i'm looking in to buying a new guitar. i'm currently playing a squier that is driving me crazy. i've played around in the music stores and i think i like the faded sg the best. it was between the sg and a mexi standard strat. is this probably the best guitar in this price range. btw i play classic rock. mostly led, and skynyrd
For Led a Les Paul would be good too, but the SG is a good choice. However, I recommend the standard over the faded.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
the gibson sg faded sucks. my best friend bought it and it is a POS. the neck isn't even sanded, the pickups suck, and the neck is awkward feeling. this is my opinion anyways. i think a good choice for you would be the nashville power tele.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
standard quality epiphone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>low quality gibson

get an epiphone g-400
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Its an ok guitar. You could probably find a better deal for your money, but as for a standard epiphone being better than an SG, you'd probably have to compare them on a one for one basis. I think I blanket statement is a little too general. And the pickups don't "suck" necessarily, its just that Gibson, for some reason, decided to put 2 490R rhythm pickups in the specials (all specials not just faded) and just raise them up to right under the strings. So they're not gonna give you the same bridge sound as a standard (which uses a 498T).

A lot of people do think the neck is weird also. It is sanded, just not finished or polished (its a different, wider grain wood that a Strat, so its definately gonna feel rougher). I personally don't mind too much, I like it better than a laquered neck (my hand sticks to em).

I've also heard that a lot of people don't like gibson necks at all (too wide) so you HAVE to play this guitar and compare it too others. If you really really like it, than it's not a terrible deal, however its probably not the best either. Also depends how much you're gonna buy it for.

A high quality epiphone however would probably be a good deal. Be sure to compare whatever you plan to buy. The thing about getting a Mexi strat is the sound. It's gonna sound different. Most people prefer the SG for a more rock sound, but you can definately get a decent sound out of strat for what you want to play, especially a HSS one.
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Apr 22, 2008,
well to be honest i would prefer a lp but i don't want an epi so its out of the picture for now. and i'm not really a fan of tele's, i just don't feel like you can really make them scream
Quote by uncboy19
well to be honest i would prefer a lp but i don't want an epi so its out of the picture for now. and i'm not really a fan of tele's, i just don't feel like you can really make them scream

It's kinda sad that you're close-minded about Epiphones. They are very solid guitars and fairly priced, as opposed to Gibsons that are ridiculously overpriced.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by uncboy19

An epi isn't a bad guitar, the only real difference between a gibson and a really good epi is the resell value, but I don't think that's a concern if you're gonna get a special.
i'm not closed minded about epi's but unfortunatly given my low income haha (i'm 16 and jobless) the next guitar i get will be with me for a while and i want to go ahead and get a top of the line brand guitar which to me means fender or gibson.
Quote by uncboy19
i'm not closed minded about epi's but unfortunatly given my low income haha (i'm 16 and jobless) the next guitar i get will be with me for a while and i want to go ahead and get a top of the line brand guitar which to me means fender or gibson.

I'm 16 as well, and I know that Gibsons are a waste of money 99% of the time. Do yourself a favor and try to find the difference between a high-end Epiphone and a low-end Gibson. See if you can even find a difference.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

look at the fender telecaster deluxe FMT (i own it) when you go look at some guitars. its got humbuckers so it can handle more distortion and the neck is very comfortable.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by uncboy19

if you want a top of the line guitar, it doesnt mean the same thing as a brand guitar. grow up. get the best guitar for your buck, not the one with the best logo.
when i played a few epi standard pauls i found that they had less sustain and chunkier necks than the sg special faded idk mayb thats just my opinion.
Quote by uncboy19
i want to go ahead and get a top of the line brand guitar which to me means fender or gibson.
Well see, the problem with this is, a high-end Epiphone will be tougher and survive in perfect condition longer than a low-end (or even mid-range) Gibson will.

There are two thigns that Epiphone get undeniably perfect:
1) Archtops. They have always been the kind of archtop/hollowbody guitars, even since before World War II.
2) High-end durability. Their very top, best guitars could probably have survived WWII even in the front lines. I own a Custom Shop Gibson, an ESP Custom Shop, and the toughest guitar I own? An Epi Elitist. I can throw it out of a third story window and it comes away without a single dent or scratch (I have, and it did).

So if you want a guitar to 'last', the Epi is the best way to go, really.

Quote by uncboy19
when i played a few epi standard pauls i found that they had less sustain and chunkier necks than the sg special faded idk mayb thats just my opinion.
That's because Epiphone only has one neck profile, while Gibson has three (50's, 59, 60's). You were probably playing an SG with the 60's (slim) neck. Trust me, Gibson guitars can have necks much thicker than Epiphone's (which is about halfway between a 50's neck and a 60's on average).

As far as sustain goes, most of that will be in the set-up. I've got a mid-range Gibson SG (specifically, an SG Goddess), and even though that has a wraparound bridge (which increases sustain vastly), it only has about a second and a half more sustain than my Epi G-400.

And really. I know how it is. You see a guitar with 'Gibson' on the headstock... it's within your price range... you're hell-bent on buying it. Even when other people tell you not to bother, you still want it anyway. After all, it's a Gibson, so it has to be good, right? But believe me, it's not a smart thing to do. I've had many cheap Gibsons (as well as mid-range, high-end, Custom Shop, and mid and high-range Epis, ESPs, Kramers, Fenders, Squiers...), and the cheap ones have never been worth the money.

For the same price as a Gibson SG Special Faded (which, by the way, is the very lowest-end SG Gibson have ever produced - and the quality reflects that. It really is poor), you could buy an Epiphone G-400 and upgrade the pickups to your own personal taste. You'll end up with something that will hold up just as well, tonally sound better, and even after that you'll have money left over.
Or, at least do yourself the favour and save up more money, and buy a Gibson SG Standard or Epiphone Elitist '61 SG (the Elitist will, from a sheer technical point of view, be superior. The downside is, the Elitist comes with less neck and finish options, has lower resale value, and of course, has the less respected Epi logo on it's headstock. So it's your call which you prefer, technical superiority, or more personalisation and a better/more respectable image).

Remember: buying quality now, means you save money in the long run by not having to upgrade to another guitar so soon and so often. And an SG Special Faded is not 'quality'.
Special Fadeds are Great Guitars, and most people who Bash them on this Site either havent played them or are jumping on a Gibson-Hating Bandwagon. i own a SG Special, ive played many SG Specials, and they are fine instruments. If you can get your parents to spring you the extra cash, get the Standard. otherwise Special FTW!
Quote by bokuho
Well see, the problem with this is, a high-end Epiphone will be tougher and survive in perfect condition longer than a low-end (or even mid-range) Gibson will.

There are two thigns that Epiphone get undeniably perfect:
1) Archtops. They have always been the kind of archtop/hollowbody guitars, even since before World War II.
2) High-end durability. Their very top, best guitars could probably have survived WWII even in the front lines. I own a Custom Shop Gibson, an ESP Custom Shop, and the toughest guitar I own? An Epi Elitist. I can throw it out of a third story window and it comes away without a single dent or scratch (I have, and it did).

So if you want a guitar to 'last', the Epi is the best way to go, really.

That's because Epiphone only has one neck profile, while Gibson has three (50's, 59, 60's). You were probably playing an SG with the 60's (slim) neck. Trust me, Gibson guitars can have necks much thicker than Epiphone's (which is about halfway between a 50's neck and a 60's on average).

As far as sustain goes, most of that will be in the set-up. I've got a mid-range Gibson SG (specifically, an SG Goddess), and even though that has a wraparound bridge (which increases sustain vastly), it only has about a second and a half more sustain than my Epi G-400.

And really. I know how it is. You see a guitar with 'Gibson' on the headstock... it's within your price range... you're hell-bent on buying it. Even when other people tell you not to bother, you still want it anyway. After all, it's a Gibson, so it has to be good, right? But believe me, it's not a smart thing to do. I've had many cheap Gibsons (as well as mid-range, high-end, Custom Shop, and mid and high-range Epis, ESPs, Kramers, Fenders, Squiers...), and the cheap ones have never been worth the money.

For the same price as a Gibson SG Special Faded (which, by the way, is the very lowest-end SG Gibson have ever produced - and the quality reflects that. It really is poor), you could buy an Epiphone G-400 and upgrade the pickups to your own personal taste. You'll end up with something that will hold up just as well, tonally sound better, and even after that you'll have money left over.
Or, at least do yourself the favour and save up more money, and buy a Gibson SG Standard or Epiphone Elitist '61 SG (the Elitist will, from a sheer technical point of view, be superior. The downside is, the Elitist comes with less neck and finish options, has lower resale value, and of course, has the less respected Epi logo on it's headstock. So it's your call which you prefer, technical superiority, or more personalisation and a better/more respectable image).

Remember: buying quality now, means you save money in the long run by not having to upgrade to another guitar so soon and so often. And an SG Special Faded is not 'quality'.

you got any close up pics of your G-400, id love to see em. ive seen tons from online stores but they arent very good pics. i used to own a Gibson SG Standard and want to get another one but will probably pick up a G-400 Limited Edition to hold me over until i can afford another Gibson

thanks
Keep the thread active and I'll post pictures tomorrow if you want. It's 3am right now though and I doubt my flatmates would appreciate me clunking around my camera gear at this time of the morning.

Quote by Tubyboulin
Special Fadeds are Great Guitars, and most people who Bash them on this Site either havent played them or are jumping on a Gibson-Hating Bandwagon. i own a SG Special, ive played many SG Specials, and they are fine instruments. If you can get your parents to spring you the extra cash, get the Standard. otherwise Special FTW!
See, this is something I have a huge problem with.

When people won a guitar, they tend to say it's great with zero flaws and everyone should buy one. Every time someone makes a 'which guitar?' thread, 99% of the time when someone suggests a guitar, you can look in their sig or on their profile and you'll see they own that guitar themselves - and few people are willing to admit that a guitar they own sucks.

This seems especially true with SG Specials, LP Studios, Faded models, and so on. Usually the people who have these models are the people who bought it because "a Gibson I can afford! Wow!", and they've never even touched a genuinely good guitar before.

I've owned several Specials, Faded, Studios, hell even the even crappier Epiphone versions. And yes, they are all crap. They are all sub-par.

Like I say, there is a reason that it's called a 'Standard'. It's the average, the base line. Anything below it, is low-end. What do you think 'low-end' means?

An SG Special is a **** guitar. It's fun to pose with, it's handy for smashing up in a rock 'n' roll style when you don't want to actually lose one of your better instruments. It looks nice. That's about all it's use is though. You wouldn't want to use one on stage, you wouldn't use one on a studio recording. For barely any more money (and less money, if you're willing to drop the Gibson logo) you can get a much superior instrument (like an SG Standard).

I know what it's like, you buy a new guitar and you fall in love with it, as far as you care it's perfect. This is especially true when it's your only guitar. But the fact is, unless that guitar in question happens to be a genuine '59 Les Paul hand-restored to full glory, you probably shouldn't actually be singing it's praises too much. Be realistic. A £500 guitar like an SG Special isn't going to be good, not by a long stretch. ****, a £2000 LP Standard is only average quality.
"Keep the thread active and I'll post pictures tomorrow if you want. It's 3am right now though and I doubt my flatmates would appreciate me clunking around my camera gear at this time of the morning."

perfect, thanks....
Quote by nauc
"Keep the thread active and I'll post pictures tomorrow if you want. It's 3am right now though and I doubt my flatmates would appreciate me clunking around my camera gear at this time of the morning."

perfect, thanks....

bump.........
I have one, and I love it. It is not nearly as good as a Standard, but it is a good guitar. It doesn't really matter what others say. If you like it, get it.