So heres the story. i had been studying rock and roll culture and the guitarist lifestyle from age 8. i always knew that what i wanted was to become a great guitarist. maybe not the best, or famous, but atleast i would be able to call myself good or ok compared to others. but anyway... i have always been a fan of the metals, to think of it the first vinyl record i bought was powerslave, and i decided after a while to buy an electric guitar. i worked at a local mexican food shop (my aunts friend told me to wipe tables and go out and buy soda bottles.) until i scrapped around 200 bucks and picked up what at the time seemed like the coolest thing ever.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Player-Pack-102920451-i1150173.gc

when i got it i realised that it didnt sound very metal (it actually sounded a wee bit acoustic) . i figured it was me setting something up wrong. that would be the lighter thing. but what i also feel is that i should have asked more questions around stores and got opinions from musicians here about guitars and tone.

could either of these be the problem? any suggestions?
Digital Distribution sucks.
Turn up the gain.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Turn up the gain.

There is no gain switch :c
Digital Distribution sucks.
buy a distortion pedal and change out the pickups
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
buy a new guitar that is no better than the specail 2 i have and not so good i keep it around because my dad gave it to me and the ibanez cause it is the first one i bought myself.

the amp i have no excuse for they just came out and thought it was a good deal

the HM pedal i got is pretty good but i like to play punk wit it so...
song stuck in my head today

you never mentioned that you bought an amp as well....
I have nothing witty to say here at the moment

Expect a change soon
An amp generally comes in a starter pack, which is what he bought.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Your amp accounts for an extremely large portion of your distortion. Get a different amp.
I played an SG and a chinese strat from the same amp with the same settings and they didnt sound different at all. I played them both on gain, and than both on clean. No difference. wow.

T/S
Buy a cool amp/pedal, as long as its not too difficult to play, your axe is fine. Try a marshall amp, I think maiden use marshalls. Just please dont get the MG or the AVT. Not too nice. I've played a Valvestate, nice clean, not so nice distortion.

Anyway, I think this thread needs to go into the gear forums now.
Quote by Seani3
So heres the story. i had been studying rock and roll culture and the guitarist lifestyle from age 8. i always knew that what i wanted was to become a great guitarist. maybe not the best, or famous, but atleast i would be able to call myself good or ok compared to others. but anyway... i have always been a fan of the metals, to think of it the first vinyl record i bought was powerslave, and i decided after a while to buy an electric guitar. i worked at a local mexican food shop (my aunts friend told me to wipe tables and go out and buy soda bottles.) until i scrapped around 200 bucks and picked up what at the time seemed like the coolest thing ever.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Player-Pack-102920451-i1150173.gc

when i got it i realised that it didnt sound very metal (it actually sounded a wee bit acoustic) . i figured it was me setting something up wrong. that would be the lighter thing. but what i also feel is that i should have asked more questions around stores and got opinions from musicians here about guitars and tone.

could either of these be the problem? any suggestions?

You need to buy a new amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
new amp, try the guitar gear and accessories forum stating ur budget genre etc.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost