Ok, so once again, I am on the quest for new equipment. First off, I think I'm gonna pick up a new guitar. I play mostly Classic Rock, but I do delve into most other genres from time to time (metal, blues, country, that sort of thing, just not jazz). I'm thinking that I should most likely get a Les Paul, particularly an Epiphone, since I don't have much cash (read as: <$500) at the time. So, I'm having trouble picking which model of Les Paul: the Standard, Custom, or Classic. I'm thinking that if I get a Standard, I can probably get a cheap pedal to go with my amp later on, but if I get a Custom or Classic, there's no way I can afford the pedal too. Really, my question is mostly about the pickups. Which guitar's pickups would be more suited for my musical preferences?
personally i'd go for the Custom, i think its worth the extra cash...I find it just feels better and has a better sound than the standard
A better idea would be to buy an Agile of some sort, better value..you'll have more money left over to buy stuff with
I recommend a pup change
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Epi Standards are very good. Also, all three you mentioned have the exact same pickups. Not so great Epi ones. I'd get a new bridge pickup (maybe a duncan custom 5).
Also, I'd go for an Agile Al-3000MAP, since it has a maple top for sure.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I found a Classic Quilt Top with a SH-6 in the bridge for about 450 dollars... how's that?
dud3..g3t what I got...an agile AL-3100 it ROCKS!!
Originally Posted by: Colgate Total
"Trim and lube your nut, and your g string should fit in just fine with no friction".
I was recently in this same situation and ended up getting an Agile-3000. I found it to be better than all the Epiphones I played and the Gibson Studios and would reccomend it to anyone.
I can get brand new Silverburst Les Paul Customs and a case from eBay for $400... how's that?
I don't know about the Silverburst (never heard of that brand), but the epi LP Custom is ridiculously overpriced. The pickups are the same as on the standard and the quality does not change (at least not enough to justify the extra cost). I say go with the standard, but instead of buying a pedal, see if you can replace at least the bridge pickup, as it sounds horribly muddy.
Quote by TheQuailman
I don't know about the Silverburst (never heard of that brand), but the epi LP Custom is ridiculously overpriced. The pickups are the same as on the standard and the quality does not change (at least not enough to justify the extra cost). I say go with the standard, but instead of buying a pedal, see if you can replace at least the bridge pickup, as it sounds horribly muddy.

Silverburst is the finish, not the brand.
I'd say get a new amp. Any pedal you put in front of that amp will still sound like shit.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
go for the custom but try a few out cus the quality controls aren't always great.
personally i'd go with an agile if u want to stay on the 500 $ budget. if not i'd save up some more cash and try to buy a used gibson
I intend to buy the new amp after I purchase the guitar. I'm thinking probably a Valvetronix AD30, so then I won't have to purchase any pedals for a while.
I just got a Agile 3100, and I did have a problem with a bad pickup selector, but they sent me out another guitar and it is nothing short of amazing
Quote by masterk1818
I tell him to stop but he doesn't listen.

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

^if you don't get it, search for Duel of the Farts
Quote by Xoth
Ok, so once again, I am on the quest for new equipment. First off, I think I'm gonna pick up a new guitar. I play mostly Classic Rock, but I do delve into most other genres from time to time (metal, blues, country, that sort of thing, just not jazz). I'm thinking that I should most likely get a Les Paul, particularly an Epiphone, since I don't have much cash (read as: <$500) at the time. So, I'm having trouble picking which model of Les Paul: the Standard, Custom, or Classic. I'm thinking that if I get a Standard, I can probably get a cheap pedal to go with my amp later on, but if I get a Custom or Classic, there's no way I can afford the pedal too. Really, my question is mostly about the pickups. Which guitar's pickups would be more suited for my musical preferences?

Why no love for t3h jazz0rz?