First of all, Portishead are awesome. I can't wait for their new album - the song on their myspace sounds ****ing amazing!

Secondly, I'd say turn up your bass a tad, boost low mids, and then leave the treble flat.
What exactly's so distinctive about this tone? Get pretty much any passive bass with 2 pickups or a neck pick, boost some bass, and roll of the bass' passive tone. I'll be surprised if any bass that I specified can get that tone on any amp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Charlatan_001
First of all, Portishead are awesome. I can't wait for their new album - the song on their myspace sounds ****ing amazing!

Secondly, I'd say turn up your bass a tad, boost low mids, and then leave the treble flat.

Are you talking about third?

That came out a few weeks ago
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Quote by leftybassdude
Are you talking about third?

That came out a few weeks ago

It's not out until next week, but it leaked weeks ago. It's really good - I'll be buying it.

As for the tone it's just a Fender Jazz with a bit of EQing.
Quote by thefitz
What exactly's so distinctive about this tone? Get pretty much any passive bass with 2 pickups or a neck pick, boost some bass, and roll of the bass' passive tone. I'll be surprised if any bass that I specified can get that tone on any amp.

Nothing majorly distinctive. Just a typical soul tone, and considering it was sampled from an Isaac Hayes song, unsurprising.

<3 Portishead though.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Yep. Amazing what you can find out with Google, a mug of coffee and a lot of patience.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.