Page 1 of 2
alright.. so forever I've wanted a decent tone for like leads and such.. so help me out here.. I just can't get one on my gear.. I plan to get a bigger amp soon, most likely a half-stack 4 x 12.. but not sure what to get.
out of marshalls and stuff, I can get killer rhythm tones.. sounds great but when it comes to the high notes, I want something that'll sound great..
You know what I'm saying.. one of those beautiful tones that are used everywhere..

some examples of what I'd like:
Synyster Gates
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w6ubCF11NU - pretty simple tone.. but sounds nice imo
JerryC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by8oyJztzwo - definatley my favorite tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvAA8i2LzGM&feature=related - another song
Funtwo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8&feature=related - somewhat cheesy, kind of cheap sounding tone but I like it.. it's really clean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQHe2ig4C0Q - pretty close to Jerrys, he just plays on bridge pickup the whole song.
Joe Satriani
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4fPv450OYM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c29PI3mDnwY&feature=related

of course there's tons more.. but I want a nice tone so bad.
sure style and maybe some delay and reverb add a part but still, on some parts such as the chorus in "Canon Rock" there isn't much going on other then straight notes and you can hear the tone simply plain as it is pretty much..
sure some people hate some of those tones, saying some are cheap sounding and stuff but I like them, I want a tone that isn't dull and sounds good.
Not worried about the guitar being a part as I have several to choose from so yeah if there's some guitars or pickups that can help get closer to a tone tell me :O
so yeah.. I definatley want an amp, I'm staying away from multi-effects pedals.. they don't have the warmth a tube amp does..
I was thinking of something like a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with a 4x12.. high gain.. all natural from the amp (hate stompboxes) and alot of people use them usually having good tones..
Carlos Santana uses a mesa but not one of the ones I mentioned.. I wouldn't even try getting his tone.. it's too amazing..
but like Synyster Gates plays on some kind.. and JerryCs tone is based on one of the amp models (I think dual) so yeah..
which brings me to what's the difference between single, dual, and triple rectifiers?

--

but yeah.. anyways tell me what amp you think I should get to get a nice lead tone but still have a great crunch to it (which is why I want a 4x12) for chords and such.. the crunch that makes the walls shake.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 22, 2008,
If you're looking for a Mesa, get a Mark IV.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
what's you're price range?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Apr 22, 2008,
I guess around 3 grand is the most I'd want to spend for a complete stack if I were to buy one.
and Shinozoku.. what about this Mark IV?
try a vox tube amp and run a pedal through it. i know you dont like pedals but at least give it a try. you get sweet versatility and great tone
you could look for a Mesa Roadking combo and it'll run you about 3 grand if im not mistaken.

the Roadking can do damn near everything, extremely versatile.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

If ur dropping $3000 get to a music store and try em all. Find the one you like best. Make sure you try out each amp fully. We can tell u what we like not what you like. Go fro a tube amp.
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
Quote by _DeX_
If ur dropping $3000 get to a music store and try em all. Find the one you like best. Make sure you try out each amp fully. We can tell u what we like not what you like. Go fro a tube amp.

yea...shame on me for not saying that first, i normally do

you shouldn't be dead locked on Mesa's (they are awesome amps) but it's always nice to go out and try some other amps as well, get a feel for what's out there before dropping 3 grand on an amp.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Yeah, there's tons of great amps.. but yeah I need to go to a music store.. there's just none around here..
but that'd be the best thing.. just test a load of amps out..
the reason I was considering a mesa was because of the whole high gain tube amp deal.
Im pretty dead set on a Mesa also. I doubt it is going to happen but I'm saving my money this summer for a Roadster. Awesome amp for the price. Even though Marshalls, Peaveys, and (Amp brand) may be cheaper or such and such, I have never played an amp that can cover so much tonal territory. I may have to try out the ENGL combos though. I've only tried a Richie Blackmore and a Powerball. WAYYYYYY too much gain for me.
there's supposedly a new amp going to be announced by mesa/boogie in a couple months... rumor has it. might be worth checking that out if its true.
Well Enough Alone
Mesa Road King II. It rapes and pillages villages.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
When it comes to higher gain amps, I'm usually pretty stumped.
But, I can give you tips on shopping for the right amp.
If you're dropping 3 grand on an amp, you wanna make darn sure that it's the best one for you, and for the price.
For example, when I was shopping for amps, I had a list of amps which I wanted to try out (mostly higher end fenders, voxes, bad cats, and the chicago blues box I ended up getting), there were about 10 to 15 amps on my first round of tests.

What I did, was when I first went to the store to play around, I wrote down a quick review of each amp after I have played each one extensively (when you're planning on spending alot of money, the salesmen don't mind you playing alot on each one), and evaluated which ones I didn't like. I then knocked off about 5 amps of the list.

I went back a few days later and did a second series of tests, knocked off 5 more.

I think I ended up between a final 3 amps. I tried each one for an hour, with different guitar, pedals, everything. I then knocked off one, and had a final two.

I then went back home and did research on the final two. Then I went back to actually buy an amp. I tried out both amps, and chose a final amp and paid for it and walked out the door with it.

It's a long process, but it's really worth it, especially if you are spending that much on an amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by TechnicolorType
Yeah, there's tons of great amps.. but yeah I need to go to a music store.. there's just none around here..
but that'd be the best thing.. just test a load of amps out..
the reason I was considering a mesa was because of the whole high gain tube amp deal.

don't get me wrong, Mesa's are amazing, i'm currently saving up for one myself

but it's always good to broaden your horizons just in case you find something you like over the Mesa.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by TechnicolorType
I guess around 3 grand is the most I'd want to spend for a complete stack if I were to buy one.
and Shinozoku.. what about this Mark IV?

It's one of the most versatile amps on the market and can get Fender cleans, Marshall crunch, insane distortion, and everything in between. It costs around $2k new, $1000-1400 used, and you could get whatever cabs you wanted to use with it (I'm gonna get a Vader cab when I get mine, which should suit me because I'll be playing progressive and death metal). The Road King is another great choice by Mesa, and as somebody mentioned earlier, ENGLs are amazing.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Apr 23, 2008,
How about a spider? Lolz

Look for ENGLs, maybe a powerball. Check out Bogners too.
And the problem with trying every amp you see it that it's super hard to remember things about each one.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
If you really want a great tone, do NOT get a 4x12. Totally unnecessary and you'll never be able to crank that loud enough to get the best tone out of it. If you can, find a 5-20 watt Mesa that you can run though a 1X12, or 2X12 the most. You want something you can crank and push the tubes without blowing eardrums - seriously.

I have a rectoverb combo (50 watt 1x12), and at a good practice level, it's gets some fabulous solo and rhythm tones on all the channels. It's also loud enough for any show I play (and I play a few hundred a year, in all settings including arenas). For anything louder than what this gets, you'll be miking the entire band anyway to mix the sound better. 4x12's are for 80's hair metal old guys, you'll never need it unless you need to look cool to cover up your playing. People will be much more impressed by fantastic playing and great tone than by the size of your speaker cabinet.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
^ most mesa amps can be run at half power so no worries there.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

^ most mesa amps can be run at half power so no worries there.

Not all. Though you could resort to pulling tubes.

which brings me to what's the difference between single, dual, and triple rectifiers?

Nothing really... the different between them is basically the wattage of the amp. The single is 50 watts, dual is 100 watts, and the triple is 150 watts. In terms of power and loudness, a Single will cover ALL your needs. Period. Don't kid yourself. A Dual is practically over-doing it in the volume-and-loudness category if you are largely playing at home or practicing (and is not worth it if you do not gig REGULARLY). But that's my opinion; many buy the Dual simply because they want one. And as for a Triple... yeah, you really shouldn't have one unless you are playing LARGE concerts.... it has that much power in it. But still... it is up to you... it's just that, if you get the higher wattages, and you try to play at home regularly, you will find that your amp is too loud, lol...

Aside from that... there are other minor differences. A Single has only 2 channels (1 clean, 1 high gain)... and both the Dual and Triple have 3 channels (1 clean; 2 high gain).
from what i hear though the newer Single and Duals Recs don't sound as good as the older ones.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

I know for a fact that Joe Satriani used Rockman gear on surfing with
the alien
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
that guy jerry's tone sounds like the thinnest uglyest piece of **** ive ever heard
That's because it's direct which is why I want an amp ^
and dgonz, dude I play loud as hell all the time and every 2x12 I've played on has never had that nice bassy crunch that 4x12s do which is what I'm going for, want something bigger not the same size as what I have :O

1x12 or 2x12 won't cut it, I don't sit around playing in my bedroom all the time.
When you're on a stage you need a little more power.
1 12 inch speaker doesn't do it.
Quote by TechnicolorType
That's because it's direct which is why I want an amp ^
and dgonz, dude I play loud as hell all the time and every 2x12 I've played on has never had that nice bassy crunch that 4x12s do which is what I'm going for, want something bigger not the same size as what I have :O

1x12 or 2x12 won't cut it, I don't sit around playing in my bedroom all the time.
When you're on a stage you need a little more power.
1 12 inch speaker doesn't do it.

Gotcha. Then yeah, for you, you'll want that 4x12, or two 2x12's. Try a Recto or Mark series, both great and versatile amps, as I'm sure you're aware of. If you have the cash, try a Soldano SLO100 and have Avatar make you a custom 4X12 with G12H30's and V30's mixed.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
What about a Mesa Stiletto?
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
A 1X12 has the possibility to be just as loud as a 4X12. It doesn't matter at all.
Quote by dgonz
Gotcha. Then yeah, for you, you'll want that 4x12, or two 2x12's. Try a Recto or Mark series, both great and versatile amps, as I'm sure you're aware of. If you have the cash, try a Soldano SLO100 and have Avatar make you a custom 4X12 with G12H30's and V30's mixed.

yeah :P
and the Soldano, those things can be pretty pricey.. but of course amazing, maybe I'll try one out.. but my father has a Soldano head.. not sure which but I don't think they make 'em.. don't see them on websites and stuff.. thing sounds amazing but not the gain I want.. so yeah I was thinking of a recto, don't know much about the mark series
what's the difference?

and what's the custom 4x12?
what do the two types do?

oh and Zander, 1x12 may be able to get enough power.. but there's a certain sound to 4x12 I like.
been copying down everyone's suggestions, so the Mark IV is probably the most popular one.. people say ENGLs are good to for what I'm going for.. never heard of them, not sure much about them.
but yeahh
gonna' take the list to try out at a store eventually.
Roadking is definitely my favourite Mesa, check out Splawn too, they are very popular
Marks are probably the most versatile amp made. There are sooooooooo many things to tweak and change. It will take a little while to find "your sound" but it's in there for sure, and a thousand more. Great gain, very clear focused tone, even with tons of gain, coolest clean tones I've heard, even against Fender.
most of the videos you've posted remind me of 80's shred tone.. if u want a mesa, i say get a stiletto.
yea, the Mark IV comes in a head form, and you can buy a cab for it as well.

the only thing i don't like about the Mark IV is that you would have to sit there and dial tones for a while before you find something you really like.

i tend to value simplicity
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
...the only thing i don't like about the Mark IV is that you would have to sit there and dial tones for a while before you find something you really like.

I'll agree with that. Some will argue that it is NOT a tweaker's amp (though mesa brags about it being one). Since there are so many options there, you CAN get a bad sound, no doubt, and I've heard them. But, with a little time (like a day of testing and playing), it shouldn't be a problem at all, and the tones you'll find are well worth any effort.

Rectos can get a lot of tones, more than most people realize since they label them as super-hi gain numetal amps. They can do that well, but there are much more to them. The Vintage channel most people don't even use, and it's the one I use all the time. VERY warm, great gain, everything from old rock, to blues to Santana are all there, and then some.
Stilettos have a phenominal lead tone.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Page 1 of 2