combo and they are damn fine amps)
Krank Revolution One
Randall MTS series (they can get expensive, but they are sure as hell worth it)
Randall XL series (the V2 and T2 amps, which are some of the only hybrids I would personally ever consider for gigging)

There's tons more, like Engl, H&K, B-52, Laney, etc. but I have less experience with them as I do with the ones I listed.

EDIT: Oh, and I would stay away from the Krankenstein. I played one at a Sam Ash and just couldn't get a decent tone, and everyone in the store (including employees) agreed that it's simply terrible. The guy that I asked said that he couldn't believe it either, and that they have tried everything they can to make it sound good but nothing works. Whats funny is that I played a Razorback through it.

perhaps it was maybe just a faulty amp?
Quote by rainingblood187

could be, but with 3 grand there's no use in getting a randall or krank amp, marshall and mesa are the way to go.

if you go marshall, the JCM800 and 900's can do metal with the right pedals in front of'em. and as for the mesa, well i'm not familiar with those, but my buddy has a combo, i think it's the MarkII C+ or something like that and it ****in owns when it comes to metal.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by rainingblood187

Well it had been there for months. You would think they would have put out a floor model that actually works by then.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I haven't tried them but the Randall MTS series tube amps could get you any tone you want because of the modular preamps that replicate other amps. You could get a Marshall and a Mesa tone from the same head or combo. I'm looking at getting a Krank, which is what Dime used after Randall. In an interview I saw, he said he used to hate tubes and only went for solid states, but the Kranks changed his mind apparently. Both are great for metal, but definitely go tube.
Dude, with that kind of money...

Put the money down on a Mako Mak2 once you get it and you'll have saved the other half by the time its done being built. Then get yourself a Vader 4x12 cabinet, and you'll have incredible ****ing tone for a bit over $3000 because of shipping.

I think those amps have the best tone for metal of any amp in existence. The lead tones on the newest The Absence album use that amp, to give you an idea of how it sounds after studio work. It sounds amazing before that, though.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
i think im gonna check out some mesas next time i go to guitar center.

also, im not doing that job i was planning on doing, so im not gonna have anywhere near 3000 bucks by the end of summer.
well... you could also try ebay. Ive seen some nice 90s Mesa combos for around $1000.00. They are bulletproof also.

FYI.. I play in a Pantera tribute here in NYC. My other guitarist bought the Krank a few months ago. He brought it back twice thinking that something was wrong with it. Sounded terrible. He ended up with a Mesa 2:50 power amp, Triaxis preamp and rectifier 4x12 cab. Insane.

Boss GT-8
Last edited by LesPaulFreeek at May 31, 2008,